er HC code on dash .... 04 GT

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

er HC code on dash .... 04 GT

Postby lucasryanmartin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Hey guys, have just put my car back together after getting the injectors cleaned, so i had the intercooler, alternator and inlet manifold off, which includes unplugging all the injector, map sensor, boost sensor and alternator plugs. Now everything is back together and plugged in, just put my battery back in to start the car and its got no crank. er HC comes up in the dash with no CEL present....whats the problem???? How can i fix this, need my car asap! Many thanks in advance
lucasryanmartin

Car: 2004 Liberty GT

Re: er HC code on dash .... 04 GT

Postby brainy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Check the voltage of your battery. I saw this message when my battery voltage was too low.

Also, check the fuses under the hood. Make sure that none of those have blown.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby lucasryanmartin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Battery voltage is 12.6v smd no blown fuses
lucasryanmartin

Postby dr20t » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 am

Check your engine earths and alternator connections.

Err HC is high speed canbus error, which relates to the canbus circuit not being complete. This could be from a bad earth, bad connection or a faulty part in the canbus circuit.

Ecu, dash cluster, key fob ignition barrel, BIU and various sensors are some of the things that make up the canbus circuit

Failing the above, you will need an auto elec to run an oscilliscope through the car and check for bad connections.

Good luck
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby lucasryanmartin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 am

Ive done a bit off hunting around and found that wriggling the main engine wiring harness before it goes through the firewall will make the er HC go away, so i unplugged this connector and found it to be quite oil soaked, oil has most likely got into a connector somewhere and has pushed its way up, i'm hoping it hasnt gone further that.

Now that i can get the er HC to go away, i can crank the vehicle,but it wont start now, turns over really slowly, + makes grinding noises like as if the starter is skipping teeth. Will turn over faster if i bang on the starter. Is there much of an issue with subaru starters and are they hard to come by second hand?

Cheers
lucasryanmartin

Postby lucasryanmartin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Never mind i've fixed it.....was a dirty engine block ground. Pulled it off and noticed a nice slick of oil and shit around it, cleaned it now and it runs like a dream
lucasryanmartin

Return to 2.0T engine specific