Air Conditioning intermittent fault

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Air Conditioning intermittent fault

Postby kris_brennan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Hey guys,

I've recently run into a bit of an issue with my MY04 Liberty GT.. The Air Conditioning has an intermittent fault.
It's a little difficult to explain but basically, about 2 months ago I noticed that when the A/C comes on you can hear an audible "click" and then a dull
buzzing (almost like when you can hear electricity buzzing). It still worked as normal but over the last week the A/C will actually slowly start dropping
off on fan power and then basically stop, I say basically because if you have your hand right in front of the vent you can still feel cold air but it dissipates
in the atmosphere almost immediately.
This will last for about 2-5 minutes and then it will come back on but not as cold as it was previously. Then sometimes in the afternoon after I finish work
I will start the car and allow it to warm up, this generally takes 5 minutes, and in this time (sometimes) the A/C is not working at all and takes about 10-15
minutes to actually start again.
This is a little long winded and also a bit confusing I know, but I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue before and what the fix was?
kris_brennan

Car: 2003 Liberty GT (Modified)

Re: Air Conditioning intermittent fault

Postby unabletoconnect » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 am

might be low refrigerant.
unabletoconnect

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:54 pm

unabletoconnect wrote:might be low refrigerant.

Yeah I'd get refrigerant level checked as well. The sound you describe are what mine sounds like as well, so it may just need a refill.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby unabletoconnect » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 pm

also, try not to use it until its sorted.

The refrigerant is used as a carrier for the oil that lubes the pump
unabletoconnect

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby kris_brennan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks for the info guys, had it checked out and the guy said the refrigerant level was fine but there is a fan you can access just up above the
glove compartment that cut's in and out, he reckons I can source a cheap one through eBay and he can install it if I can't but he reckons it's
very straight forward.
kris_brennan

Car: 2003 Liberty GT (Modified)

Return to 2.0T engine specific