P0222 error code - safe mode - rough idle, low power

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

P0222 error code - safe mode - rough idle, low power

Postby Patton55 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Greets all,

My MY06 Liberty GT would throw a P0222 throttle position sensor B low voltage on cold mornings.
Would need to leave it warming up in safe/limp mode for 5 mins till it got some heat up then shut down and restart and you could drive.
However the idle was rough and there was noticeably less power, almost like the turbo wasn't kicking in!

My local mechanic replaced the TPS at the pedal end, cleaned the throttle body, reset the ECU and the car was fine for a couple of weeks.
However the code popped up again soon after!
This time I took it to Subaru and they pulled the top off the engine and examined the Intercooler and found a vacuum hose had split and wasn't connected properly.
They replaced and refitted and now the beast is running like new again, all issues solved, no error codes, smooth idle, full turbo power!
This is very fortunate as replacing the TPS at the throttle body involves buying a complete throttle body assembly (the TPS is actually built into the assembly apparently) and the cost is around $2,000 AUS!

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing similar symptoms ...

Regards
Patton

Patton55

Car: Subaru Liberty GT MY06

Re: P0222 error code - safe mode - rough idle, low power

Postby Patton55 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:46 pm

LOL, I jinxed myself, code popped up on cold start today! :( ... back to square one!
Patton55

Car: Subaru Liberty GT MY06

Re: P0222 error code - safe mode - rough idle, low power

Postby zch91 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:17 pm

I had similar symptoms on my MY04 GT (not that code though).

Turned out the front O2 sensor was playing up, have had no issues in the past 12 months since I replaced it.

Food for thought if nothing else!
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Return to 2.0T engine specific