MY05 Liberty GT DMF to SMF Conversion

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

MY05 Liberty GT DMF to SMF Conversion

Postby SHIZNT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm

So the clutch has decided to let go in my MY05 Liberty GT and I've decided to go down the SMF route as of course its cheaper and I'm not a huge fan of the clutch in Liberty coming from a GC8 WRX.

Now after some research it seems the clutch used if going to a SMF is the same as a GGA & GDB WRX. Does this mean I can get a second hand flywheel from a wreckers from a WRX and just get it machined to suit?

Also is it worth going down the route of getting a Heavy Duty Exedy clutch as I will be using the car to tow my Jetski during summer and don't want to overheat a standard clutch?

So for my showing list contains a Second hand GGA WRX Flywheel and Exedy FJK-7853HD Clutch Kit.

If anyone can verify this is all I need it would greatly be appreciated.
SHIZNT

Car: MY05 Liberty GT Wagon 2.0T

Re: MY05 Liberty GT DMF to SMF Conversion

Postby fibble » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Hey mate,

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the WRX flywheel.

I suggest dropping in (or calling) Northern Brake & Clutch in Kensington - they will help you out.

You can go SD or HD clutch depending on your requirement (I went HD), but from memory the SMF is a unique part number (different to flex flywheel in WRX).

Full Exedy kit (with HD clutch) is: FJK-7731SMFHD

The guys above will sell you the complete (and correct) kit for around $1,100 from memory.

Good Luck
fibble

Car: GT

Postby SHIZNT » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:05 am

I ended up buying the FJK-7731SMF Exedy kit through a mate who works for a distributor of Exedy. Dropped the car off to Leo's Garage on Monday morning to get the worn DMF setup converted to the new SMF and after much anticipation I was able to pick the car up yesterday afternoon.

All I can say is WOW... took a few times stalling on take off to get used to difference in the clutch but apart from that it is so much better to drive. Acceleration is improved a fair bit and the clutch feel is so much better.

Coming from a moderately modified WRX the stock Liberty felt like a slug, now the car feels like with an exhaust and decent tune it may have some potential ;)

Took a pic of the deceased clutch setup

SHIZNT

Car: MY05 Liberty GT Wagon 2.0T

Postby fibble » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Congrats mate!!!

You'll probably also notice some different harmonics from the gearbox/clutch as you decelerate in gear as well.

All part of the SMF experience... :wink:
fibble

Car: GT

Return to 2.0T engine specific