Engine Replacement

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Engine Replacement

Postby yunitto » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm in need of any help, guidance, advice and knowledge you can give me.

I own 2003 AUTO liberty GT (MY04), due to bad luck (auction car no log books) and not enough TLC the engine has let go. I am able to start the car but not move it. I'm assuming ive done a piston or O rings, Have checked all sensors and replacement O2 sensor along with coils and sparks but the car wont move.

Have talked to my mechanic and he suggested to me to replace the engine as a safe bet as his done all the testing to see if the car would move again.

I have been looking around for a engine but for a replacement engine but have no luck at all. Besides going to Ichiban Imports, All Drive Subaroo Pty or one other one at Wetherill Park(not too sure where)

I know these places arent cheap with engines but they do have their reputations.

Can I use a NON-Tubro ej20 and swap parts from engine onto the it and make it run ? or can I use a wrx/impreza/forester engine instead ?

Any ideas or help is really appreciated

Cheers
yunitto

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Auto 2003 Gen 4

Re: Engine Replacement

Postby nicko » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Spewing engine are pricey..but no don't use the NA block it's different. Piston design compression etc.

You can buy a turbo ej20 engine block and swap parts over. Long process but.

Best thing to do if you want is look at car auctions. Buy a whole damaged liberty turbo then take the engine and sell the parts off the damaged auction car and make some cash on the side. Basically buy a donor car from the auctions take what you need and sell the rest :)
nicko

Car: 04 GT gen4

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:15 am

Get on Import Monster search BP5 Engine and you'll find things like this

It from a 2005 GT with 82k kms. The description says there were no problems with the engine when it was removed from the car.

Don't get excited by anything that says Tuned By STi as you are paying more for an engine with exactly the same internals. It a typical Japanese rought.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby nicko » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:42 am

Try onboost subaru wrecker near padstow Bill the owner is fair on prices
nicko

Postby yunitto » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks you guys, ill have a look into it and hopefully ill find something that can help me out really appreciate it :)
yunitto

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Ichiban will do you a drive in drive out EJ207 upgrade/fix for under $5.5k last time I checked.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby nicko » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 pm

This might sound stupid & I was shocked at the time too.. But I remember around 6years back a mechanic told my friend that his engine was blown.. The car wouldn't drive properly but he could still move it around a bit but it seemed r00ted then I took him engine hunting. Well the mechanic called back in 30min saying the cats blocked the engine is fine.

So it's worth a try get another mechanic to look at it if you can + his engine had around 250k at the time
nicko

Postby yunitto » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:Ichiban will do you a drive in drive out EJ207 upgrade/fix for under $5.5k last time I checked.

This price range is way out of my limit, wont be able to save up enough money to fix it any time this year.

nicko wrote:This might sound stupid & I was shocked at the time too.. But I remember around 6years back a mechanic told my friend that his engine was blown.. The car wouldn't drive properly but he could still move it around a bit but it seemed r00ted then I took him engine hunting. Well the mechanic called back in 30min saying the cats blocked the engine is fine.

So it's worth a try get another mechanic to look at it if you can + his engine had around 250k at the time

I've had my mechanic done a compression test to make sure it was the engine, and its came back 40psi lower on both cylinders on the drivers side :(
yunitto

Postby dr20t » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Sorry to hear of your misfortune

There's some misinfo in this thread but I won't go into that.

Your cheapest option is a used second hand ej20x or y.

Next best option is an ej207 short block with your heads and new timing and seal kit. Will still cost around 4 to 4.5k to do.

More importantly though, I would look into why your engine died. The preface Gt's were pretty much jdm spec (including the tune), meaning even completely stock and even when using 98 Ron fuel, they still knocked. Knock kills Subaru engines faster than a bullet. So I would recommend looking into a retune once you sort the new engine out
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby yunitto » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:15 pm

All good, thanks for suggestions ill looking into it all and make sure i dont leave anything out. Currently in the process of looking around for a new engine with the help of everyone here, so far its hasnt been easy but have to keep moving forward.

Cheers
yunitto

Postby nicko » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Why are you recommend him a 5k job when it's obvious he's struggling and wants to fix this on the cheap.. The car is worth 5-7k

If he was to buy a damaged liberty from the salvage auction he could pick it up for next to nothing $1000 and have a engine ready to go and he can sell the parts to pay his mechanic and make the swap cost him next to nothing after he sells the parts and scraps the shell.

An engine from the wrecker is 2-3k anyway. Why pay that much when the wrecking yard buys the cars from the auction anyway and the engines just collect dust on shelves and most places lie about shelve stored + imported engine km anyway.

Op if it was me I'll just go online auction.

If not look on gumtree a few private sales are up of guys wrecking gt libertys in NSW.

Op if your desperate for cash pm me a price if it's fair I'll buy the liberty off you.
nicko

Postby nicko » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:39 pm

I blew my engine today fml I will have heaps of parts for sale soon if anyone is keen. New and used I basically ran a muck on eBay and bought so much crap for my car only to drive home and knock knock knock knock ffffkn KNOCK
nicko

Postby yunitto » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Sorry to hear about your car Nicko, I'm still looking around for an engine if i dont find anything or ive given up ill message you about it and see if you still want it

Cheers
yunitto

Postby dr20t » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:38 pm

nicko wrote:I blew my engine today fml I will have heaps of parts for sale soon if anyone is keen. New and used I basically ran a muck on eBay and bought so much crap for my car only to drive home and knock knock knock knock ffffkn KNOCK

How did this happen?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby nicko » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:41 am

No probs, I called a few places all want 3k for an engine. I'll probably just buy a whole liberty or forester from the auction.

Hey Dr While driving I could hear a grinding sound only while in sports mode in 2nd gear but was fine in drive. Then 30min later it sounded like an exhaust leak then the sound disappeared. Then came back louder.

It still starts and drives I made it home called nrma he said something valves drivers side..it sounds like knock knock.

Here is a link and my car sounds exactly like the car in this link..

https://youtu.be/Hea9L7CEvZU

The timing belt and water pump was replaced less than 20,000km ago.

Do you know a rough price for a bent valve replacement or... no point. And I should just swap the engine?
nicko

Return to 2.0T engine specific