Who runs an engine cover?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Who runs an engine cover?

Postby GTB25T » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Were do you buy a ZeroSports engine cover? They look hot!
GTB25T

Car: Lib GT-B Sedan, Lib tbSTI 08, Foz 15

Postby GTB25T » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 pm

@grahamgee
Were do you buy a ZeroSports engine cover? They look hot!
GTB25T

Car: Lib GT-B Sedan, Lib tbSTI 08, Foz 15

Postby Stifull » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 pm

With a front mount it's not really an issue as the bonnet scoop can just run cool air over the engine which is always a good thing. On my GC8 REX I have had the 2 small plates that cover the inside of the small bonnet vent off for many years and i am sure my engine loves me for it. I think it's a case of personal choice but one thing to consider for those who still have a top mount is the bonnet scoop RELIES on the cover to direct ALL the air the scoop catches and directs it through the intercooler. Air will always take the course of least resistance so without the shroud to direct it through the cooling fins which is resistant to air flow, the cooling air just takes a path out and around the intercooler. I would have prefered to show my nice big thick AVO/Perrin type top mount and pipework etc but not at the expense of the increase in power a cool intercooler gives so I chose to cut the cover to give it a airtight fit with the added leak proofing of self adhesive foam draft stopping strips so all the air has nowhere to go but through the intercooler. I gave it a bit of a brightening up with some red to match all the pipe work and cut a hole for the boost controller to fit in and I think the result is to my liking. Doing the stencil for the GT was a PITB but again, that was just to my liking. Im happy with how it turned out. I think the first pic of the cut down shroud is a good choice for a front mount pipe setup although I'm not a fan of gloss black on anything really. Satin black would have been my choice. It certainly make for a tidier and easier to keep clean engine bay especially with soo many having the dreaded power steering weeping lol.. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you choose for yours...

Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific