Rough Idle & Tom Kerr Subaru servicing

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Rough Idle & Tom Kerr Subaru servicing

Postby fish_boy79 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure most of the Sydney crew have known about my battle with rough idle for ages now. I've had rough idle issues with the car since 7000kms, and Tom Kerr Subaru have looked at it many times and not been able to provide me with a solution. I'm pretty sure alot of you have had similar problems with dealers.

I spent the last few days playing around with the car and found that after changing spark plugs, the rough idle had mostly disappeared. Although still not satisified with the idle, I unplugged AFM and started car and was noticable that there was no rough idle. Took off the AFM and to my surprise, half of the sensor was covered in black soot. After cleaning with a baby ass wipe, idle has basically disappeared and acceleration is alot smoother. My next question is, do subaru actually check the spark plugs during the service? and do they even bother diagnosing problems with the car if it's been modified? When tom kerr had a look at my car the first thing they said was it was a bad tune and that I should take it back to MRT. hmm its too bad the car has never or ever go to MRT. BTW gotta thanks mike for all the tips and pointing me in the right direction.

Anyone have problems with their idle?

fish
fish_boy79

Postby hks180 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm

good to hear u fix ur idle problem ....

i had a look at afm when i changed my air filter and it look ok... i change to a apexi pod filter .. when i did around 20000km ..

so far no problem with the idel ..... but will keep my eyes on it ... :)

Leo
hks180

Postby MY07GT » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 pm

Good to hear u finally found out wat it was.

I must say I have not been happy with their service.

Had my first service done last Fri. Got my bro to drop it in as i work in Blacktown now.

My bro picked it up at 5 and drove it straight home. I get home at 6:30 to inspect and found a scratch on my rear bumper.

Im friggen furious. But my bro already paid for the service and I left it at him not checking it and copping it on the chin...... Until their service dept calls me today to find out if i was happy with the service. I told them that its funny that they had the car to fix a previous scratch to find a new 1.

The door where the original scratch was was not even cleaned for them to see it properly as my whole car was dirty. I thought they would have washed it atleast to see the scratch. But no. No wash. Sum1 ran a rag across the corner of my rear bar causing a scratch. Told me her service manager will call back and never did.

End rant. Sorry Fishy.

In summary, Tom Kerr service centre sucks. They will definately get my feedback with my taking it to our own Dealership at McGraths.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby fish_boy79 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am

no problems phil. sorry to hear about your car man.

i'm in the process of writing a complaint letter to Tom kerr and Subaru about there crappy service. maybe should start a thread about where to get car serviced.
fish_boy79

Postby MY07GT » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 pm

Chris I can only give u 1 suggestion!

Tell them you'll be speaking to head office and you will also go to them to ask for a reccomended dealership to have it serviced.

They pride themselves on service man.

Head office will generally tell you to go to the dealership you bought it from.

If you want I can see my contacts at Liverpool.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby Mano™ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:16 pm

Complaints etc.. ring Subaru Aust.. trust me it works ;) they keep ringing me to get my bonnet checked.. as there is a paint defect.. 2morrow i'm going in for me 12, 500KM service (nearly 1yr old muchahaha)

So yeha ring them up bruddaz! and u'll b right.. they fight for u and make sure u get full service etc.. and everything looked @ etc.. they will also get up the dealership at the same tiem.. :D it's great.. worked for me.. even tho the dealer ship looked, but they said they didnt know! so told subaru aust and they said they will check it up for me! :)

W3rd Out
Mano 8)
Mano™
-stickered-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT

Postby Cagie » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:01 am

I have heard some really good things about Bankstown service dept.

No I don't work there, only heard about them becasue some of the officers at work have subies and get there car serviced there.

Cagie
Looking for idiots that need tickets!!
Cagie

Postby chugga15 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:14 pm

Dude,
could you take a pic of this AFM????

i have a MASSIVE issue with rough idle and subby at SVM lindfield havent been able to find a prob
chugga15

Car: my05 gt wagon. golf pirelli mkv

Postby fish_boy79 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:18 pm

ok AFM sits on top of airbox.

that little orange/brown bulb is what i cleaned with the alcohol babyass wipes. just be careful when cleaning it as it is fragile and exe!

good luck with it chugga.
fish_boy79

Postby BGZOOM » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:35 pm

I've been sufferring this lumpy idle issue as well...might have a look at this on the weekend. Pics are very helpful 8)
MY05 Liberty GT Sedan <--- Daily
1981 RX7 13BT <--- Weekend Toy

www.carnageperformance.com
www.pbase.com/try13b
BGZOOM

Postby Mano™ » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:09 am

Well done fishy :)

There is actully a spray u can get for that mate... I think it's carby cleaner that does the job.. be sure to check first tho.. just a trick I was taught.. and you can also get spray to clean the wireing if it's dirty etc...

I got phone call from Subaru.. my Lib goes in some time this week.. for 2day :cry: :cry: :cry: to get the Bonnet re-sprayed UNDER WARRENTY :lol: 8) :wink: :) :D

When I got the car.. few days later when I washed it, I found a fair decient sized marking on the bonnet, couldnt get it off or anything, so eventlly I got in and had the time to get it checked, so they were noteified stright away.. Only few weeks ago when I went for my 12,500 (in a yr haha) I got them to check it..

The decision has been made, and Subaru are getting it re-sprayed.. will take x2 days... hopefully they will give me something I can give a thrashing :D

It's going to cost approx $800+ for them to get it done
Mano™
-stickered-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT

Postby fish_boy79 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 am

hey mano,

yeah i was told that you can use sprays to clean it, but i didn't have the time to get some. only had the alcohol wipes at the time so thought that would be better than a normal wet cloth.

hope your bonnet comes out better than new man. is that bar on yet?

fish
fish_boy79

Postby kneedragger » Wed May 23, 2007 10:53 pm

Wondering if anyone is still experiencing any rough idle issues on their GT? Every time I get it serviced I mention it but it never gets fixed. Supposedly Subaru released a service bulletin that was supposed to fix it but all that entailed was putting a bottle of injector cleaner through the system. Didn't fix it.

I have sent many emails to Subaru Australia, they requested me to go to a service centre, which I did, they couldn't fix it and told me they would inform Subaru Australia. A few more emails, then they just said that no service centre had logged any technical data so they could not do any more and goodbye. Real quality operation that cannot or will not fix their product.

Getting fed up going back to them hearing the same bullsh1t excuse about bad fuel. Has anyone managed to find a solution to this problem? Is there a mod I can do that cures it?

Rob
kneedragger

Postby adam » Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 am

my gt idles a bit lumpy so i'll get the service centre to check it out next visit. as far as tom kerr goes when my missus was waiting for me to drop of the 2.0l once she watched a mechanic reverse a subie into the windows of another business in the little centre where they are so i don't think i'll be going back.
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby fish_boy79 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:15 am

gees this an old thread which i guess i never gave an update on.

The bottle of injector cleaner only masks the problem for a short period of time. I went through many bottles of that crap and didn't go well at all. Even got tom kerr to do a in-car injector clean service (approx $120) but problem was still there. They initially blamed the problem on crappy fuel or the mods but that was the biggest load of bs.

Complaint letter was sent throught o Subaru Head Office and said that their $55k car idles worse than a 15 year old honda. They called up straight away and told me they are aware of the idle problems and its due to faulty injectors. They ordered me a new set of injectors and what do you know... problem solved. Rough idle has gone and car is running alot smoother than before.

They did tell me that subaru are aware of the rough idle issues and only way to fix it is getting new injectors or possibly getting professionally cleaned (not in-car injector cleaning).

good luck with it guys and keep us posted.
fish_boy79

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific