Cam Postion Sensor baaaad

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Cam Postion Sensor baaaad

Postby lucasryanmartin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 pm

So I replaced the turbo in my liberty a week ago, ever since its been taking a fair while to start plus thowing CEL and flashing cruise. Check DTC, P0345 - Bank 1 CPS. So unplugged the sensor, cleaned the oil out of the plug, no luck. Try cranking with it unpluged. Cranks at about 150rpm for 15seconds, then runs on cylinders 2/4 for a split second, cranks another 10 seconds and starts. Also drives horrible. Unplugged the CPS on the other side and cranked again, cranks about 150rpm for about 20 seconds and then starts. Plug that CPS back in, cranks, splutters, cranks, runs.

Follow wiring and such, connection good at B20 (brown connector under inter cooler) and B21 (big black connector). No resistance across plugs. Pull back the tape on the faulty CPS plug and find that the ground wire had snapped off at the plug. (didn't see it as the tape was holding it in place, just not together) So i pushed a pin into the back of the plug where the wire came out and then grounded it. No luck. So i joined the broken wire back to the pin i pushed into the CPS plug, and then engine dies. (done it with engine running) So i tried starting it and it wont start, like the Crank Position Sensor is unplugged.

So my question is, if the CPS is faulty will the car not run? It seems that way because when it is unplugged it will start but with it plugged in and wiring repaired it will not. Seems kind of stupid if that's the case.

Thanks in advance, Lucas.
lucasryanmartin

Car: 2004 Liberty GT

Re: Cam Postion Sensor baaaad

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:10 am

You'd want to ground it to the correct wire on the cam position sensor loom as opposed to the body.
But a new item should be affordable eg via partsouq or Amazon.

It won't run with a faulty crank position sensor afaik.
Probably not very well if at all with a faulty cam position sensor, so:

I'd grab the FSM for your car and read up on the relevant diagnostic procedures.
Once it's running, check the inlet and exhaust avcs with a BtSsm or Tactrix just to be sure.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.0T engine specific