Extractors for the 2.5T

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby Boxer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:21 am

Thanks OzSti,

XRC15T - Understand that,

Just curious I spose
Last edited by Boxer on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby OzSTi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:52 am

I drove the car for about a month with just the exhaust changes before the Ecutek was available for the SI drive (mine was one of the first to be done).

Given the car was still very new and tight (about 2000km) and I was under strict instructions from the tuner not to use S# or full throttle for fear of boost spikes, you could easily feel the difference in willingness to spool up.
Michael.
OzSTi

Car: '16 Mustang GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23470

Postby PRO20B » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:05 pm

OzSTi wrote:I'll get back to my STi mate and see if he knows what's on his.

Just wondering if you ended up finding this out?

Cheers
Daniel
MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi Pearl White Sedan 6MT #080/250

RIP - MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi OBP Sedan 6MT #092/250
PRO20B

Postby PRO20B » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:06 pm

animal wrote:Michael the Liberty has equal length headers already as they have the twin scroll turbo instead of the single scroll. I have the Perrin myself which are at S & J if you want to check them out.

Have you had them installed yet, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Cheers
Daniel
MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi Pearl White Sedan 6MT #080/250

RIP - MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi OBP Sedan 6MT #092/250
PRO20B

Postby AdamW » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:06 am

Anymore updates on headers?

What’s the difference between equal and unequal length headers performance wise? (& why?)

Has anyone fitted either type? Was there much of a change in exhaust note? Ie loss of boxer note with equal length headers?..

Unequal length headers

V’s

Equal length headers
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Postby swingn » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:16 am

Unsure about the EJ25T Libs, but I know the EJ20T's run equal / tune length headers from factory.

Equal length is what you want for performance gain. To my knowledge, not a lot of "normal" cars come from factory with equal length headers, thus why when say someone running a SR20 does an upgrade, there is a good / noticable gain.

Unequal length headers (Like what the WRX's come with) will give you that boxer burble we all know & love, but you will loose power - But not much mind you, just depends of what your aiming to achieve.

There is a reason as to why the WRX comes with unequal headers, but I will make a rather large fool of myself if I try to explain :P
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby AdamW » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 am

Just received this from my mechanic (who also sells headers)..

“I should also clarify here these gains are on cars usually running 20psi boost, or more with larger turbo's so larger flow rates...
If you wish to retain a similar boxer note, then I would not be changing from the standard headers...
A lot of these mods, will only give you an increase in power and torque if you are running higher boost levels and flow rates, which you really only get form LARGE Turbo's.. Aftermarket headers will not give you any power or torque gain at 15psi on a small IHI Turbo flow rate....
You will only achieve a gain, if the part you are replacing is causing a restriction in the system or is inefficient...
eg. Restrictive Exhaust, Poor Air Box Design, Restrictive Intercooler core ... etc.... At 15psi Boost from the standard IHI Turbo the standard headers are not causing a flow problem...”
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific