2007+ SI-DRIVE and Boost Control

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

2007+ SI-DRIVE and Boost Control

Postby viriix » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:47 pm

Ever since I saw Louey's HKS EVC V it's made me want one... I was stopped for a moment when doubts were clouded whether it would work or not.. which was somewhat de-moralising and dissapointing because of concerns potentially with the SI-DRIVE..

There have been mixed opinions and I don't think we still have anyone who's got one.. yet.. ;)

I can hardly find information on any other forums but.. bumped into this article from a dealership in Canada;

http://www.dexterssubaru.com/NewsDetail02.asp?ArticleID=2724&OwnerID=&WebPageID=4749&WebSiteID=179

3/4 down the page you will see

"How SI-DRIVE Works" and

Turbocharger boost and AVCS operation remain unaffected with SI-DRIVE

Hmm interesting.. I'm thinking perhaps it's time to give it a go? That definately makes me feel a bit more confident!

C'mon Phil hurry up!
Current: MY12 Tornado Red VW Golf GTI
Past: MY07 Pearl White Subaru Liberty GT-B | MY04 Arctic Blue Honda Accord Euro-L | MY2K Salsa Red Dodge Neon
viriix

Postby moggy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:29 pm

Thanks for the link, that's a very interesting read. :wink:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Postby 07GTSTi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:24 am

yeah... I want a boost controller.
2007 GT Spec B Tuned by STi Manual #213/300
07GTSTi

Postby EXPLICIT » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:21 am

More than likely its a fueling and timing map that varies on each I-drive selection. So in theory the amount of boost you 'tune' when in S# mode won't affect any of the lessor settings. Having said that if you're stretching the friendship with the engines boost threshold with plenty of fuel and timing to match it 'could' be a concern when commuting on full boost in Intelligent mode. Tuning the boost controller with a dyno and afr readouts would be recommended.

Once the ecu has been cracked and we begin to tune it, the very nature if the SI-Drive will become apparent.
EXPLICIT

Postby MY07GT » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:39 am

Nice work Aj.

Well once my exhaust is sorted, hopefully this weekend. The hks evc will be the first thing in! Got it waiting at PHAT's house.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby sleepergtb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:03 am

From what I have expereinced, standard I modes runs 7 PSI and S and S# 13.5 PSI.

There are already tuners out there will a good understanding of SI Drive and how it has been tuned/achieved.

I am not convinced that you will not get inconsistent result and or codes being thrown going methods other than the tuning route. Time will tell however I suppose.
sleepergtb

Postby 07GTSTi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:43 pm

I would say that getting the boost controller at the same time as a tune would be the best option.
If it all holds together in S#, there shouldn't be any problems with other modes, running less advance, etc.
07GTSTi

Postby sleepergtb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:32 pm

07GTSTi wrote:I would say that getting the boost controller at the same time as a tune would be the best option.
If it all holds together in S#, there shouldn't be any problems with other modes, running less advance, etc.

this is good advice and is what I did, I mode now runs 10PSI and is more usable day to day.
Last edited by sleepergtb on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepergtb

Postby viriix » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:32 am

makes sense..

I'll sit back and see how it goes with phil ;)
Current: MY12 Tornado Red VW Golf GTI
Past: MY07 Pearl White Subaru Liberty GT-B | MY04 Arctic Blue Honda Accord Euro-L | MY2K Salsa Red Dodge Neon
viriix

Postby MY07GT » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:27 am

viriix wrote:makes sense..

Bastard! Let me be the guinea pig why dontcha!

Well once i find time to drop off my car to have the exhaust sorted, the evc will be on after that!

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby Resonate » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:38 pm

Nice find. 8)

I bet alot of us will be interested to see how it turns out.
Resonate

Car: MY07 GT-B (Diamond Grey)

Postby yipming » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:07 pm

The SI-Drive control boost indirectly I reckon. Since max boost would need full throttle to create enough exhaust pressure to push the turbine. By simply restricting throttle the max boost should theoretically drop too. So the article saying SI-Drive dont actually manipulate boost/avc would make sense. Since to the car, "I" mode is simply electronically forced light footed driver.

But Subaru uses MAP rather than AFM though, a tune would be needed rather than a simple wastegate bypass valve. Unlike Nissans... Otherwise the A/F ratio would be thrown completely off.

Hmm ... obviously I reserved the right to be completely wrong. =P
yipming

Car: Subaru Liberty GTB

Postby MY07GT » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Only time will tell people. I dont think anyone is willing to take that risk to find out.... except for my stoopid ass.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby 07GTSTi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

To my limited understanding, the Si-Drive is a subfeature of the ECU, for cerain parameters ie. throttle control, ignition and fuel. Boost control is still a feature, but not altered with the different Si-Drive settings.

So when you get a reflash of the ecu, you should be able to increase the amount of boost, in the same way that previous models have.

So then, the main advantage of an aftermarket EBC (when already having a tune) is adjustability and the ability to have separate low/high boost settings.

Chances are I'm wrong though.
07GTSTi

Postby LIBIDO » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:04 pm

viriix wrote:makes sense..

mate i reckon u should pay royalties to Phil for his trial and error!!
LIBIDO

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific