Bolt on turbos

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Bolt on turbos

Postby knockoutgiant » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey guys... So I've been looking into turbos and rather unsure just exactly what options I have.... First of all I want to keep the look of the top mount intercooler so I'll be going with a AVO unit, secondly single or twin scroll it really doesn't worry me, and last of all I WANT (not necessarily going to get) 410AWHP. So with that in mind, what bolt on turbos do we have? As far as I know the best option for bolt-ons is the Blouch 440xt right?
knockoutgiant

Car: Legacy

Re: Bolt on turbos

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:22 pm

knockoutgiant wrote:Hey guys... So I've been looking into turbos and rather unsure just exactly what options I have.... First of all I want to keep the look of the top mount intercooler so I'll be going with a AVO unit, secondly single or twin scroll it really doesn't worry me, and last of all I WANT (not necessarily going to get) 410AWHP. So with that in mind, what bolt on turbos do we have? As far as I know the best option for bolt-ons is the Blouch 440xt right?

That is 300awKw... or 450Kw roughly at the engine or 2.5x more than the factory power output.

Blouch XT440 is good for around 240Kw and it is single scroll.

Need a GRB EJ207 motor to start with, ID1000's then a bolt on GTX2863R twinscroll turbo(I have a source as have done them) or bigger to make over 300Kw@wheels.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Sean82 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:12 pm

The Blouch 440XT isn't even close to a bolt on to the 2.0T.

To upgrade to get anything near 300kW, you're going to need (as a minimum):
- headers
- up pipe
- turbo (big ass one like Matt (above) suggested, or bigger)
- down pipe
- injectors
- fuel pump
- intercooler; my understanding is that a good TMIC will support ~300kW on E85, but ideally a FMIC will work better.

Even with the XT440 you'll still need basically everything on that list above, sans injectors, to max it's potential even on regular pump fuel.

Start with a complete GRB EJ207 and the VF49 it comes with. They're a whole lot of fun 8)
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby knockoutgiant » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Okay well, this is going to be done over a decent period of time. Not into engine swaps etc so the stock one's staying. Also want to keep it stock looking hence the reason going with a AVO TMIC instead of the PW TMIC. Mods list so far is going to be:

Tomei single or twin scroll headers (Depending on which turbo I go for)
Cobb catted down pipe
Custom mid pipe with high flow muffler
STI Genome axle back exhausts
AVO TMIC
K&N Typhoon intake
Injectors
Fuel pump
Stand alone ECU

With all that, and a bolt on turbo it will still give me the stock look, and a decent power level. Garrett GTX2863R's don't bolt onto the TMIC's do they?
knockoutgiant

Postby dr20t » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Not to sound blunt at all, but I suggest doing some more research on this forum

You will find alot of info that will help
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby kiahatsiu » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Where are you located? If you are in Brisbane or near by I have plenty of shit to get you started in my garage.
Run a blouch dom 1.5 xtr 7 cm rear turbo.
Forget the Hurricane inlet.
What fuel do you plan on running on?
What transmission do you have?
Check my thread and dr20ts threads for two ways to achieve reasonable power from 2.0ts.
Also, chook's
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby dr20t » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Chook's is a forged ej255 with ej20x heads
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby kiahatsiu » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Oh, forget chook's then.
kiahatsiu

Postby knockoutgiant » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:17 am

kiahatsiu wrote:Where are you located? If you are in Brisbane or near by I have plenty of shit to get you started in my garage.
Run a blouch dom 1.5 xtr 7 cm rear turbo.
Forget the Hurricane inlet.
What fuel do you plan on running on?
What transmission do you have?
Check my thread and dr20ts threads for two ways to achieve reasonable power from 2.0ts.
Also, chook's

Again I didn't think the dom 1.5's bolt to the TMIC?

I'll give both of your threads a look.

I'm actually in NZ aha, we've got 98RON here and that's all it'll be running on.

Stock 5 speed manual which I know will be a bit iffy at power levels like that, but we'll see how it runs :lol:

Already have the Typhoon intake so I'm not getting rid of that aha.

So what are my options for direct bolt on turbos.... Still thinking the 440 is the largest direct bolt on correct?

I do want roughly 400hp but I know I'll be pushing it on a stock block and a direct bolt on so that's not a necessity, just wanting to get the closest I can with staying TMIC'ed and direct bolt on turbo.
knockoutgiant

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 pm

2.0 gts don't have flanges on the intercooler, they just have a silicon pipe, the 2.5s do...so the blouch xtr 1.5 will work.
At least that is how I remember it.
kiahatsiu

Postby knockoutgiant » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:19 am

kiahatsiu wrote:2.0 gts don't have flanges on the intercooler, they just have a silicon pipe, the 2.5s do...so the blouch xtr 1.5 will work.
At least that is how I remember it.

Actually you've brought up a good point! The 2.0's have a flange on the turbo now that I come to think of it.... This makes me wonder are there and direct bolt on's for the 2.0's as the 1.5 isn't flanged on the outlet side?
knockoutgiant

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:42 pm

The only dirct bolt on is a kinugawa thing. If you are going tomei headers with a single scroll up pipe the world if your oyster.
kiahatsiu

Postby knockoutgiant » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Really not keep on the kinugawa "Thing" :lol:

Thinking about it, do the perrin/avo TMIC for the 2.5's suit the 2.0's? I know the stock TMIC's are different but the turbo it still flanged on the 2.0's making me think they'll still bolt up?

I don't mine going single scroll, would rather twin but I'll have to see what I can get. Seems to me like the best idea would be getting a different turbo then welding on the correct flange/degree joint to mate up to the avo TMIC....
knockoutgiant

Postby kiahatsiu » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:15 pm

I had no dramas with a set of ebay equal length headers with single scroll set up..it was a little laggy though!
For a street set up I would got a blouch 18g xtr, some kando (i think that is what mine were) headers with HPC coating, a silicon inlet, an AVO drop in pump (265lph, cost more, but drop in and dont die), some sort of 650-850cc injectors, side feeds, wouldn't bother with the top feed conversion.
I think your typhoon intake might actually hold you back, but i would imagine you would see 220kw+ at the wheels on 98 with all that.
No need for standalone computers. The stock one can be tuned. And the canbus shit is a nightmare. I have walked this path already for you.
Oh, and 220kw is where an exceedy HD 5 speed clutch will start to let go, and thus is about the limit of the 5 speed. If you start feeding them biiiig clutches you will bust them.

Oh, and it is time I came clean, as no one reads this shit. I cheated with my stock 2.0, it had L19 head studs in it...that is why I never pushed water, and just kept grinning when the Coyote wound more and more boost into with a worried look.
kiahatsiu

Postby Sean82 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:57 pm

kiahatsiu wrote:Oh, and it is time I came clean, as no one reads this shit. I cheated with my stock 2.0, it had L19 head studs in it...that is why I never pushed water, and just kept grinning when the Coyote wound more and more boost into with a worried look.

Busted you dodgy FKR! :lol:

AVO/Perrin TMIC won't work for your twin scroll headers/up pipe; these need replacing no matter what, if you aren't keen on the Kinugawa turbo.

There's no reason you can't get a set of stock 2.5L exhaust collectors (e.g. from WRX, XT Foz, LGT...basically anything really) and use aftermarket cross- and up pipes (like the Grimmspeed ones), then bolt on suitable 'flanged' turbo to suit the AVO/Perrin TMIC for the 2.5L. You might be able to get the exhaust 'collectors' from a non-ELH model for next to nothing, then it's about $600 for the cross- and up pipes new. But again, no reason the stock ones can't be used, they support well over 200kW on 2.5Ls...

Turbos suitable include:

AVO380 and AVO400L (<--wrong comp housing in the pics, but they are available with the flange housing for the LGT 2.5L)
Blouch 380XT and 440XT
GT Pumps also do the GTPS02TM and GTPS03TM (<--GTPS03 link isn't the TM version you need for the AVO/Perrin TMIC, but they're available)

All are basically TD05-18G or TD05/6-20G equivalents. Basically.
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific