Motor Oil for MY07 GT B

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby MY08GT-B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:55 pm

Regular changes are the key whether it is synthetic or not. However not all oils calling themselves synthetic are good and not all mineral oils are bad
Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby GT25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Mine's running REPSOL full synthetic 5W/40

Greg
MY07 GT Spec B Wagon; 6MT; Obsidian/Beige
GT25

Car: MY07 GT Spec B 6MT Wagon

Postby TorpedoCreative » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:21 pm

I used to change the oil every 5k (filter every 10K) with my RS Lib, Now that I have a newer car (MY07GT) is this excessive? what time intervals is everyone else doing?

J
TEAM BLACK: 6MT Liberty GT-B TbSTi (167/300) stock-ish ;)

Torpedo Creative [JAMES]

http://www.torpedo.com.au
TorpedoCreative

Car: 07 GT-B Liberty Tuned by STi

Postby coyote » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:48 pm

6,000km

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby Spec B Wgn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:45 pm

TorpedoCreative wrote:I used to change the oil every 5k (filter every 10K) with my RS Lib, Now that I have a newer car (MY07GT) is this excessive? what time intervals is everyone else doing?

J

every 5,000 both filter & oil

just doing one only defeats the purpoose IMO

why put clean oil into a dirty filter ????

every 6 mths i do an engine flush.
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

oil

Postby jp928 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:22 am

I have been at a lecture by a Ryco filter man and the filter change topic came up. He pointed out that all filters are a compromise between getting out the particles that matter, and time to clogging. If you start taking out say 10micron particles from start, by the time you have all these and larger out, the fabric will be starting to clog early. Most normal car filters aim at 20micron starting up, and as the 20micron pores get closed, the smaller particles will get caught as well. In short, changing filter TOO early before its started to take out the smaller particles can defeat the purpose somewhat.
The best type, if you can get them, are those that combine a normal bypass section with a full flow section - the bypass takes 80% of flow, and ensures that no part goes without oil; the full flow takes the other 20%, but its going to clog before the bypass section. Some 4x4s have such filters available AFAIK.
Also a guy in a Porsche list decided to systematically test their 15k mile (24k km) oil change interval by doing a base test on an oil (Mobil Delvac 5w40) new, and then follow up with Used oil Analysis every 3-5k kms. In a hard driven 1990 928 (5l V8) over a year doing 15k kms, every test came back as "Suitable for continued use" from the same test lab. One test showed a blip in Silicon, and when he checked , the air cleaner element had come off its seat and was letting dust past.
Conclusion was that in modern engines with modern oils, changing at less than recommended intervals in normal usage is a waste of money.
jp
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Postby deucer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am

I'd have to agree with jp928.

I've got a Hilux Surf 4WD also and have done oil analysis tests in it using Mobil 1. As you might know, the engine oil in a diesel turns black almost immediately... that's good! Means it's doing its thing.

I had tests done out to 10,000km on Mobil 1 in the Surf (recommended service intervals of 5,000km) and the oil still had all the sufficient additives and was suitable for continued use.

I haven't had my Liberty for long enough yet, but I'll be doing Mobil 1 5W-30 every 12,500km. No point changing expensive oil before it's used by date! Just throwing money down the drain I reckon.

Cheers,
Deucer.
Ex MY05 3.0R-B Wagon... But Still in the Blood.
deucer

Postby Spec B Wgn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:32 am

all the above is true providing its just normal driving...

throw in a track day or spirited driving event and i still think its good insurance to be changing the oil regularly ... and filter
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby deucer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Valid point.... 'normal driving' assumption implied.

I can't vouch for a track day... but interestingly, some of the worst kind of driving for an engine in terms of oil health is short duration, stop-start city driving. The oil under those circumstances doesn't get to heat up properly and burn off all the acids that accumulate in the oil as a by-product of combustion. This wears the engine REAL quick! Good engine oils have plenty of alkaline additives to combat the acids... but they can only do so much. Under those conditions (heavy towing and extremely dusty environments included), more frequent oil changes are a must!

Cheers,
Deucer.
Ex MY05 3.0R-B Wagon... But Still in the Blood.
deucer

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific