Clutches??

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Clutches??

Postby blacktop™ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:25 pm

My mechanic got me to sit in the car and press on the clutch pedal and he could tell by watching whatever arm move in the engine bay whether it was a pull or push type.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Wow, very detailed info BBB. Will be useful for future reference.

And thanks blacktop. Because I'm away for a few weeks, my mechanic was able to pull the whole assembly and send it away. But usually good to know a few details beforehand.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:56 am

Just a quick update - still no clutch.... I dropped my car off with the mechanic over 3.5 weeks ago, and thought it'd be done when I got back on Tue. Centre diff is done and all the little items I supplied (trans mount, reverse switch, shifter bushings etc). But with Jim Berry moving and having surgery, he hasn't supplied a clutch yet, so my car is still sitting at the mechanic.

Not a massive inconvenience for me, because I have the work van - but more impatient than anything to finally drive my car again :wink: .
Last edited by tom_kauf on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Got my car back today!! :D Only took 5 weeks :? (1 day short of 5 weeks, to be exact). I've posted roughly the same on the Centre Diff thread, but they're all seem to discuss both Clutche and Diff.

The bad news is, the Clunking noise when turning is still there a little bit (MUCH better, but not fully gone). I'll get them to check if I also have a slight steering issue, or what it could be. I haven't been able to test it much at low speed, just went for a spirited drive.

I have serious doubts about the stuff-up with the Centre Diff I ordered from Tuspeed being the wrong one. Adam was happy to give me store credit, so that's fine. And I have no evidence either way on the Diff, but I half suspected the dealership had an issue with me supplying parts (although they were happy to quote a price for just labour). Today when I picked up the car they also claimed the Reverse Switch and Gear Shifter Bushings were wrong. But the joke is on them, because the dealer's own parts section supplied those. And when I got home, I noticed that the Part# they billed me for was the EXACT same as what I had :angry2: . So they'll definitely hear about that next week.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

In a lighter note, the clutch is AMAZING 8) . Jim Berry is basically the reason the car took so long (he moved workshops and semi-retired, as well as having surgery). But I have no pics, sorry - no one told me it had arrived. Was $1287 for the clutch itself in the end with postage. Not cheap, so it better last a looooong time.

The pickup is too low for me though (it feels like it's about 2cm off the floor - probably 5cm in reality). It's adjusted fine, but doesn't feel natural.
Does anyone know if that can be adjusted easily (ie on the pedal end, or linkage)?

I was lucky to have a 240mm pull-type clutch, which means he could use a really good Sachs pressure plate :D . It's weird because mine is an MY09, and later model Gen4s like mine often have 230mm clutches. Anyway, I'm not complaining.

The pedal weight is no firmer than stock, which is great for me (especially in traffic).
The clutch bite is fantastic. Despite that, the clutch is still very progressive - definitely no problem for daily driving. Really good on hard downshifts, and I now get wheelspin on launches which I never used to despite my pretty sticky Bridgestone S001 tyres (although the roads I was on weren't super-grippy, but still impressive). I've always had to turn traction control off, otherwise it kicks in, but the approx solid 1/4sec - 1/2sec of wheelspin is new.

The shifter is pretty notchy now with the STi trans mount and last stock shifter bushes replaced (and STi Short Shifter that I had previously). For me it's almost too notchy - but think it will improve a bit once it loosens up. The Short Shifter had definitely loosened up a tiny bit in the last 6 months, which was nicer for daily driving. I'm glad I didn't go with the GroupN mount. There's a lot more driveline vibration in some situations eg when I'm trying to cruise in a gear that's too low. I know I should just change gear, but sometimes I cruise through large roundabouts in 6th. That used to be fine, even if I could feel the engine wasn't at optimal revs for a little bit (but it didn't vibrate through the driveline much). But now the whole vibration is transferred through to the cabin quite a bit. But that's ok...
The section of the shifter inside the cabin now has a weird squeak. No idea why, but the plastic/nylon ball joints will just get some more grease at some stage.

Sorry for the long posts, but that's the full review....
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:35 am

That's great!
Yes afaik the clutch pedal does have an adjuster somewhere around or above the pivot.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby jacks-GTB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:23 pm

good news...

I didn't know the manual spec b's had traction control button...mine doesn't have one...not even a traction light
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:50 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:That's great!
Yes afaik the clutch pedal does have an adjuster somewhere around or above the pivot.

Cool, that's good to hear. I read today that it can be adjusted on the pedal end (not sure if that is the pivot but WRX Forums had pretty good guides I discovered). I'll tackle that this weekend - but it's apparently very easy.

jacks-GTB wrote:good news...

I didn't know the manual spec b's had traction control button...mine doesn't have one...not even a traction light

Oh really? I read somewhere that the traction control deactivation button was a dealer option for Auto cars, but I thought manuals cars had them standard. It's left of the steering wheel, under the gauge cluster.

I'd be surprised if u didn't have TC, I thought it was standard on all Gen4s. Those without the button just can't deactivate it. Your car has quite a bit of power over stock, so you've never had TC kick in? (irrespective of having a button/light)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 pm

I had a second hand cluster put in a calibrated to the immobiliser but now i cant turn traction off although when i get some wheel spin traction control doesnt seem to kick in. Not sure if they somehow deactivated TC when calibrating the cluster but the misses feels unsafe when shes driving just impacting her piece of mind more or less not that she needs it
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:I had a second hand cluster put in a calibrated to the immobiliser but now i cant turn traction off although when i get some wheel spin traction control doesnt seem to kick in. Not sure if they somehow deactivated TC when calibrating the cluster but the misses feels unsafe when shes driving just impacting her piece of mind more or less not that she needs it

Sorry Brunsy3.0, not sure about that one. But have you checked if you get a traction control light come on when you think it kicks in (the orange symbol with the car and squiggly tyre tracks)? Or at least, does the light come on when all lights are illuminated when the ignition is first turned on?
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 am

Since install ive never seen the orange symbol. I will have to test it out properly but seems the rear foglight symbol is illuminated on initial startup however there are no rear foglights. Assuming this cluster came from an outback or similar.
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 am

Ah ok. I would've said your bulb might be blown if it doesn't even illuminate with the ignition on. But with you and jacks-GTB both not having buttons or lights - maybe I'm the odd one out.

Ours cars are all post-facelift, so no difference there. Could it be that very late-model Gen4s got TC? I couldn't see what your MY models are, but mine is the very last in 2008 (MY09).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:51 am

This thread kinda confirms I'm the odd one out having TC (or rather Stability Control aka VDC) on a manual:
But I know of a local post-FL Auto GTSpecB owner who doesn't have the button (not sure if he has VDC).

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13243
Ric wrote:Manual or auto?
If it's a manual...it doesn't have it.
If it's an auto....there should be a button for it.

B8ZE wrote:Mine doesn't have the button...The dealer manual says only on selected models meh :roll:

And, this may prove my theory about late model cars having VDC:
coyote wrote:....Next year [2008], vehicles will be required to have stability control to have a 5 star crash rating. That means either Subaru will either have to change their policy of offering this feature on their cheapest car and refusing to fit it to their most expensive .. or be downgraded to 4 stars.
Of course they will go for the former and the resale of non VDC vehicles will reflect this.

And may even be a mix around 2008:
Moi wrote:I can also vouch for all MY09 GTBs since this VDC info is available on the Subaru website which lists GTBs at 5 star which means they have VDC.
Since Subaru gradually introduced VDC into the GTBs post MY07, it maybe that some MY08 models were again skipped. Since testing for the MY08 would have occured before Jan 2008, it maybe that it still kept its 5 star ANCAP for that year or maybe Subaru didn't sell it as 5 star.

And lastly, it may depend on whether the car has the pack that included Satnav (mine does):
Kekotic wrote:I know that the 2008 Sat Nav option included VDC, which basically means pay $3000 for this Sat Nav system we devised years ago that costs us $300, and we will give you *free* VDC.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Mine definately had it until i put in a different dash cluster im trying to get subaru to recalibrate it but they're nearly 400km away and dont seem to want to go to too much trouble
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific