Changing from VF38 to TD04HLA Turbo on Auto. Worth it?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Changing from VF38 to TD04HLA Turbo on Auto. Worth it?

Postby adhar » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey guys,

Looks like i can get my hands on a TD04HLA turbo from a manual 2.0GT if i wanted, along with the standard dump-pipe to fit.

I have the auto GT with the stock vf38 turbo, and have read that the TD04HLA that comes on the manual version of the car is better for power. Would it work? Is it worth the change?

Cheers,
Andrew
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Re: Changing from VF38 to TD04HLA Turbo on Auto. Worth it?

Postby 04GTLIB » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:09 am

adhar wrote:Hey guys,

Looks like i can get my hands on a TD04HLA turbo from a manual 2.0GT if i wanted, along with the standard dump-pipe to fit.

I have the auto GT with the stock vf38 turbo, and have read that the TD04HLA that comes on the manual version of the car is better for power. Would it work? Is it worth the change?

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew.
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the TD04HLA turbo will bolt straight on, the only problem you'll have lies with the standard TD04HLA dump pipe.
There's a difference between auto and manual dump pipes and I'm sure the TD04HLA dump won't fit with an auto (Maybe send PHAT an e-mail to check).
You could try talking to an exhaust shop and have a dump fabricated to suit the TD04HLA.
As for the difference between the two turbo's, the TD04HLA is the larger of the two and would more than likely be the better option power wise. :wink:

Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby adhar » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am

04GTLIB wrote:
adhar wrote:Hey guys,

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew.
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the TD04HLA turbo will bolt straight on, the only problem you'll have lies with the standard TD04HLA dump pipe.
There's a difference between auto and manual dump pipes and I'm sure the TD04HLA dump won't fit with an auto (Maybe send PHAT an e-mail to check).
You could try talking to an exhaust shop and have a dump fabricated to suit the TD04HLA.
As for the difference between the two turbo's, the TD04HLA is the larger of the two and would more than likely be the better option power wise. :wink:

Cheers,
Rusty.

Hey Rusty,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it will fit too, if you re-read my question i can get hold of the turbo AND stock dump-pipe to make it fit.

My question is really: If these parts come my way very cheap is it worth putting the 'larger' of the 2 turbo's on? i.e. will it make much difference? Also, any adverse effects on the auto box? I'm sure Subaru put the smaller of the 2 turbos on the auto car for a reason - im just not sure why.

ps. I would also get a re-tune so no probs there.
adhar
-stickered-

Postby Spec B Wgn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:12 pm

definitely more power from the bigger turbo and possibly a bit more lag but it wouldnt be huge as these turbos are nearly identical..

bigger gains with after market dump pipe over the stock item if you can afford it..

a retune is a good idea
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby west_minist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:31 am

I wouldn't waste time. Get a VF37. Your vf38 should be twin-scroll.

All you need will be some sti injectors with the VF37. You will be good.

For the tranny, get a bigger cooler. Have fun!
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby adhar » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:56 pm

west_minist wrote:I wouldn't waste time. Get a VF37. Your vf38 should be twin-scroll.

All you need will be some sti injectors with the VF37. You will be good.

For the tranny, get a bigger cooler. Have fun!

I read somewhere you had a customer changing from the vf38 to the vf37. How did that go? Did it bolt right up?
adhar
-stickered-

Postby west_minist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:24 pm

He contacted me this week on access to the VF36 and VF37. So I am hoping he can pick them up soon. I can't wait to tune it.

At present though, we are having boost fluctuation issues. So we are looking into this issue. Seems like a wg issue or gaskets. Anything over 14psi shows the problem. We have a new mod. Avo bov. It's working nice. We are runing a very flat tq from low to mid range rpm, but need to sort this issue, which may not be a problem, because changing to the new turbo may resolve this problem. But I am curious of the power. I tune the VF36/37 TO WELL over 320+whp. Max is 350+whp. So running 300+whp, I would be happy on the high compression engine. Again, I hope he gets the stuff. Need sti inj.
Last edited by west_minist on Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Postby adhar » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Keen to hear how it goes.

I would imagine that the down pipe needs changing to fit the 2.0GT. Do you know if the up pipe and headers also need changing?
adhar
-stickered-

Postby west_minist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:08 pm

You know, I don't think anything need changing, but as soon as the project kicks off, I will post back here. I am remote tuning him. May travel to TT to see the car in the coming months.
west_minist

Postby tangcla » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Not worth doing. Negligible gains.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby apg39 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Just to clarify - changing between a VF 36/37/48 & a TD04HLA is not possible unless you change the up-pipe, turbo bracket, down pipe & various gaskets. It is NOT a straight bolt on & wouldn't be worth the upgrade at all over the auto version (unless you got all parts free & did it yourself).
Cheers,
Andrew
apg39

Return to 2.0T engine specific