Quarter times for 5eat

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Re: Quarter times for 5eat

Postby WIDELOAD » Sun May 24, 2015 7:26 am

Do not neutral to drive drop. That's really not good for the box at all.

This is how to launch an auto straight from Mick/dr20t's thread.
dr20t wrote:Trick I use is hold brake pedal down with left foot, put it into neutral whilst keeping force on the brake pedal, give it a slight rev to drop manifold vacuum. You should feel the brake pedal depress a little further if you're holding it down.

Put it back into drive (or manually select 1st), then go wide open throttle.

Will instantly rev up to around 2500rpm, then slowly start to build boost if you hold it down for 3-5 seconds.

On a good tune with good fuel, should see very decent boost built up while stalling
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby Bugalugs » Sun May 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Cheers mate! I thought the N to D sounded as dodgy as!
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby 2jz929 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:58 pm

I just braked hard with the left foot, slowly pressed the accelerator down until full throttle. It will start boost at around 2500, then let it go at approx 3200.

Will be really interested how you go, but you will have to wait until after Winternationals to get a run, which are Queens birthday weekend.

Let us know and I'll try and make it down too now that the new dump is on.
2004 GT Auto Wagon - td04-20T, tmic, dump pipe, tune.
2jz929

Car: 2004 GT Auto Wagon

Postby Bugalugs » Sun May 24, 2015 9:02 pm

2jz929 wrote:I just braked hard with the left foot, slowly pressed the accelerator down until full throttle. It will start boost at around 2500, then let it go at approx 3200.

Will be really interested how you go, but you will have to wait until after Winternationals to get a run, which are Queens birthday weekend.

Let us know and I'll try and make it down too now that the new dump is on.

That's what I have been, doing seems to work. I was looking at willowbanks "race a mate" day which is first Friday of each month, except just checked their site and June is skipped, next date 3 July. Is there another day other than "race a mate" when we can go? I've never been so not the most informed! Will let you know when I am going be great if you came along or anyone else that's keen
Bugalugs

Postby 2jz929 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:53 pm

You can go on any "test n tune" which is probably better as the whole afternoon/night is timed runs. The 'race a mate' only has some sessions that are timed and some that are just flag drops.

Don't know how often you have been to Willowbank but here's a quick run down to hopefully make it a little more comfortable. Hopefully I'll be able to make it the same night anyway.

Just in June there are Test N Tunes on 17, 20, 24, 27th. They are typically twice a week, on Wednesday and Saturday nights. You just need a motorcycle helmet, long shirt and shorts and shoes. Costs $45 and admits two people (so you get your friend to pay you $20 haha) and you get as many runs as you can fit in, which is normally 6-8 runs in a night depending on popularity. You then drive to a little shed at the start of the staging lanes and fill out a form and they will write a number on your windows (which is the number on your time slip). When it's your turn, when the tell you to come forwards just drive around the water for the burnouts then when they give the burnout signal you just drive up to stage (you will see little lines off to the side), as you creep up to these lines make sure you watch the chrismas tree. When the two lights lights at the top are lit then you are 'staged' and ready to go. Once both lanes are staged, the tree will count down and off you go. Don't worry about trying to leave right on the green as you time doesn't start until you leave the line anyway. You keep in pins until just after the big time display boards (the track changes colour at the end), then pull off the track using the first exit to the left. Drive around and and collect you time slip from the announcers office which is the brick building level with the start line. There is a little slot where they all fall down, you just look for one with your number on it.
2jz929

Postby Bugalugs » Mon May 25, 2015 5:48 pm

2jz929 wrote:You can go on any "test n tune" which is probably better as the whole afternoon/night is timed runs. The 'race a mate' only has some sessions that are timed and some that are just flag drops.

Don't know how often you have been to Willowbank but here's a quick run down to hopefully make it a little more comfortable. Hopefully I'll be able to make it the same night anyway.

Just in June there are Test N Tunes on 17, 20, 24, 27th. They are typically twice a week, on Wednesday and Saturday nights. You just need a motorcycle helmet, long shirt and shorts and shoes. Costs $45 and admits two people (so you get your friend to pay you $20 haha) and you get as many runs as you can fit in, which is normally 6-8 runs in a night depending on popularity. You then drive to a little shed at the start of the staging lanes and fill out a form and they will write a number on your windows (which is the number on your time slip). When it's your turn, when the tell you to come forwards just drive around the water for the burnouts then when they give the burnout signal you just drive up to stage (you will see little lines off to the side), as you creep up to these lines make sure you watch the chrismas tree. When the two lights lights at the top are lit then you are 'staged' and ready to go. Once both lanes are staged, the tree will count down and off you go. Don't worry about trying to leave right on the green as you time doesn't start until you leave the line anyway. You keep in pins until just after the big time display boards (the track changes colour at the end), then pull off the track using the first exit to the left. Drive around and and collect you time slip from the announcers office which is the brick building level with the start line. There is a little slot where they all fall down, you just look for one with your number on it.

Great info mate!!! Thanks :)
I have never been to Willowbank so that info is super helpful, appreciate it. Cost seems very reasonable for 6-8 runs, I'm pumped! I will go look at their "Test n Tune" dates now and see if a suitable night is coming up. I can pretty much go anytime in the next 4-6 weeks. I am keen to see what my car does now slightly modded, and keen in general to just go out there and have a crack, sounds wicked. Let me know if you have a session in mind and I will do the same. Cheers :)
Bugalugs

Postby oldmate » Mon May 25, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm keen for another run once my tune has been finalised. Got a bearing hub that needs replacing also but would love to see if tune has made any difference. Probably at least 6 weeks before I'll be able to come just with "other life shit" going on.
My05 Liberty GT Premium Wagon - Team White - Custom 3" Dump Pipe - Ultrex Cat Back Exhaust/Custom Twin Tips - K&N Filter - DIY Mesh Grill - Resonectomy - 18" King Wheels (Drifta) - Kobe Motorsport Silicon Inlet + SFB - Kobe Motorsport 50/50 BOV - Anycarlink 1080d - Whiteline Rear Sway Bars - AVO HD Mounts - Trailboss HD Towbar - DBA T2 Slotted Rotors Front And Rear
oldmate

Car: MY05 2.0T Liberty GT Wagon

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue May 26, 2015 4:33 pm

I need to go again seeing as it is not 38 degrees at the moment, I suspect that hurt me last time out.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Tue May 26, 2015 7:39 pm

At what rpm are you guys seeing 14 psi using the above stalling technique?
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Postby 2jz929 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Cant remember exactly as I don't keep the boost gauge in the car, only plug it in to check things, but around 2500 from memory.
2jz929

Postby JMlegacy » Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 am

To get off the line fast the smaller stock turbos does a good job. Combine that turbo with e85 or meth injection and you can run low 12's which is pretty quick.
I went and did a vf34 upgrade, I should have bought a meth kit instead. The vf34 isn't that much bigger, but i did get more top end in the powerband
JDM LGT 2.0 Gutted
JMlegacy

Car: Legacy GT 2004

Postby Mav954 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

Low 12's on stock turbo?? What sort of supporting mods did you have?
Mav954

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 am

Mav954 wrote:Low 12's on stock turbo?? What sort of supporting mods did you have?

the ones made from bovine flesh and feathers.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 am

HardwareBoB wrote:
Mav954 wrote:Low 12's on stock turbo?? What sort of supporting mods did you have?

the ones made from bovine flesh and feathers.

Low 12's is indeed an exaggeration JMLegacy. :D

To run low 12s - even on the 5eat, which is faster than the manuals in the 1/4, our forum members had to get turbo upgrades like GT28-GT30s, TD05-TD06 20G equivalents and all on E85. All between 240-260kw, that's double factory power.

It's true that if you go too big with the turbo, it will hurt times, but no stock turbo on the liberty (unless maybe the 'stock' twin scroll JDM vf49 off JDM Sti's) has run low 12s on E85 here. Many have tried.

The MCM crew have used a GT35r on a 3.6L H6 engine on E85 (top end only 270-280kw, but imagine just how much better their low end is compared to the 4cyl stock turbos you're talking about) with fully stripped interior and that car ran low 12s all day (finally dipped into 11.9s). If it was a stock 5eat - it would have fallen apart from all the launches they did on their 6MT.

In the states I've seen a guy run 11.8s on the 'stock' vf52. This was on a manual wrx...not sure as to what weight reduction/power/diffs/tyres/ etc. So yes, it's technically possible to run low 12s on some stock Subaru turbos, but not on liberty stock turbos (unless you have a gen5?).
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby dr20t » Wed May 27, 2015 12:58 pm

My 12.2 was done with a stock 5eat, stock long block but gt2871 turbo on e85

Used twin scroll headers with 1.5 scroll up pipe (twin scroll bottom to single t28 flange)

I believe the 2nd fastest time on this site is romesti who did a 12.5 that was post facelift 2.5 gt on stock 5eat, tomei td05-18g equivalent turbo and e85
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

PreviousNext

Return to 2.0T engine specific