Kinaugawa TD04HLA-19T Failed install...

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Kinaugawa TD04HLA-19T Failed install...

Postby T_double_U » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Alright I just received my car back after almost 2 weeks with my workshop and it's a pretty sad state of affairs.. The turbo i ordered directly from Kinugawa (TD04HLA-19T, But i actually received a TD04HL-19T, that should have been my first clue something was amiss) That was supposed to bolt onto my 04 GT, replacing the twin scroll VF38 . Basically all four fluid lines had to be custom made to suit then when it came to installing the AVO intercooler it wouldn't fit and not even the stock cooler would fit. So my only option was keep the turbo on and have a custom front mount installed but that was an expense i wasn't prepared to undertake. So i cut my losses and went back to stock with a $1600 parts and labour charge.

Kando were initially being supportive but since that first reply they have been very sporadic and denying all responsibility. They are demanding a 20% handling fee plus i pay return postage however i'm arguing this fee at the moment as they sent the wrong turbo.
T_double_U

Car: JDM Legacy GT

Re: Kinaugawa TD04HLA-19T Failed install...

Postby jslayz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:09 am

wwhaaaat a pain in the a$$ !!!
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby dr20t » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 am

So you tried installing the wrong turbo (knowing it was the wrong one before you started) and when it didnt work its kinugawa's fault?

Don't get me wrong - if you ordered a HLA and received a HL version, that's their stuff up and easy return and exchange. But (and i could be wrong here), sounds like you tried perservering with installing the HL knowing it was the wrong one.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby T_double_U » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:17 pm

dr20t wrote:So you tried installing the wrong turbo (knowing it was the wrong one before you started) and when it didnt work its kinugawa's fault?

Don't get me wrong - if you ordered a HLA and received a HL version, that's their stuff up and easy return and exchange. But (and i could be wrong here), sounds like you tried perservering with installing the HL knowing it was the wrong one.

As far as I was aware from my research the differences between the HL and HLA should not have effected fitment as both models are supposed to bolt on. Therefore I didn't believe it was worth sending back as I was on a tight deadline.
T_double_U

Car: JDM Legacy GT

Postby Whacky_ricer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi guys, I posted a similar question on another thread but seems relevant hete too. What is the difference between the kinugawa turbos codes HLA vs HL? Currently trying to source the HLA-20T but its disappeared from Kinugawa and Kando's websites. Can only find the HL variant now. Don't want to run into similar problems if its not the right turbo.
Whacky_ricer

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty GT (Sedan, 5MT)

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:44 pm

.. this one?
http://kandodynamic.com/products/kinuga ... win-scroll

or:
http://kandodynamic.com/products/kinuga ... win-scroll
this one?

I am not sure there's any difference between HL and HLA - also it comes with the necessary lines.

I don't understand possibly how "all four" would have to be custom made.

The other thing is - This is an aftermarket turbo, This kind of difference is pretty typical, and isn't a big deal. Changing to a braided oil line is a good maintenance decision in any case. (my hardline cracked) I don't understand how the intercooler couldn't fit - and this should be something that would have been obvious pre-install.

Without seeing pictures, I can't be sure. It also sounds like the workshop you're using are a bit lost - recommending a front mount seems a bit drastic for a turbo they couldn't make work, and if it's that bad, they should have identified it straight off. It's immediately obvious if the turbo is clocked differently or has a different flange. And even if is - those problems are solveable as well if you know what parts to get (AVO make a pipe that you can use, and I have a brand new one sitting in my parts bin)

This is why people go to subaru specific workshops - because these kind of issues are a day to day thing, and they could have told you if the turbo would work or what parts you would need without needing to touch a single bolt on the damn car.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby spool. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:18 pm

unfortunately the AVO intercooler has the flange built into the end tank like the gen5 plastic end tanks so there is no "wiggle room" if it is not exactly right, Did you take photo's? are you sure the compressor housing didn't just require clocking?

The turbo CHRA should be almost identical but the TD04HL was also used on some volvo's, its possible there may have been some differences.
spool.

Car: 2005 Liberty GT

Postby dr20t » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:12 pm

The HLA is specific to the twin scroll liberty / jdm legacy.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Return to 2.0T engine specific