Leaking rear diff

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Leaking rear diff

Postby andy_mac » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:48 am

So my rear diff seems to be leaking again slightly, most of the back cover is oily right up to mounting bolts so fairly sure I can rule out it being the fill/drain holes.
Couldn't find it again but remember reading in someones build log they had an issue with oil coming out the breather port in the top, anyone else had this issue or know of a solution for it? Not sure what would go wrong with a breather port that would cause it to start ejecting oil out of it unless it was overfilled which isn't all that easy to get wrong.
It's a r180 viscous diff I believe.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Re: Leaking rear diff

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:08 am

It was Dr20t, Jaydece or Owen iirc, overflowing due to massive power/driving fun: plugged a hose into the breather and zip tied it to one of the lateral arms so the oil wouldn't mess up the diff or burn on the zorst.

The r180 is bigger than the r160, feel up on the top of it, there will be a big "K" raised letter on top, if R180.
If r180 then Torsen centre is likely.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Leaking rear diff

Postby andy_mac » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 am

Mine certainly does not have massive power haha. So are you saying a hose attached to the breather and then routed down by the lateral arm so any oil released just drips wherever it wants and misses the car?

You mean the centre of the rear diff?, not saying torsen centre diff? Aren't they all open centre's?
Based on why Dr20T was saying a while back the early facelift ones had r180 viscous rears and the later years had the r180 torsen ones.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Return to 2.0T engine specific