Radiator replacement options?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Radiator replacement options?

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:16 pm

My radiator is leaking between the plastic top and the alloy core.. Slowly thankfully...
Time to get it replaced, from my research so far, my options are:
OE replacement and fitting from Docklands at approx $700
BYO radiator plus 5L coolant plus 2 hours labor to fit at Docklands
BYO radiator and DIY fit

The BYO radiator options are the Koyo and Mishimoto all alloy stock replacements.
Does anyone have any advice for me as regards reducing costs, parts sourcing and the long term advantages of the all alloy radiators?

Edited for clarity ^^^ :D
Last edited by bigBADbenny on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Radiator replacement options?

Postby 3rspecb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 am

have you priced getting your plastic tanks replaced ??

From memory Justin had both tanks replaced and his radiator cleaned through NATRAD, cost around $200ish, best to PM him for actual cost.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 am

Cheers very much, will do!
There's a leak somewhere on the rad itself probably between the plastic top and the alloy core.
I'm very tempted to upgrade from the OE type to all alloy. Thus the request for any info or feedback. :D
Also PM'd jacks-GTB about his 42mm STi Mishimoto for more info.
bigBADbenny

Postby Shaheenis » Sun May 03, 2015 8:44 am

Hey Ben, what did you end up doing here? Looks like my radiator top tank is leaking, I can see coolant sitting all around the crimped flange but otherwise the radiator looks new. Haven't definitely narrowed it down to radiator yet but looks like the likely cause, the seal under the end tank. There are signs of spray on both sides of the radiator (on timing belt covers near battery and under intake snorkel).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun May 03, 2015 10:03 am

Shaheenis wrote:Hey Ben, what did you end up doing here? Looks like my radiator top tank is leaking, I can see coolant sitting all around the crimped flange but otherwise the radiator looks new. Haven't definitely narrowed it down to radiator yet but looks like the likely cause, the seal under the end tank. There are signs of spray on both sides of the radiator (on timing belt covers near battery and under intake snorkel).

Mishimoto Radiator is a great choice
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Manaz » Sun May 03, 2015 2:12 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Shaheenis wrote:Hey Ben, what did you end up doing here? Looks like my radiator top tank is leaking, I can see coolant sitting all around the crimped flange but otherwise the radiator looks new. Haven't definitely narrowed it down to radiator yet but looks like the likely cause, the seal under the end tank. There are signs of spray on both sides of the radiator (on timing belt covers near battery and under intake snorkel).

Mishimoto Radiator is a great choice

I don't believe Mishimoto do one for the 5EAT though (fine for Benny, not for me :().
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun May 03, 2015 2:50 pm

'Spray marks' sound more serious than just 'leaking marks'? If it's really spraying, check you haven't done a headgasket
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Shaheenis » Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 pm

No headgasket, it is leaking around the top of radiator, confirmed this afternoon after cleaning, re-filling and going for a drive. You can see all of the coolant just sitting around the seal. I saw Serge working on a WRX not so long ago that had exactly the same problem, disappointing really given the car has a full service history and the end tank looks new so I think the seal is just stuffed. The Mishimoto has two types, 'X-LINE 3 row' racing version for $100 more or standard replacement. I don't think I would get benefit from the more expensive one. Replacing top tank and seal would be cheapest option but the Mishimoto looks like it will last the life of the car. I am due for a timing belt so might do waterpump and hoses too, just to be done with it.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby zero1 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm

I just cracked my radiator yesterday, coolant all under the engine bay...same as you Shaheenis :(
DRINK APPLE JUICE COZ OJ WILL KILL YOU
zero1
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty TbSti

Postby Shaheenis » Mon May 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Well I just got a quote from Subaru for the parts, the radiators have come down a lot in price recently from ~$807 retail to ~$528 but I am still thinking Mishimoto is a better option, just won't look as stock. The hoses are $39.85 each for genuine versus $90 each for Silicon Mishimoto ones.

Does anyone see the point in using silicon hoses instead of genuine for the radiator? The only reason I am considering is because the Mishimoto do look like excellent quality but if the genuine items have last 125K, I am not sure I can justify.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby zero1 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm around the same km travelled. But I couldn't justify spending 500+ on a oem radiator. I bought at Natrad for 200+ 200 for installation new hoses and a full system flush. Going in this Wednesday
DRINK APPLE JUICE COZ OJ WILL KILL YOU
zero1
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty TbSti

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 04, 2015 4:10 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:An esteemed forum member sourced and installed a stock replacement for mine via bursons for around $350 iirc.
There's less expensive versions on eBay.
Iirc manual and auto are different part numbers...
It's very diyable. Budget an extra $120 for 2x big bottles of Subaru genuine green coolant.

Upgrades for very modded cars include the mishimoto alloy radiators for extra capacity and cooling headroom.

In the meantime use an obdii plug and app to keep an eye on your temps, eg torque or better, btssm.
The ECU temp monitor is more accurate than the gauge.
Clean the area of dried coolant so you can pinpoint the source, eg seam or hose.
And keep an eye on the coolant level!!! :P
bigBADbenny

Postby Shaheenis » Tue May 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Pulled the radiator out after work today and thermostat tested working fine. Should receive a new Mishimoto 2 row on Friday for fitting this weekend. Dead easy to replace, just the draining coolant is always a bit messy. I was shocked by how thin the radiator core is in this vehicle. Not much thicker than a piece of toast :P.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby THE SpecB » Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 am

Shaheenis wrote:Pulled the radiator out after work today and thermostat tested working fine. Should receive a new Mishimoto 2 row on Friday for fitting this weekend. Dead easy to replace, just the draining coolant is always a bit messy. I was shocked by how thin the radiator core is in this vehicle. Not much thicker than a piece of toast :P.

OEM Tim would have been a good option to keep under the hood original. Yes sure more $ but worth it IMO to keep the stock look and later for resale.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 06, 2015 11:29 am

Its ok, I have dibs on his white manual wagon already :P
bigBADbenny

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific