Gen 2 EJ22NA to EJ20TT conversion

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Gen 2 EJ22NA to EJ20TT conversion

Postby zacsuby » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I have a Gen 2 1996 Liberty GX with an NA Ej22 engine and am considering a swap for the twin turbo EJ20. I believe there were gen 2 sedans and wagons released with the twin turbo ej20 so it shouldn't be too difficult to swap right? I was wondering if anyone has or knows of someone who has made the conversion and what the things to watch out for would be.

I'm also wondering how difficult/if it is possible to use a manual gearbox from an ej20 wrx with the ej20TT engine and whether it is a bolt on to gen 2 liberty's or too hard to be worth it?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Zac
zacsuby

Car: Liberty

Re: Gen 2 EJ22NA to EJ20TT conversion

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:36 pm

The gearbox is 100% bolt in.
The engine I'm not sure, but I know they were available. AM Auto can do custom looms for you.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:21 am

Hey Zac, if you're going to go to the expense of changing from NA to turbo just go for a GD STi half cut. It'll be a lot easier and cost you less in the long runs as getting the twin turbo set up running right will cost time and $$$. A decent half cut should come with eng, loom, 6 speed tranny and R180 diff. Not sure about the current prices in Aus but if your going to do it do it properly and save yourself some headaches.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby zacsuby » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Hey guys,

Cheers for the replies. Adrian, I like the sound of your idea. Ideally would look for a twin turbo liberty halfcut with all those parts as it would basically be a reshell in that case. Talking about the gd wrx sti halfcut though, do you know if there's much work involved in making the wrx engine and gearbox fit into a gen 2 liberty?

Also any ideas of good suppliers of halfcuts either out of Japan or locally? I'm from SA.

Cheers
zacsuby

Car: Liberty

Postby Adrian2627 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 pm

A twin turbo half cut can be had pretty cheap but there are a number of issues with the basic set up that were exaggerated with the retune for lower octane fuel used in AUS.

Colloquially known as VOD or Valley Of Death is a "hole" in the power/torque curve between the primary turbo running out of puff and the secondary spooling up. It was more-or-less tuned out here in Japan where high octane fuel is 100 but when detained for the 98 in Australia the VOD became more evident.

If you want to go the cheaper route find a locally available GD WRX cut or even a wreck and go from there. If you have a better budget then a JDM STI half cut is the way to go. Most of it will bolt up with only a few mods to wiring and piping, and custom exhaust fab no matter if you go with WRX or STI cuts.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Return to 2.0T engine specific