04 JDM EJ20 - Big end bearing failure :(

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

04 JDM EJ20 - Big end bearing failure :(

Postby lokifer » Thu May 26, 2016 3:43 pm

This morning my engine started knocking, so I had it towed to my mechanic and he's said a big end bearing has gone and it's fucked. He's recommended putting another engine in so that's what we're doing.

I've had this car for under a year so it's a pretty disappointing expense. I don't drive it hard when it's cold and I've been good with keeping oil topped up and getting it serviced, but obviously I have no idea what its previous life was like. It also hadn't been tuned.. that was next on my list of things to do, but it seems to be fucking expensive here in Auckland.

My question is - what can be done to ensure a decent lifespan of the "new" engine? I'll have about a grand (NZ) left after the engine swap to do some preventative stuff. Is a tune the most important step other than very regular maintenance? It's got a 5EAT and the only engine related mods done is a dump pipe.

The one that blew up had done 139,000 kms for anyone interested.
lokifer

Re: 04 JDM EJ20 - Big end bearing failure :(

Postby andy_mac » Thu May 26, 2016 6:50 pm

What year was it? Any idea on the turbo's condition? Have you dropped the sump to see what bits of metal may have made its way down there?
Tune is definately worthwhile if you've already got a downpipe
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Re: 04 JDM EJ20 - Big end bearing failure :(

Postby lokifer » Fri May 27, 2016 8:51 am

It was a 2004.

Not sure on the turbo condition. Could that have been a factor in the failure? Mechanic is pulling stuff off the blown engine today to see what is all good to transfer over, so I'll see if he can drop the sump and have a look after it's drained.

Is it worth keeping the block as a rebuild project? My mechanic suggests it's worthless and would be going straight to the wreckers, but I have a friend with garage space who is a diesel mechanic and a GC who is happy to house it and we can slowly work on it.
lokifer

Return to 2.0T engine specific