Radiator replacement options?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Radiator replacement options?

Postby Shaheenis » Wed May 06, 2015 3:53 pm

:). I think anyone who would appreciate this vehicle would appreciate the balance between originality and sensible well considered upgrades. The genuine radiator to me looks no better than a $200 equivalent you can get off ebay. With that said, I would usually go for OEM parts and despite what others might say negatively about them, Genuine Subaru parts are usually of far superior quality to cheaper replacement options. It really depends on what it is. The Mishimoto radiator looks like superior quality and a top warranty to back it up. A no brainer for me. It will match my TMIC ;). I can always look to get the end tank seal replaced as the core is A1 and refit when I re-sell ;).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby THE SpecB » Wed May 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Shaheenis wrote::). I think anyone who would appreciate this vehicle would appreciate the balance between originality and sensible well considered upgrades. The genuine radiator to me looks no better than a $200 equivalent you can get off ebay. With that said, I would usually go for OEM parts and despite what others might say negatively about them, Genuine Subaru parts are usually of far superior quality to cheaper replacement options. It really depends on what it is. The Mishimoto radiator looks like superior quality and a top warranty to back it up. A no brainer for me. It will match my TMIC ;). I can always look to get the end tank seal replaced as the core is A1 and refit when I re-sell ;).

True Tim re matching Top mount :)
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby Manaz » Mon May 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Just had a good look at the Mishimoto site - apparently I can use the manual-car radiator, as long as I put in a separate auto trans cooler (they offer one).

Tempting...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Shaheenis » Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 pm

I am still waiting on mine, will let you know what I think once I receive and install this week. After doing some more reading and reviews on Mishimoto you would be mad to replace with an OEM radiator with plastic end tanks. Plastic end tanks are just inferior quality and prone to issues and in the case of Subaru more expensive than a high quality full alloy radiator with 30-50% more tubes for cooling (and that is the entry level one). For me it will come down to fitment. I won't be happy if it isn't a direct bolt-in. You are always better off with an aftermarket trans cooler anyways. In my 92 wagon I have it plumbed in series through the radiator cooler and an aftermarket cooler ;).
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Shaheenis » Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 am

More info on my members page if anyone is interested.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28597&start=45#p407323
This just arrived:

Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific