Has anyone put a VF34 in stock VF38 turbo?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Has anyone put a VF34 in stock VF38 turbo?

Postby Libgtwagon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi all

i posted a few weeks ago where i have had a noisy turbo on the GT.
I have had 4 new cartriges put into this damn thing and every single time it is installed, immediately after the engine is cranked, you hear the bearing noise from the turbo.

3 x times it has been re-done by one turbo place and the last time i took it to GCG turbo in Sydney.

I have changed the oil, oil line, done a compression test on wet and dry type and have had the oil examined (as the people are blaming my oil is contaminated) and the only people that guarantee me that its not the car is Subaru, my mechanic and also Pulse racing.

Its doing my head in and I ask if anyone knows who has had their turbo upgraded to a VF34, please let me know. Have you had similar problems?

I think there is a bad batch of these. Will it get worse?

Its definately bearing sound. On the positive note: Thanks Paul from Pulse for getting AMAZING gains from your tune. 190KW ATW.

Any info in assisting me would be really appreciate guys / gals.

Cheers. :? [/b]
Libgtwagon

Postby Arith » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Hasn't Paul come across this sort of problem before during his tuning experiences? What did he have to say about it? I mean the best people to diagnose the problem would be the ones who are there in person to experience it first hand. Have you considered another brand of turbo?

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Libgtwagon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Arith

Paul has not come across one before. Neither has the turbo places i have been to. 1st one was MTQ Turbo and the other was GCG. As i mentioned, anyone that has a listen to it will say they cannot tell unless they take out the turbo and open it up. 4 times it has been opened and every time it has been the bearings. I think they have a bad batch.

Because i have installed a HKS full system, I didnt want to change the dump pipe. I didnt want to pour more money into an exhaust that I already have.

Hope someone can come forward and advise me if they have installed a VF34 into their stock VF38.

Thanks for your help Arith. A mystery that the turbo people say the Turbo is perfect when it leaves their premises. The second you crank that motor,you hear the bearings.
Libgtwagon

Return to 2.0T engine specific