Rough Idle & Tom Kerr Subaru servicing

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Postby kneedragger » Thu May 24, 2007 9:37 am

Fish Boy

I don't suppose you have a copy of that letter that made Subaru get off their ass to do something? Also was there any particular person you dealt with?

Cheers,
Rob
kneedragger

Postby SUM12C » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:46 pm

How are the rough idle’s going? mine developed one just before I got a service where it sounded like it was almost going to stall then it would rev when stationary. The service place said they couldn’t replicate the fault before the service….after the service it has gone but I’m keeping an eye on it. (the service was the 100,00km and they also carried out a injector service)
| MY04 GT 5AT RED | STI Lateral Link Set, Strut Brace & Springs | Whiteline Adj Sway Bars | Cusco end Links & Brackets | Hi Tech Quads | HKS dump | Apexi Pod Filter | Air guide | Now rolling on 18" |
SUM12C

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Postby ChrisGT » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:30 pm

I had a 37500k service done on my MY05GT today. I've had some minor rough idling problems over the last 5 months so I asked the dealer to check MAF sensor or maybe give the injectors a clean. To my surprise they called to tell me that they were replacing all the injectors under warranty due to some issue that Subaru had identified with the injectors-all good!
What I have noticed is that the rough idle has now gone completely, even with the A/C on, engine bog down when engaging the clutch has improved greatly and an engine hesitation I used to get in 3rd gear on a specific hill has also gone. I'm not sure how you go about getting this upgrade, whether it's a lottery or dealer specific or how well the mechanics are up to speed on their product bulletins or what, but I'm pleased I didn't have to foot the $800 bill for the injectors.
The dealer also replaced the trip computer under warranty after it stopped working.Dealer was SVM Lindfield.
MY05 OBP LGT-Premium
ChrisGT

Postby kneedragger » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:43 pm

ChrisGT wrote:I had a 37500k service done on my MY05GT today. I've had some minor rough idling problems over the last 5 months so I asked the dealer to check MAF sensor or maybe give the injectors a clean. To my surprise they called to tell me that they were replacing all the injectors under warranty due to some issue that Subaru had identified with the injectors-all good!
What I have noticed is that the rough idle has now gone completely, even with the A/C on, engine bog down when engaging the clutch has improved greatly and an engine hesitation I used to get in 3rd gear on a specific hill has also gone. I'm not sure how you go about getting this upgrade, whether it's a lottery or dealer specific or how well the mechanics are up to speed on their product bulletins or what, but I'm pleased I didn't have to foot the $800 bill for the injectors.
The dealer also replaced the trip computer under warranty after it stopped working.Dealer was SVM Lindfield.

Subaru have had my car for the past two days chasing this problem. Last time they pulled the injectors out and had them cleaned and it fixed the idle for about 500klms. This time they changed the AFM and the spark plugs and told me to change my brand of fuel. Have to monitor it for a tank or two on different fuel and if it's stil there bring it back to them.

ChrisGT, what fuel have you been using? I've been 99% using Vortex 98.
kneedragger

Postby ChrisGT » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:13 pm

Kneedragger,
pretty much use V power 98 90% of the time Vortex 98 10% of the time-largely determined by which Shopper Dockets I have :D

My idle issue was pretty minor-the car never stalled and was worse on hot days. I originally put it down to the STi ECU but I thought I'd enquire anyway. Good luck with it!
MY05 OBP LGT-Premium
ChrisGT

Postby slowjo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm

fish_boy79 wrote:ok AFM sits on top of airbox.

that little orange/brown bulb is what i cleaned with the alcohol babyass wipes. just be careful when cleaning it as it is fragile and exe!

good luck with it chugga.

Use an elctronics contact spray cleaner, it's non-greasy and will just evaporate.... this is a hot-wire system... break that wire... and it'll cost... worse is on a weekend... happened to me on my Saab... many years back... bad experience... still remember it.
slowjo

Postby MY05WAGON » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi all

Just wondering if the 2.0GT owners could give some feedback on their vehicles idle. I'm still having some idle issues with my vehicle and am going to take it to the dealer and replicate it for service manager before i book it in. i dont want to drop her off then come back at the end of the day to be told "could not find/replicate fault".
I've noticed when i first start the vehicle in the morning or afternoon i get slight vibrations here and there with the idle (not too bad), after giving her a slight rev the revs settle back down, but if i rev her up to say a constant 1500RPM it runs worse then my lawn mower and she is 20 years old, constant bup bup bup bup and the car shakes around a fair bit. But if i give her a bit more revs (over 2k) she runs great, no shakes and sounds smooth. Its pretty much the same when the car is hot but not as bad. I can replicate this all the time, suppose thats a good thing to prove a point to the dealer, seems there are problems on the GenIV's which are far too common, shouldnt bloody happen on a 55k car.
Can any of you guys try and replicate this and let us know what yours does. Car is bone stock and just had the front 02 sensor replaced.
A few of you guys have had the injectors replaced, is your idle still good or has it come back with a vengence?

Sorry should rephrase this as rough idle and roughness at lower rev range (no load)
Cheers
Mik
MY05WAGON

Postby WhiteGTB » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 am

Hey Mik, I got the same car and I had that problem... I am not exactly sure what THEY (Subaru) did, but I cleaned the AFM myself and it worked a treat.

When it happens in the morning it is probably best to leave the car with them over night so then can perform a cold start and investigate from there. Thats what they initially suggested with mine.

The Service Tech Lead there said that it may be the computer as it learns that the revs are droppig too low when idling and it will auto adjust the idle... so he reset my computer on the car, this may be solution???
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby SUM12C » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:06 pm

I’ve still got the rough idle situation, I’ve had the major 100000km carried including a injector service where they cleaned a lot of build up out.
Still had the rough idle after that so they reset the computer and said see how it goes.
Still had the rough idle so last week I had a look at the AFM and it looked black/dirty on one side of the little bulb so I took it to Subaru and they said the bulb is actually coated black (like new) on one side? And they reset the computer again.
Still got the rough idle so I’m thinking about leaving it there overnight, but don’t really want to as I will be without a car.
| MY04 GT 5AT RED | STI Lateral Link Set, Strut Brace & Springs | Whiteline Adj Sway Bars | Cusco end Links & Brackets | Hi Tech Quads | HKS dump | Apexi Pod Filter | Air guide | Now rolling on 18" |
SUM12C

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Postby Ric » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:19 pm

That's damn annoying.
I assume they've already checked for air leaks after the AFM, and for faulty injectors.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby WhiteGTB » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Not sure if this will help but the next service I did after my 100,000km I asked them to investigate it again and they said they found the issue, it was a leak in the intercooler pipe... they fixed it.

Sorry I just remembered that piece of info now.
WhiteGTB

Postby kneedragger » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Upgraded fuel injectors part no 16600AA220 for cure of rough idle in Liberty GT

Fixed my idle at last!!! Only took 75000klms :D
kneedragger

Postby ChrisGT » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Good to see some of you guys getting this sorted. I've clocked about 4000ks since my injectors were replaced and I haven't had the rough idle return.
MY05 OBP LGT-Premium
ChrisGT

Postby fish_boy79 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:01 pm

good news fellas. about time subaru realised that so many of us have the same problem and did something about it. i haven't had any further issues with rough idle since they replaced mine, so i'm happy to say that it is a permanent fix.
fish_boy79

Postby WhiteGTB » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:25 pm

kneedragger wrote:Upgraded fuel injectors part no 16600AA220 for cure of rough idle in Liberty GT

Fixed my idle at last!!! Only took 75000klms :D

Thanks for the input Kneedragger, do u know how much this fix cost?
WhiteGTB

PreviousNext

Return to 2.0T engine specific