Clutch Problem

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Clutch Problem

Postby 05GTLIB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey ppl im in need of some advice. I just did a heap of searching however would just like some information tailored to my exact problem..

For the last month or so i've been hearing some slight grinding/squeeling noises when i push the clutch in however this always goes away once my car warms up so i was never really all that concerned. I only drive my car once or twice a week so i thought its probably just due to lack of use.
Anyway this morning i decided to take my car for a bit of a cruise down to the beach and noticed the noise didnt go away, in fact it was louder than normal and also started to feel a slight shudder in the pedal so i thought to myself, i need to get the car home asap. Unfortunately i didnt make it, as i put the clutch in to shift down a gear i heard a horrible clunk sound and saw a puff of some come from under my bonnet scoop, my clutch then had no reistance at all so i knew this was bad, i also could no longer engage any gear, its just stuck in neutral. Had to get the car towed.
Im guessing im up for a new clutch? Really sucks as this has come up at a shocking time (as it always does)
Anyway i guess i really just want conformation and maybe a rough cost for replacement? Fyi car is an 05 gt
Many thanks in advance!!!
Tom
05GTLIB

Car: 05 liberty gt

Re: Clutch Problem

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:58 pm

Are you sitting down?
Clutch and single mass flywheel kit is about $1k, with typically 600-1k labour to fit, more if things are broken horribly
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby HighTech RedNeck » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:08 am

i would say that the throw out bearing has collapsed and the slave cylinder isn't getting enough travel to disengage the clutch with the buggered bearing
Speed doesn't kill its the sudden stop that does.
HighTech RedNeck

Car: 2005 Liberty GT 5M

Postby 05GTLIB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 am

FML, i knew this wasnt going to be cheap.
Bugger, thanks guys for the heads up.
Hopefully i can get it to a workshop one of the afternoons this week or first thing Saturday morning. I ll let you know the outcome.
Thanks
05GTLIB

Car: 05 liberty gt

Return to 2.0T engine specific