Fuel gauge reading is out by one marker

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Fuel gauge reading is out by one marker

Postby YameZz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 pm

So I've got an issue with my MY05 fuel gauge - a few times over the last few months I've run out of fuel when the indicator hits the last marker ABOVE empty... it's a PITA particularly when my gf is driving it as she never fills up unless the light comes on. I've taken to keeping a 10L jerry can in the boot because I've had to go rescue her a couple of times. It's definitely reading wrong - when it's at the halfway mark and I've filled it, I've been able to get 40L into it. Any ideas?
YameZz

Car: MY05 GT Premium

Re: Fuel gauge reading is out by one marker

Postby Lane » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:24 am

I know of several makes of vehicles where the dealership could re-calibrate the gauge for a small fee, I've no experience with Subaru, a quick phone call to your nearest one and you'll find out soon enough.

Eg Holden was $50 a few years ago.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby YameZz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 am

So I have an update to this and should expand on my original post. After the first couple of times it happened, I took it in to French's at the Gabba and they replaced the fuel sender with the caveat that it may not fix the issue as there are a number of possible causes. The problem did occur again, so I just put it down to 'one of the other possible causes' and thought I'd get it looked again on the next service.

Over the past month I've done 4 or 5 Brisbane-Gold Coast trips for work, then this weekend I drove to Bundy and back. I noticed that each time I topped up the tank over the weekend when it got to the half full mark (a habit I've gotten into since this started happening) I was only getting 30L into it compared to 40L as I was previously... maybe it's re-calibrated itself somehow??
YameZz

Car: MY05 GT Premium

Postby Boxer25 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm told there are actually two pick up sensors in the fuel system, with the Gen4 anyway.
Pot luck whether you replace the right one first or not.
We have between 12 litres and absolutely zero 0 litres in the tank when the trip computer still says 100km.
Common issue with a few subaru models...
Boxer25

Car: 2005 GT & 1997 RX Liberty Wagons

Return to 2.0T engine specific