Exhaust System

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Exhaust System

Postby swingn » Thu May 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Hey all

Trying to get a bit more info about which exhaust system I should go for on my MY06 GT Stat Wag.

From talking to a few people Fujisubo looks to be the go.

I'm wanting to get a catback to begin with, know that the system will be good when I do the front end at a later stage.

I mainly want to get a nice note (I already know the classic WRX burble isn't going to happen) thats not illegal loud. As long as it a little louder then stock I will be more then happy. I just want to make sure that the system is not droney inside the cabbin when highway driving.

I'm hopefully going to catch up with Phat GT in the next few weeks, so just trying to get my shopping list together :wink:

Cheers
Matty
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby Arith » Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Heh-heh. It looks like you've already made up your mind, and just looking for confirmation that the Fujitsubo's are the way to go.

If decently quiet and sporty appearance is what you're after, I'd say the Fujitsubo's fit the bill. They're a bit crackly IMO, but sounds aggressive and sporty. Hardly any drone inside the cabin from what I've experienced as a passenger. Plus a large percentage of the modders on the forum have them, so it's gotta be good!

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby viriix » Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 pm

tee hee

Go Team Fujitsubo! :p

When I heard Louey's mmm and then Phil's on the 07 mmm..

Leo's Apexi's had a very nice deep sound I thought :victory:
Current: MY12 Tornado Red VW Golf GTI
Past: MY07 Pearl White Subaru Liberty GT-B | MY04 Arctic Blue Honda Accord Euro-L | MY2K Salsa Red Dodge Neon
viriix

Postby tangcla » Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I'd do the downpipe first :)
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby swingn » Thu May 15, 2008 1:11 pm

tangcla wrote:I'd do the downpipe first :)

Any particular reason why?

I thought the standard mufflers were pretty restrictive thus negating any advantages you would get doing the top end of the exhaust.
swingn
-stickered-

Postby tangcla » Thu May 15, 2008 4:03 pm

swingn wrote:Any particular reason why?

I thought the standard mufflers were pretty restrictive thus negating any advantages you would get doing the top end of the exhaust.
Have you seen how restrictive the stock downpipe is? :P

I guess my goals were different to yours - I wanted to keep noise to a miniumum whilst trying to gain as much as I can. I ended up with the STi muffs and AVO downpipe.

100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Postby Arith » Thu May 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Haha. As swingn stated "I mainly want to get a nice note". While pairing up an aftermarket DP with a stock exhaust, the note will get deeper, but it won't be anything noticeable.

It may be ideal for him to start with the exhaust, because that will definitely achieve the objective he wants from this upgrade. Because who knows what a stock exhaust will sound like with the DP upgrade?

Then it's just a matter of seeing how it goes in terms of noise level. If he likes it and then wants to further power gains, the DP would be the next option.

Unless of course he has the bucks to do both at once! :happy:

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby swingn » Thu May 15, 2008 4:36 pm

tangcla wrote:
swingn wrote:Any particular reason why?

Have you seen how restrictive the stock downpipe is? :P

I guess my goals were different to yours - I wanted to keep noise to a miniumum whilst trying to gain as much as I can. I ended up with the STi muffs and AVO downpipe.

Can't say I'm overly fimiliar with the stock down pipe. Was there a noticable gain in terms of power from just doing that?

From my point of view I do want more power, but I also want a bit of presence. Obviously anything I do I want the flexibility to go further in terms of power etc. But if I run out of money to spend on my car or loose interest (Not likely), I'd like to achieve a good balance of performance vs presence (i.e - Street Cred, everyone wants it!) 8)
swingn
-stickered-

Postby swingn » Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Arith wrote:Unless of course he has the bucks to do both at once! :happy:

We'll just have to wait & see how good of a deal PhatGT can get me :wink:
swingn
-stickered-

Postby tangcla » Thu May 15, 2008 5:03 pm

The stock downpipe has the wastegate port blocked off. The AVO one has two separate pipes for the wastegate and the exhaust wheel.

tangcla

Postby tangcla » Thu May 15, 2008 5:04 pm

In all honesty the stock exhaust does sound shit with the downpipe :P

tangcla

Postby swingn » Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 am

tangcla wrote:In all honesty the stock exhaust does sound shit with the downpipe :P

:lol: I just think the standard exhaust systems are sounding worse as time goes on. We used to have a WRX back in 99 & it had a really nice note stock. Wasn't loud of course but as a stock car it was nice.

So beside the catback system, which brand of front pipe should I go for? Or does it really not make much of a difference?
swingn
-stickered-

Postby Spec B Wgn » Mon May 19, 2008 12:44 pm

swingn wrote:
tangcla wrote:I'd do the downpipe first :)

Any particular reason why?

muffler changes will net you approx 5 kws gains max no more... but your exhaust note will be totally different..

A change in down pipe will net you approx 15 kws and a free flowing turbo not restricted by a backing plate... hence quicker spool up.

This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby tangcla » Mon May 19, 2008 12:55 pm

swingn wrote: :lol: I just think the standard exhaust systems are sounding worse as time goes on. We used to have a WRX back in 99 & it had a really nice note stock. Wasn't loud of course but as a stock car it was nice.
It's just the 2.0T Liberty, due to the even length headers... the 2.5T gets the rumble again, and the stock exhaust sounds nice.

swingn wrote:So beside the catback system, which brand of front pipe should I go for? Or does it really not make much of a difference?
I have an AVO one, I needed to get the flange on the stock Y-pipe changed from ball to flat flange because it was leaking. Apart from that, it's fine.
According to the diagram that Spec B Wgn posted, the AVO one is a front pipe and midpipe :)

tangcla

Postby swingn » Mon May 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

For a first move I just want to do catback. Its more for the sound & look as I know until the cat is replaced I'm not going to get any significant gains. At this stage its looking like the Fujisubo is the way to go.

I will get a new front pipe, just depends if I can afford to do it all at the same time. As we all know, parts for the Liberty's aren't what you call cheap, especially when compared to parts for a WRX or EVO.

So AVO looks like a good option for the down pipe / mid pipe. HKS has also been mentioned to me (I know a few guys are running them). Any other brands I should look into?
swingn
-stickered-

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific