Need clutch Advice and general Input

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Need clutch Advice and general Input

Postby BlessedKarma » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:02 am

Gday fellow liberty drivers.

Just to give you a bit of history on my issue.

3 months ago i lost all pressure in my clutch, i called a mechanic who came out and replaced the flexible hose on the slave cylinder as mine was split and leaking out all clutch fluid. He replaced them with braided lines and the clutch was back to normal. After the mechanic had sorted out the clutch and given the car a major service i was getting a very rough idle... the car would drop to 300RPM and then shoot up to 1200RPM and back down to 400RPM and eventually settle at 800 but constantly hunt to find idle. it began throwing lots of codes and going into limp mode until I turned it off and on again and codes would be gone (apart from idle issue) for a few days or weeks until it went into limp mode again

Took it to another mechanic who replaced the battery which seemed to have fixed the issues with all the code being thrown on my OBD reader (Throttle Actuator control range, Camshaft Position Sensor, Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, Mass volume airflow sensor) he told me it was an old/faulty battery not providing enough voltage which was causing sensors to malfunction. But I still had my really rough idle issues.

it started to get worse to the point the car would sometimes stall when I was stopped at a red light or in traffic.

I decided to pull after the TMIC and found that a hose was just dangling around near the throttle body... after looking over it it was a hose that went from cold side of turbo into the BOV and into the throttle body. Once I connected the hose back all my idle issues vanished and the car felt amazing at idle.
But as soon as I started driving the car my clutch began to slip really badly as soon as i hit boost...

I assume when the hose was not connected the ECU retarded my timing and dropped my boost to a lower pound due to the air ratio being off or something so did not feel the clutch slipping at all over the past 3 months, but as soon as i found the hose and connected it i assume the boost went back to stock which has caused my clutch slip to be evident??

I am now in the market to find a clutch and wanted to know a rough price of a clutch installation here in Melbourne and what sort of clutch would be best for my 2004 Liberty GT 5spd.
Car is basically stock but the previous owner did put a new clutch in it about 7 years ago when i bought it. I have no idea what he put in it (single mass or Dual Mass)
Does anyone know what kind of clutch my car came with and what would be the best one to put in?

Daily driver, 210,000kms

Sorry for the slab of text but i figured id provided the entire story of the issues i was having.

Thank you all in advance
BlessedKarma

Car: 2004 Liberty GT 5Spd

Re: Need clutch Advice and general Input

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:36 am

Its great you got to that boost leak, but don’t assume you got to all leaks, especially on a high km car.

The tmic is a known leak point, recrimp the end tanks when you replace the unreliable stock throttlebody hose with an upgrade silicone hose from Kobe Motorsport or AVO.

An inlet pressure test will also get to leaks in the pcv system, if the two primary block pcv pipes leak, that’s the central crankcase breather hose and the pcv stack hose adjacent the turbo, these will leak oil onto the bellhousing, contaminating your cluch. So look for oil leaks at the rear top of the engine prior, plus listen to hissing and popping in that area during an inlet pressure test.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36513

For the clutch job I’d go with exedy stock or exedy hd clutch at Northern Brake & Clutch in Yarraville.
Be sure to get your flywheel machined & cleaned, replace the engine rear main seal (oem Subaru from eg the dealership) and reseal the rear aos, it’s a great time to do your shifter bushings (CorgiWerx here or on FB), gearbox mounts and reverse and neutral switches if faulty or intermittent.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.0T engine specific