Post tune issues

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Post tune issues

Postby simins » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:43 pm

hi guys,

so i just got my car back after being at the tuners for 4 weeks(which felt like a lifetime) and a few problems arose which i wanted to ask any of you if you've experienced these issues.
firstly these are the mods that i have installed:

-kinugawa td04hla 19T
-AVO CAI
-AVO DUMP
-Kobe inlet
-HDI Front mount
-Grimmspeed 3-port
-265 fuel pump
-oil catch can(dout this has any effect on the power)

now my problems started when i first put the front mount on or at least thats when i first noticed it.. when im driving and i get to around 6krpm i get from what i can tell boost cut and it doesnt come back till i take my foot of the pedal then put it back on.. firstly i thought this might be caused by the front mount making the car run ether lean or rich but now that i have my car back it happened again and im not sure.

secondly i just got a text letting me know that the dyno that my car was on reads REALLY low so that might explain why the sheet said 135KW(i know) but now that im driving it again the car feels like its even slower than what it was before. ive been told that my trans is in need of a service so that might be causing the issue but it might also be on its way out to the bin so you never know(service happening in under a week).

thirdly and this is the biggest issue imo but since i got the 19T put on my boost went from 14.5 to hitting a peak of 15 then going down to 12 at high rpm... now the turbo has only just been put on and is brand new but i feel that it should be capable of alot more than that with a custom tune. im no expert when it comes to turbos and as such do they require like a work in period like clutches or is it a slap on and go type thing.

my big conserns right now are why the boose isnt holding even with the 3-port and why i get boost cut.. the rest will need to wait till after the trans service
simins

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Re: Post tune issues

Postby dr20t » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Which shonk of a tuner tuned this fkn thing and let you drive out of there like that

That is atrocious

Answers in no partcularorder:

No, boost cut is not normal -ever
Front mount won't cause this unless not tuned for
No a turbo doesn't require a break-in period to achieve its potential
135kw atw is pretty accurate for 14.5psi
19t turbo should be able to achieve 20psi and hold to redline on a 2.0 litre
Transmission has no bearing on AFR (re: comment on rich / lean due to trans needing a service [thats gotta be one of the best I've ever heard lol ! ])

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby simins » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:40 pm

dr20t wrote:Which shonk of a tuner tuned this fkn thing and let you drive out of there like that

That is atrocious

Answers in no partcularorder:

No, boost cut is not normal -ever
Front mount won't cause this unless not tuned for
No a turbo doesn't require a break-in period to achieve its potential
135kw atw is pretty accurate for 14.5psi
19t turbo should be able to achieve 20psi and hold to redline on a 2.0 litre
Transmission has no bearing on AFR (re: comment on rich / lean due to trans needing a service [thats gotta be one of the best I've ever heard lol ! ])

Mick

thanks for the responds mick

i may have worded some of my questions wrong.. its not that the trans is causing lean but the fact that it is i would say weak or slipping atm and its not putting the power to the ground if that makes anymore sense
but i do feel the same as the rest of your response.. when i asked what the max boost my car could take after the tune i almost laughed when he said it struggled to hold 15 but was good at 12 around high rpms...

still if anyone has any ideas as to why i would be experiencing boost cut at 6k plus then im always open to surgestions

simo
simins

Postby dr20t » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I can tell you unequivocally that this tuner has zero idea what he is doing

I wouldn't trust them with tuning a lawnmower

Boost cut is caused by a multitude of mechanical, electronic and tune parameter related things including:

Boost controller incorrectly setup
Turbo dynamics or wastegate tables incorrect
Boost cut resume set too low / incorrect
Fuel lean or rich limit reached in open loop (although highly unlikely at 6000rpm)
A loose vacuum / boost hose somewhere
Faulty Wastegate operation

Plus many more

Take it to someone that knows what they're doing.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby jslayz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Search up coyote. Hes up your way.

Or Matt from Kido next visit.
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby simins » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:27 pm

thanks for the responses guys ill be looking into this very soon and hopefully it will get fixed
simins

Postby jslayz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:16 am

jslayz wrote:Search up coyote. Hes up your way.

Or Matt from Kido next visit.

Heres my disclaimer, matt has tuned mine, so I am probably biased!
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby WIDELOAD » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:37 am

+1 for Coyote or Matt.

Coyote is local (well Brisbane).
Matt travels around tuning.
If you can't wait, and want to get it sorted ASAP (which, personally I would) contact Coyote. If you don't mind waiting till Matt is in QLD next contact him.

Personally I'd be very cautious about driving the car in it's current state. Sounds like the current tuner has zero idea as Mick said.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby simins » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm

well thought i would let people know as to whats happened so far.. i had the gearbox serviced and 2 thinks came up the first which was good news was that the gearbox was in good condition which i think proved my theory about part 2 and that was one of the coolant hoses in the engine bay had a kink or was being squeezed and i think this was the main problem being that the gearbox was getting heat soaked...

ive been in contact with matt and tony and im going to have 1 of them look at it to figure out why the boost wouldn't go past 15psi...

also i haven't had a boost cut again since the first time so once again not sure what caused it but still looking into it...
simins

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:01 am

If that's a pic in your profile of your engine bay, consider boxing the pod filter with a cold air tube, like it is there, it's getting hot air directly off the headers, located below. Not great for sitting in traffic or QLD summers :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby simins » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:50 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:If that's a pic in your profile of your engine bay, consider boxing the pod filter with a cold air tube, like it is there, it's getting hot air directly off the headers, located below. Not great for sitting in traffic or QLD summers :)

hey ben yeah i have moved it since taking that picture but i am still planning on having something like that installed soon
simins

Postby west_minist » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 pm

If you are unable to have either tuned you and you have a cable, msg me, even to review what the issues are.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby simins » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:51 pm

west_minist wrote:If you are unable to have either tuned you and you have a cable, msg me, even to review what the issues are.

hey man thanks for the offer and sorry i didnt see this until now its just been a hectic month with uni and sorting out car parts.

so i took the car down to Brisbane and matt had a sort of half tune for it as the left cam solenoid was feeling left out so it decided to shred the little bastard filter inside and wedge a piece in itself as a form of protest.
needless to say that was fun only running on 2 cylinders anyway got that fixed and now im waiting to hear from matt when in December hes next available to do the final tune up.

now i just need to get my new wideband sensor as the old one came broken on arrival and am going to invest in an air box for the CAI as matt has informed me that im currently sucking air at a lovely low temp of 54'c which was on a very hot day but none the less is not acceptable for me so that needs fixing..

thanks for everyone's help so far
simins

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Gory details, pics? Did you take the oft repeated advice here and get the faulty cam or ocv replaced with one from eg partsouq, Japanparts, Ebay or Amazon?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby simins » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:20 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Gory details, pics? Did you take the oft repeated advice here and get the faulty cam or ocv replaced with one from eg partsouq, Japanparts, Ebay or Amazon?

haha no i did not.. i took it to a place that matt recommended and they removed both the 8mm piece that was stuck and the filter on the rhs.. which seems to be running fine now so i dont think ill need to get a new one atm
simins

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific