GT turbo upgrade?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

GT turbo upgrade?

Postby Tyson.burke » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey guys I'm thinking about upgrading my turbo in 04 GT Liberty (auto) nothing to crazy. Just would like to know my options and what else would need to be upgraded to keep the car happy looking to spend no more than $5000 if possible

Thanks Tyson
Tyson.burke

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty gt

Re: GT turbo upgrade?

Postby Adrian2627 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:23 am

Your auto runs a twin scroll VF38 as the stock turbo which means straight swap options are limited to the TD04HLA from the manual which from memory is a 16g ex housing or the Kinugawa versions which give you 18 or 20g as options depending on how far you want to go. With a little more work you can also go the STI route and use a VF36/37 which requires the STI headers and up-pipe, a custom dump pipe and a few other little tweaks to get location of various lines right.
If you want to go all out then convert it to single scroll and you have a range of Garett, Blouch, etc turbos to choose from.

Given your 5k budget and the auto I'd go with the Kinugawa 18g, a good exhaust, a good tune/boost controller, and an aftermarket blow-off valve and you'd be smiling anytime you hit the loud pedal.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Re: GT turbo upgrade?

Postby steambao » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Tyson.burke wrote:Hey guys I'm thinking about upgrading my turbo in 04 GT Liberty (auto) nothing to crazy. Just would like to know my options and what else would need to be upgraded to keep the car happy looking to spend no more than $5000 if possible

Thanks Tyson

If your in Melb, have a upgraded TMIC and dump pipe to suite in the fs thread :)
steambao

Car: 2004 Liberty GT Auto BL5

Return to 2.0T engine specific