Bolt on turbos

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Re: Bolt on turbos

Postby knockoutgiant » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Hmm... This seems like it's going to be a little harder than I thought....

I'm not looking at making a "Budget" build. I will do this right.

The whole reason for wanting a "Bolt on" turbo is I want the engine bay to look stock.

I'm thinking getting a turbo similar to the GTX2863R, along with the Tomei headers then modifying the compressor outlet to suit the TMIC... Seems like it will work to me... :S
knockoutgiant

Car: Legacy

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:17 pm

knockoutgiant wrote:Hmm... This seems like it's going to be a little harder than I thought....

I'm not looking at making a "Budget" build. I will do this right.

The whole reason for wanting a "Bolt on" turbo is I want the engine bay to look stock.

I'm thinking getting a turbo similar to the GTX2863R, along with the Tomei headers then modifying the compressor outlet to suit the TMIC... Seems like it will work to me... :S

What're your priorities - peak power numbers on a dyno/race car/drag car or a useable daily car?

1. As Ian "L19" kiahatsiu pointed out - your intake will most likely not support anywhere near the power you're after. What is the internal diameter of the piping?

2. The 2863 won't support anywhere near the power you're after on 98. You'll need something 3076+ (3582r...?). Which won't fit for the stock look, and would be ridiculous to drive on 2.0. Read kiahatsiu thread - even his 20g (something like a gt3069 in specs) was coming onto full boost either 4000 or 4.5krpm on e85. Imagine that on 98!

3. Stock block won't support anywhere near the power you're after. Read dr0t and kiahatsiu threads. The latter came very close to your goals, but on e85 and with PROPER supporting mods. Not "stock looking" (and as we now know - with L19 headstuds!!! :lol: ). Both engines went bang, even though e85 is much better at knock prevention.

If you want useful 400whp - get yourself a 3.0 H6 and turbo it. Or aim for 300whp with your 2.0, and you'll be glad if you get a twin scroll (over single) for it :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby dr20t » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Very good advice by Alexei

I don't want to be a dick but again you need to do alot of reading

I know for a fact I have posted many many combos on this very forum that will meet your needs

Start with learning what combo works and doesn't work

Work back from your budget, desired aim, then power. Read

Read alot. I mean a shitload.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:2. The 2863 won't support anywhere near the power you're after on 98. You'll need something 3076+ (3582r...?). Which won't fit for the stock look, and would be ridiculous to drive on 2.0. Read kiahatsiu thread - even his 20g (something like a gt3069 in specs) was coming onto full boost either 4000 or 4.5krpm on e85. Imagine that on 98!

3. Stock block won't support anywhere near the power you're after. Read dr0t and kiahatsiu threads. The latter came very close to your goals, but on e85 and with PROPER supporting mods. Not "stock looking" (and as we now know - with L19 headstuds!!! :lol: ). Both engines went bang, even though e85 is much better at knock prevention.

If you want useful 400whp - get yourself a 3.0 H6 and turbo it. Or aim for 300whp with your 2.0, and you'll be glad if you get a twin scroll (over single) for it :)

Stock VF53 on an STi Spec C motor went 270Kw on pump fuel with only a decatted dump pipe and stock exhaust(class rules) on pump fuel, backed up by the fact it was beating EVO's ;)

Now, since you probably dont remember that Mick/DR20T made 216Kw on a safe 16psi tune(up from the low 190's on 20psi tune it had) with a GT2871R with an auto before we did the E85 swap(I would of ran 20psi on 98 if we were not focused on converting to E85)

Currently doing an ATP GTX2863R on a Jap owners 2011 Spec C. So far... on japanese pump fuel, it is achieveing its 300Kw goal with a full exhaust, studs and ID1000's :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby dr20t » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 pm

218awkw on 16.5 psi for the Sticklers...

dr20t

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

dr20t wrote:218awkw on 16.5 psi for the Sticklers...

We also know that turbo is great on 22psi for a 2L

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:2. The 2863 won't support anywhere near the power you're after on 98. You'll need something 3076+ (3582r...?). Which won't fit for the stock look, and would be ridiculous to drive on 2.0. Read kiahatsiu thread - even his 20g (something like a gt3069 in specs) was coming onto full boost either 4000 or 4.5krpm on e85. Imagine that on 98!

Stock VF53 on an STi Spec C motor went 270Kw on pump fuel with only a decatted dump pipe and stock exhaust(class rules) on pump fuel, backed up by the fact it was beating EVO's ;)

Now, since you probably dont remember that Mick/DR20T made 216Kw on a safe 16psi tune(up from the low 190's on 20psi tune it had) with a GT2871R with an auto before we did the E85 swap(I would of ran 20psi on 98 if we were not focused on converting to E85)

Currently doing an ATP GTX2863R on a Jap owners 2011 Spec C. So far... on japanese pump fuel, it is achieveing its 300Kw goal with a full exhaust, studs and ID1000's :)

You really enjoy our arguments, don't you Matt!

The OP clearly states he doesn't want to swap engines to a spec c. :lol:

Even if OP does get 300kwatw on a stock 2.0 longblock, it won't be on a gt28. Then he's going to blow his engine, his gearbox and his budget.

On the spec c thing....I agree that it may be the best option (only option that ticks all his boxes) if one wants to stay with a 2.0
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:You really enjoy our arguments, don't you Matt!

Even if OP does get 300kwatw on a stock 2.0 longblock, it won't be on a gt28. Then he's going to blow his engine, his gearbox and his budget.

On the spec c thing....I agree that it may be the best option (only option that ticks all his boxes) if one wants to stay with a 2.0

Notice I did not mention that OP should swap his engine? Just pointing out that the GTX2863R on a 2L engine will support the power goals he has even on a stock engine, albeit with head studs.

Also, the GTX2863R can have an adaptor to suit the stock style intercooler(outlet faces up at a 45 degree angle and hose bolts to the TMIC) via a kit. Another reason why I mentioned I can get the GTX2863R in JDM twin scroll which if you ask, they dont have ;) Funnily enough, I can get it 8)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:You really enjoy our arguments, don't you Matt!

Notice I did not mention that OP should swap his engine? Just pointing out that the GTX2863R on a 2L engine will support the power goals he has even on a stock engine, albeit with head studs.

Also, the GTX2863R can have an adaptor to suit the stock style intercooler(outlet faces up at a 45 degree angle and hose bolts to the TMIC) via a kit. Another reason why I mentioned I can get the GTX2863R in JDM twin scroll which if you ask, they dont have ;) Funnily enough, I can get it 8)

Lol. Go to sleep Matt, you're drunk :shock: :lol:
alexeiwoody

Postby Deep Heat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 am

Didn't mick's engine go pop as well?
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am

Just like to point out my engine stretched or snapped a rod bolt. Rods and gaskets were fine. The 2.0s are a strong motor.

I would also like to point out that a 2.5 built by a very reputable builder with modified spec C heads running jun cams with a low mounted mega dollar pte6262 turbo set up cannot make 300kw at wheels on e85 at 18 psi. By the way, it looks nothing like stock under the bonnet.

Honestly, just be happy with the 220kw that is fairly achievable on 98 with the 2.0. Also, be prepared to spend $10k achieving that number. It all adds up very quickly.

And throw that K&N inlet shit in the bin.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby knockoutgiant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I feel like you guys think I don't know some of this stuff.

I know when getting near 300kw the motor, box and hell maybe even the diff will become extremely fragile.

I know 300kw for a 2.0 without engine work/ridiculous turbo is unlikely (Hence the reason I said *Want* and not *Will get*)

I'm also aware of the costs as I've said before, this is not going to be a budget build and I'm not trying to make it one. I've already spent roughly 9k on the Legacy just getting it to look how I want and the engine mods will be not different.

So let me make the "Criteria" clear aha. Basically I want it to be stock looking, stock looking enough that I can fit the stock engine cover over it once I'm done (I don't mind having to modify the cover to fit). I'd like 300kw but this is in NO WAY a necessity, I would still be thrilled with 220kw. I would more like a nice mix between spool and power rather than have the 300kw but not get it untill 5k. The Legacy will be used as a daily driver with the occasional trackday every once in a while.

Honestly.... I'm liking the sound of the twin scroll GTX2863R Kido's mentioning :lol:
knockoutgiant

Car: Legacy

Postby Sean82 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Also, the GTX2863R can have an adaptor to suit the stock style intercooler(outlet faces up at a 45 degree angle and hose bolts to the TMIC) via a kit. Another reason why I mentioned I can get the GTX2863R in JDM twin scroll which if you ask, they dont have ;) Funnily enough, I can get it 8)

Got a link Matt? I'm either hallucinating or digging up a very old memory of seeing a pic of it somewhere, sometime, online...for some reason I'm seeing a blue hose connection :|
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby dr20t » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Sean82 wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Also, the GTX2863R can have an adaptor to suit the stock style intercooler(outlet faces up at a 45 degree angle and hose bolts to the TMIC) via a kit. Another reason why I mentioned I can get the GTX2863R in JDM twin scroll which if you ask, they dont have ;) Funnily enough, I can get it 8)

Got a link Matt? I'm either hallucinating or digging up a very old memory of seeing a pic of it somewhere, sometime, online...for some reason I'm seeing a blue hose connection :|

You're remembering various info we exchanged where I showed you how to make one of these contraptions come together

dr20t

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Take or leave the advice being tendered here. Tradtionally one does not critisize the advice being offered by people who have nearly accomplished your goals using more involved setups with larger turbos.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to 2.0T engine specific