Wanting to run catless.

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Wanting to run catless.

Postby VanillaIce220 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:09 pm

G'day everyone.

I want to run catless in my car, however I want to know if there are any risks I should be aware of apart from the fact that it is illegal. I already have a turbo back system. The reason why I am bring this up is because I do not want to throw a code or anything and am not 100% sure if it will so I will give some back ground.

Regarding my exhaust system, the dump pipe comes out form the turbo, down then on the straight is the cat then after that is some more pipe which is then connected to the fugitsubo system. When the bloke was doing my exhaust we forgot about the sensor and decided what the heck, just put it there instead of a sensor relocation and see if we throw a code. it did not. The sensor is where it normally sits which is ages away from the cat on my system. There was no code thrown which is why I am asking about a going with a straight pipe system. simple because the cat is after the sensor, so if i make it straight pipe it still should not throw a code right?
Meme god.
VanillaIce220

Car: Subaru Liberty 04 GT

Re: Wanting to run catless.

Postby VanillaIce220 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:15 pm

I will probably just jump into it and see what happens, usually when I do that for my car it ends up fine and dandy but I wouldn't minds someone to place their 2 cents in :D
Meme god.
VanillaIce220

Postby andy_mac » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Can't comment on whether the Aussie cars will throw a code for not having a cat but I had no problems with my gutted one.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby dr20t » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Why are you removing the cat? For what purpose

If on stock or even mild turbo - bad idea.

Unless you have a backpressure restriction (unlikely) then its a very bad idea.

How bad you ask? Bad enough to overspin your tiny turbo and result in failure. For what is a very minor performance gain.

If running on 98, you WILL stick out like dog's balls to anyone with half a clue, as the smell will be rancid. Not to mention the environmental damage you will be doing.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby chubbs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 am

Im running catless. I have a a TD06sl 25g. I have no issues. Im running e85 though. It crackles alot and spits flames when i open it up. Just be mindful that it does stink alot and dont blow flames with outher around otherwise your asking for trouble.
E85 Addict!
chubbs
formerly Illestlib

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22507

Postby RX25SE » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:44 pm

dr20t wrote:Why are you removing the cat? For what purpose

I was wondering the same thing.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby VanillaIce220 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm

dr20t wrote:Why are you removing the cat? For what purpose

If on stock or even mild turbo - bad idea.

Unless you have a backpressure restriction (unlikely) then its a very bad idea.

How bad you ask? Bad enough to overspin your tiny turbo and result in failure. For what is a very minor performance gain.

If running on 98, you WILL stick out like dog's balls to anyone with half a clue, as the smell will be rancid. Not to mention the environmental damage you will be doing.

Why you may ask... why not. Hence why I am asking if there will be any issues that may arise if I do a cat delete. I suppose that is what forums are for maybe? Asking people who actually know their stuff. Gaining some background knowledge before doing something that may potentially affect the motor in a negative way, whilst providing information to others in the future.

I have the bolt on replacement TD04HLA19T. Matt as returned it etc etc. I want to run e85, however due to the location where I live I can only run 98. I know how bad it can stink, I have mates who run catless and told me to do so which is why I decided to make a post.
Meme god.
VanillaIce220

Return to 2.0T engine specific