Exhaust manifold off EJ20

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Exhaust manifold off EJ20

Postby yunitto » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi guys

I'm new to the whole car scene/forums/liberty owners, so please teach me what you know and any help is really appreciated. First off ill start with what I have which is a 2003 Auto Liberty GT (gen 4).

Problems with the car at the moment is the turbo (vf38) had blown itself, and my exhaust manifold has its heat shield rusted off (weird vibrating noise). I'm currently on a strict budget (1k~) to get my car back on the road as soon as possible as its my only car I got.

I've searched through the forums and have found topics on upgrading turbo and rebuilding turbos etc. As I am trying to find other alternatives to buying a new turbo off ebay or re-building my turbo.

I have been around wreckers around Sydney and a few performance shops and they suggested to use parts off Wrx or sti to replaces the parts on my car.

So my question is: can I use exhaust manifold off a wrx/sti (EJ20 engine) that has twin engine scrolls manifold connected to a single up-pipe into a TD04L turbo. Will this be psosible ?

Or as mentioned in http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10659 can I use any of these exhaust manifold + find another turbo that mounts up?

If not does any one else have some advice/suggestion/tips they can give me to help me with my decision.

Thank you in advance
yunitto

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Auto 2003 Gen 4

Re: Exhaust manifold off EJ20

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 pm

You will need new headers, up pipe and dump - custom dump. This will make it too expensive difficult.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby 2jz929 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:37 am

So what's wrong with buying a kinugawa for $1k and bolting it on?
2004 GT Auto Wagon - td04-20T, tmic, dump pipe, tune.
2jz929

Car: 2004 GT Auto Wagon

Postby yunitto » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi guys

HardwareBoB wrote:You will need new headers, up pipe and dump - custom dump. This will make it too expensive difficult.
thank you for explaining the other parts I missed out :D

2jz929 wrote:So what's wrong with buying a kinugawa for $1k and bolting it on?
I still need a exhaust manifold as mine has fallen to pieces due to rough driving/bad weather so I'm tippping over 1k for turbo + exhaust + gaskets/seals so .... its a little over my budget if I am unable to find good value parts (cheap).
yunitto

Postby chook » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:02 pm

If it's just the heat shield that's rusted off and is vibrating, just remove it completely and wrap the headers if your concerned about the heat output.
I have my old VF38 laying around that you can buy if you want a cheap way out.
chook

Car: MY04 liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19501

Postby yunitto » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi

chook wrote:If it's just the heat shield that's rusted off and is vibrating, just remove it completely and wrap the headers if your concerned about the heat output.
I have my old VF38 laying around that you can buy if you want a cheap way out.

Is that possible to remove the heat shield ? please bear in mind I'm not a car guy ... and have limited knowledge on what I can do... :?

As for your turbo I will be sending you a Pm.
yunitto

Postby chook » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:42 pm

Yes to remove the heat shield you can just drill out the spot welds that hold the two halves together or take to it with a grinder with a 1mm disc.
If your not confident with it an exhaust place would easily do it or a friend with power tool experience!

Good luck
chook

Car: MY04 liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19501

Postby yunitto » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 pm

chook wrote:Yes to remove the heat shield you can just drill out the spot welds that hold the two halves together or take to it with a grinder with a 1mm disc.
If your not confident with it an exhaust place would easily do it or a friend with power tool experience!

Good luck

thanks, ill see whose out there I can grab a hold that can help me :D
yunitto

Return to 2.0T engine specific