Looking at buying 04 Lib GT. Concerned about e idle problems

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Postby Arith » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:33 pm

This may have nothing to do with it, but it's free to check. :D

See if the CEL and the Cruise control lights come on after a few more hours of driving. I had an issue where it suddenly got really rough during idle, as if it wants to stall. And the drive didn't seem as powerful. By the end of the day the CEL+Cruise lights came on (as well as the flashing Si on the MY07. I dropped by Phat's who looked it over. After a quick visual inspection, it ended up being a loose vacuum hose. He says he's seen it a few times before, especially after some aggressive driving.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby 541NTT » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:23 pm

... there was some excited driving last night.... perhaps this is it? il check it out, i dont think it would be doing damage to the car if i keep driving it
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

Car: 04 GT Lib

Postby Arith » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Naw, you just don't get full boost as all. But it might take a few hours of driving before the CEL+Cruise lights go off though. Sorry if I can't more specific but check the hoses in front of the TMIC. Hopefully this is the problem and just re-attaching the hose with a cable tie to fasten it will do the trick without too much further hassle. Good luck!

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby 541NTT » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:16 pm

well i have checked the vaccum pipes and they all seem to be attached, so now i want to check the plugs and leads then itl be injectors.

this is the stupidist question i have EVER asked but im stumped, where the hell is the sparkplugs on this engine? are they located under the top mount or something? i checked out my owners manual and it doesnt show where they are, just how to pull out the plugs to check them, im looking at the injectors and thinking they have to be around here somewhere!

also is there a way i can check the injectors from home?
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

Postby ultrablue » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:13 pm

the spark plugs are on the side of the motor down near the chassis rails and you wont be able to check your own injectors
ultrablue

Car: 2010 ssv se

Postby 541NTT » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:31 pm

cheers mate, im so used to having the sparkplugs in plain view on other cars,

does anyone know how much i am expecting to pay for a new set of injectors and is this something i can do myself? they look easy enough to get to and i have the tools..
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

Postby ultrablue » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:27 am

i read some where on here subaru wanted $700 for the injectors
ultrablue

Car: 2010 ssv se

Postby SUM12C » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:56 pm

I think the injectors were around $230 each, check the other idle post in here, (didn't the the whole of this post) could be a broken down bango filter, mine broke down and advanced the cam timing by 50 degrees. causing rough idle, missfire and it got a bit hot.
| MY04 GT 5AT RED | STI Lateral Link Set, Strut Brace & Springs | Whiteline Adj Sway Bars | Cusco end Links & Brackets | Hi Tech Quads | HKS dump | Apexi Pod Filter | Air guide | Now rolling on 18" |
SUM12C

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Postby Gonads » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Hmmmm. I've had no idle issues with my wife's 92,000km MY04 GT. It revs a bit high when cold (this is apparently an emissions fix) but otherwise it purrs like a kitten. It's for sale, BTW. :)

...Ben
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Gonads

Postby SUM12C » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 pm

yeah the higher revving when cold is standard, well its happened in the two I've been in.
| MY04 GT 5AT RED | STI Lateral Link Set, Strut Brace & Springs | Whiteline Adj Sway Bars | Cusco end Links & Brackets | Hi Tech Quads | HKS dump | Apexi Pod Filter | Air guide | Now rolling on 18" |
SUM12C

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Postby 541NTT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:45 am

well i just got back from holidays yesterday and havent driven the car all last week, so last night i was driving to training and and the whole irradic idle has changed, its now like a pulse... revvvv revvvvv revvvvv revvvvv lol if you no what i mean, also when i start the car usually only from cold or close to when she fires it revs up to about 1500 then i hear a clack clack and thats when the idle drops rite down, could this be a pully or something?

i havent been driving the car hard and am trying to keep it out of boost, i notice shes not as fast as she was upon testing her, and the fact that the idle has changed leads me to beleive it most definityl is fuel, either injectors or the banjo filter

i no i no i really just need to take it into a mechanic but funds are tight so i wont be able to take her in until next week. :roll:
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

Postby subnub » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:28 am

Loss of power and erratic idle sounds like it could still be an intake leak

Edit: or maybe AFM issues, I don't know how often the Liberty ones die but this is pretty common in Skyline circles
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby 541NTT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:34 pm

intake leak? like pressure escaping around the top mount?

the only after market thing in the engine is a gfb blow off valve.. could this be possible?

i unplugged the afm and started the car and nothing changed..
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

Postby subnub » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Yes if there is a leak, it could be anywhere between your AFM and the engine, including the intercooler and the BOV. Also if the BOV is set too soft or if it's leaking this could be your culprit too. Do you have access to a pressure tester?

Not sure how the Liberty ECU handles a dead AFM or dodgy connections on the AFM cabling as I have no experience whatsoever with them, but on Skylines, if you unplug the AFM they run exactly how you've described - the idle hunts really badly and it'll probably stall, they also rev-limit at around 2500rpm though. As I said I have no idea how the Liberty ECU handles it but if it runs exactly the same with the AFM disconnected, I'd be questioning either the AFM itself, or the wiring/plug going to it. Without an AFM signal the ECU has no idea how much air is going into your engine, so will either shut down, go into a limp mode, or try to guess based on other variables like RPM and throttle position.
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby 541NTT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:10 pm

hmmm thanks subnub, il check it out tonight, with the AFM i have noticed that if the cars running and i pull the plug to the afm the car stalls, but i can start it without the plug in and it makes no difference. i might have a look at the actualy sensor tonight to.

better to eliminate the small stuff before i take it in
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

PreviousNext

Return to 2.0T engine specific