Power mods advice

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Power mods advice

Postby mynameisdaniel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Is E85 an option for you? Huge power/$ ratio. Just need pump and injectors, I'm currently at 170kW with dump pipe, mid pipe, standard STi mufflers and a tune on 98.

Switched to E85 on a base map today and I can already tell it's going to be a huge improvement, I think the car drives better on the base map than the old 98 tune (not that I was pushing it).

Will be dyno tuned tomorrow morning so pretty excited to see the results!
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby UniqueRS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 am

You won't get more than 200kwatw with out rebuilding the engine, standard pistons (especially 2.5L) will break the ringlands, anyone saying they have 250kw on a standard engine is lying, changed engines or is broken and they don't know it yet, have just finished a '08 liberty STI with a full stroker 2.6L cosworth long engine, Tumble valve deletes, CAI, silicone intake, blouch turbo, fuel system and made just under 250kw on a roller dyno, well over $20k to get this at a somewhat reliable level.

Best bang for buck is exhaust and tune, CAI makes almost no difference and brings tuning complications with the airflow meter (can be done but may introduce more tuning cost based on time), intercooler makes no power, only helps maintain cooler air, silicone intake is difficult to fit and the small difference it makes you probably won't feel, if the turbo choice isn't going to fit your exhaust, you'll be pulling the engine out to rebuild it to make proper use of the turbo.
In short, exhaust, tune, TMIC and a bolt on turbo (VF52 or a smallish blouch turbo) is about all that can be done on a standard engine. just be aware the turbo choice can affect the intercooler that is ordered, can either be a bolt to turbo I/C or one that has a hose all the way to the turbo.
http://www.processwest.com.au/products/ ... ntercooler (Standard style turbo)
http://www.processwest.com.au/images/ar ... ler-10.jpg (Hose for other turbo setup)
UniqueRS

Car: RS Turbo

Postby Kekotic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:27 am

UniqueRS wrote:You won't get more than 200kwatw with out rebuilding the engine, standard pistons (especially 2.5L) will break the ringlands, anyone saying they have 250kw on a standard engine is lying, changed engines or is broken and they don't know it yet, have just finished a '08 liberty STI with a full stroker 2.6L cosworth long engine, Tumble valve deletes, CAI, silicone intake, blouch turbo, fuel system and made just under 250kw on a roller dyno, well over $20k to get this at a somewhat reliable level.

There are a few Garage 88 2.5s running 220-240 on unopened engines for like 4 years.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby owen » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:12 am

UniqueRS wrote:You won't get more than 200kwatw with out rebuilding the engine, standard pistons (especially 2.5L) will break the ringlands, anyone saying they have 250kw on a standard engine is lying, changed engines or is broken and they don't know it yet, have just finished a '08 liberty STI with a full stroker 2.6L cosworth long engine, Tumble valve deletes, CAI, silicone intake, blouch turbo, fuel system and made just under 250kw on a roller dyno, well over $20k to get this at a somewhat reliable level.

Best bang for buck is exhaust and tune, CAI makes almost no difference and brings tuning complications with the airflow meter (can be done but may introduce more tuning cost based on time), intercooler makes no power, only helps maintain cooler air, silicone intake is difficult to fit and the small difference it makes you probably won't feel, if the turbo choice isn't going to fit your exhaust, you'll be pulling the engine out to rebuild it to make proper use of the turbo.
In short, exhaust, tune, TMIC and a bolt on turbo (VF52 or a smallish blouch turbo) is about all that can be done on a standard engine. just be aware the turbo choice can affect the intercooler that is ordered, can either be a bolt to turbo I/C or one that has a hose all the way to the turbo.
http://www.processwest.com.au/products/ ... ntercooler (Standard style turbo)
http://www.processwest.com.au/images/ar ... ler-10.jpg (Hose for other turbo setup)

LOL this guy...
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby Newbie GT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:09 am

TBE Tune Vf52

Inlets etc

Happy times friend has done this and it's a smooth fast operator !

Vf52 great upgrade 200kw at wheels plus
Newbie GT

Postby rada0469 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:24 am

Just fantastic replies, thanks you very much. Truly grateful. Given financial restrictions, I've got to do this in stages and I'm certainly not qualified (or have the time) to do any work myself. Its very helpful to have a long term plan and from your replies I have developed a good idea. Ultimately I definitely would like to go to an upgraded snail, the 52 sounds perfect for me. Do these ever come up anywhere second hand?

I don't plan to open the engine and I would be very very happy with 200kw. Don't think E85 is an option, don't think anyone sells it here in Perth, well not close to me anyway.
rada0469

Car: 07GT

Postby owen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:56 am

rada0469 wrote:Thanks Owen, very helpful. How do I find out if a particular turbo will fit the exhaust and TMIC I plan to put on in the first round of mods? The exhaust I plan to have fitted is very expensive so I'm glad for your info.

If you have decided on a VF52, you will be able to use any top mount, bov and exhaust that was designed for the VF46 as the turbos are identical.

Having said that..with a VF52, your car will just feel like a wrx. Your power down low will have almost no gains, and you'll have a 10-15kw increase at 6000-6500rpm. You get what you pay for.

Have a troll through rexnet. plenty of wrx boys get rid of their VF52s to upgrade to something bigger. From memory, other members were able to source them for about $1000 brand new.

PS. That long article UniqueRS wrote contains 0 truth. Plenty of us are making well over 230kw with an unopened engine. Longevity is all in the tune...
owen

Postby jacks-GTB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:44 pm

I would be very very happy with 200kw

I said that a few times :) have fun modding
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby blacktop™ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 pm

UniqueRS wrote:http://www.processwest.com.au/images/ar ... ler-10.jpg (Hose for other turbo setup)

LOL

This is the only good bit of info out of your whole post.

This is a good top mount inter cooler if wanting to change the turbo to anything other than a vf52.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby owen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm

jacks-GTB wrote:
I would be very very happy with 200kw

I said that a few times :) have fun modding

+1
owen

Postby rada0469 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Very true Owen, I know exactly what you mean. I think my modding will be kept at bay though because I'm going back to uni next year to do a PhD.

Folks I've read a lot but so many opinions... If not the Vf52 whats best for low down torgue? I'm not too interested in top end as much, really just want it to really get of the line hard and fast. As always thanks for your great feedback and direction.
rada0469

Postby jaydece » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

rada0469 wrote:Very true Owen, I know exactly what you mean. I think my modding will be kept at bay though because I'm going back to uni next year to do a PhD.

Folks I've read a lot but so many opinions... If not the Vf52 whats best for low down torgue? I'm not too interested in top end as much, really just want it to really get of the line hard and fast. As always thanks for your great feedback and direction.

then stick to your vf46 or get a kando tdo5 or a Blouch 380xt ....as examples
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby rada0469 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Jaydece, why do many folks upgrade to the vf52 if it just gives more top end? Does it do absolutely nothing for low down? Can you elaborate on the examples you mentioned? I'm keen to know more about them and will go and read up on them. Thanks very much as always for your replies and thoughts.
rada0469

Postby owen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:34 am

rada0469 wrote:why do many folks upgrade to the vf52

Because it's cheap and easy to fit and tune. Nothing to do with the fact that folks are sheep either.
owen

Postby jaydece » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:43 am

rada0469 wrote:Jaydece, why do many folks upgrade to the vf52 if it just gives more top end? Does it do absolutely nothing for low down? Can you elaborate on the examples you mentioned? I'm keen to know more about them and will go and read up on them. Thanks very much as always for your replies and thoughts.

Jaydece, why do many folks upgrade to the vf52 if it just gives more top end? Does it do absolutely nothing for low down?

because after a while you want more powa....and that powa comes towards the upper rpm power band....hence you upgrade to a bigger turbo...doesn't do absolutely nothing...just shifts the powa band later in the rpm....but will make the same if not more powa Vs the one you just replaced...hard to explain...maybe someone with godlike skills can do a better job than me...

VF52 - easy to bolt on, can be cheap to purchase, proven and works great for daily, yeah pretty much for more slight top end since its CFM eff range is higher in how it flows, not saying there will be some torque gains below or the same as a VF46...will probably make the same power/torque if not bit more Vs the 46 with less boost...as said above

Blouch 380XT - I upgrade to this turbo from a VF46 and didn't loose any low end, my dyno graph shows that it spooled virtually at the same 2700rpm as the VF46 but with more torque and had more top end - made 230kw atw ( but this setup was with some mods and half built dodgy engine at the time ) but cant get this turbo no more....but there is heaps of options out there that are similar...

Kando TD05 18g and/or 20g - for new $700-$800.00, cars that run this turbo, value for money...cant go wrong...ive seen them in subaru, nissans and foz...virtually the same size as a 380XT but with options to increase or decrease the front/rear size of the turbo when purchasing...7cm, 8cm 10cm rear as a example and 16g, 18g and 20g for the front as a example...

The biggest factor I have learned when combining mods to a car.....make sure you have a good tune to back it up...or there's no point...

You can put all the mods in the world......then in the end have a crap tune...you'll even find that your car goes backwards in power....cause its running that shit....

There is plenty of resources and info on this forum...backed up with great guys, tuners and people like me who have learned things along the way...

good luck :)

My 5 cents? if you want off the line performance? then stick to your VF46 for now, get a retune and maybe back it up with some small mods, E85 and LC ( launch control ) and just enjoy the car :)

keep it simple....don't go down the mod path.....very evil :twisted:

btw? do you have a auto or manual?
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific