Exhaust shop Melbourne

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Exhaust shop Melbourne

Postby hawkeye » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 pm

I am looking for a turbo back exhaust for my MY04 GT and was hoping someone could recommend a shop in Melbourne? Don't want it to drone and but would like it to have the boxer bubble under full throttle. Don't particularly care if it is stainless or mild steel.

Any suggestions??
Cheers....Hawkeye

Black MY04 GT Sedan
4300k HID peepers
Resonatorectomy with CAI
3" zorst with resonator & 2 x XFORCE mufflers
More to follow....
hawkeye

Postby SkoobyGT » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:55 pm

A few of the guys on here have Hi Tech exhausts as a bolt on kit. I have just the rear mufflers and I love them, nice sweet subtle sound.

http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/produc ... p?b=subaru

You will not be able to get a nice boxer rumble, as the 04's have equal length headers and the twin scroll turbo from memory. But if you do find a system that will get it, let me know :lol:

You would be able to get the exhaust sent down from sydney as Hi tech is a big company.
************FOR SALE - $20,999 - ************2004 GT Liberty
SkoobyGT

Postby hawkeye » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:09 am

Thanks SkoobyGT!

I have heard of Hi Tech and will give them a call.

Interesting comment re the MY04GT.... I wasn't aware they have equal length headers. It would be a bit of a bummer not to have the boxer rumble when a aftermarket system is fitted.

Can anyone advise why most aftermarket systems are stainless and not mild steel? Is there a significant performance advantage of stainless over mild steel?
Cheers....Hawkeye

Black MY04 GT Sedan
4300k HID peepers
Resonatorectomy with CAI
More to follow....
hawkeye

Postby SkoobyGT » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:20 am

Pffft you find me someone that can tell you the difference in power between mild and stainless, I will pay for your exhaust....just kidding.

Yeah I was disapointed to find out I couldn't get the rumble, but I was hooked on the car itself, and I don't miss the rumble of my past subys now. The GT's are a subtle street warrior, they blend in and strike for the kill all without being noticed :lol:
************FOR SALE - $20,999 - ************2004 GT Liberty
SkoobyGT

Postby Mo_GT » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:55 am

hawkeye wrote:

Interesting comment re the MY04GT.... I wasn't aware they have equal length headers.

The twin scroll turbos need equal length headers to work properly

Can anyone advise why most aftermarket systems are stainless and not mild steel? Is there a significant performance advantage of stainless over mild steel?

No performance gain what so ever. Most systems are s.steel for looks and durability.
Mo_GT

Car: GT Spec B

Postby hawkeye » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanx for the info Mo_GT.

I had a feeling stainless was for looks and durability only! I don't plan to have the car longer than about 4 yrs so durability is not a consideration.

And likewise, I won't be putting the car on it's roof to admire the stainless steel pipework either!!

I have had a discussion with a shop where they would build a system using someone else's dump pipe, but where o where do I find one that will be a proper fit !!??

The search continues....
Cheers....Hawkeye

Black MY04 GT Sedan
4300k HID peepers
Resonatorectomy with CAI
More to follow....
hawkeye

Postby Mo_GT » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:41 pm

hawkeye wrote:Thanx for the info Mo_GT.

Youre welcome :)

I have had a discussion with a shop where they would build a system using someone else's dump pipe, but where o where do I find one that will be a proper fit !!??

The search continues....

Not a fan of having a so called "custom built" exhaust system. You will never know if it flows well. I'd recommend an off the shelf system that has been tested.
Mo_GT

Car: GT Spec B

Postby bonski » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:32 pm

I am leaning more and more to getting the fujitsubo from Japan.

A bit pricey but better than a custom job.

Alternative is two hi-tech mufflers and get someone to do the rest.
bonski

Good Exhaust Shop - Melbourne!!

Postby hawkeye » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 pm

If you want a good deal on exhaust systems (MS and SS) and components, give Auto Xcess a call on (03) 9877 2873

or visit http://www.autoxcess.com.au.

Have a chat to Roy for some sound advise and no bull!!
Cheers....Hawkeye

Black MY04 GT Sedan
4300k HID peepers
Resonatorectomy with CAI
More to follow....
hawkeye

Postby lordsnipe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Will fitting a 3" exhaust to the Lib GT result in performance gains? Other turbo cars benefit alot from such upgrades, but nobody here seems to talk about the performance gain from the exhaust, it seems its mostly about the noise.

Also how sensitive is the ECU? I've read from somewhere that the ECU goes haywire and whacks a check engine light with exhaust/filter combo.
lordsnipe

Postby hawkeye » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:50 pm

I've noticed performance gains since fitting the 3" system and I am sure there will be more once it is retuned....thou finding a shop in Melb that tunes using OpenECU seems and impossible mission.

There is an increase in noise which is to be expected. A high flow resonator fitted at the same time will result in a quiter exhaust note.
Cheers....Hawkeye

Black MY04 GT Sedan
4300k HID peepers
Resonatorectomy with CAI
More to follow....
hawkeye

Return to 2.0T engine specific