Turbo upgrade MY05 GT

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Turbo upgrade MY05 GT

Postby Archie01 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi All

I'm contemplating upgrading the turbo on my auto MY05 Liberty GT 2.0 and would like to see around 180kwatw.

From my research so far there's not much in terms of a simple bolt on turbo for the vf38 and I''m not too keen on changing headers, up pipe, dump pipe etc by going single scroll as i'd like to keep costs down.

Spoke to GT pumps who advised that they don't have a bolt on turbo for my requirements however suggested that one possibility might be to high flow (vf34 internals) the TD04 from the manual liberty as opposed to the vf38 as the TD04 is slighlty larger (probably in the exhaust housing but not 100% sure) and it may be less restrctive to making power v's a high flowed vf38.
Searched on the forum and saw a few encouraging posts in terms of my power from a vf38 with vf34 internals however nothing on a TD04 with vf34 internals.

Anyone been down this path before or knows of someone that has?
Understand that I am splitting hairs here and if there is any benefit it will be marginal but the way i see it is I'll take that benefit if the cost is going to be the same :)

Current mods are:
Hyperflow TMIC
AVO dump pipe from back of turbo and 3" exhaust
Silicon intake
ECUtek tune (soon to be Matt KiDo tuned)
Archie01

Car: MY05 Liberty Wagon GT Auto

Turbo upgrade MY05 GT

Postby Sean82 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:07 pm

How much is the modded TD04HLA?

It's going to be your cheapest option most likely because you already have DP and TMIC which are specific to the VF38/TS04HLA

I've looked into options a fair bit and best I've come up with is a used VF53 or 56 from Kris at Rising Sun (turbos are near identical it just all depends on what Subaru Japan hand over to Kris). With the JDM twin scroll headers, up pipe and down pipe, it's about $2000. Of course I need a new TMIC to suit; though I've opted for a FMIC...

I'm told this upgrade (VF53/56) will net about 200-220 on 98RON.
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Re: Turbo upgrade MY05 GT

Postby Archie01 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks for your reply Sean.

I haven't looked into what 'high flowing' the TD04HLA yet will cost as i thought I'd get some peoples thoughts on it who have more experience/knowledge first. At a stab i would think it would probably cost around $1.5k to $2k to do it...

I just realised though if my AVO cast iron dump that bolts onto the back of the turbo is for a vf38, I take it that it won't bolt onto the back of a TD04? So i will have to get another one?

Your set up would be ideal however on the off chance that the turbo needs to be done that would blow my budget.
Any idea whether the JDM twin scroll headers will change the exhaust note more like a WRX?

Also with a 180atw target I am hoping to get away with not having to change injectors and worry about the tranny letting go (has a tranny cooler fitted) but again 180atw limit is only based on internet reasearch.
Archie01

Turbo upgrade MY05 GT

Postby Sean82 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Afaik mate the VF38 and TD04HLA have the same spider-like bolt pattern on the rear housing, so you shouldn't need a new DP.

As for the JDM headers, no they are twin scroll also, equal length just like our LGT ones.
To get the burble, you'd need to go single scroll with unequal length headers.
Sean82

Postby d-chang » Thu May 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Sean82 wrote:Afaik mate the VF38 and TD04HLA have the same spider-like bolt pattern on the rear housing, so you shouldn't need a new DP.

As for the JDM headers, no they are twin scroll also, equal length just like our LGT ones.

You are about 95% correct there, I am actually in the process now of converting my GT from equal to unequal length to get the burble... I need to find out if the headers will fit onto the twin scroll up pipe. I will keep you guys posted if I succeed! :lol:
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby dr20t » Thu May 01, 2014 8:08 pm

d-chang wrote:
Sean82 wrote:Afaik mate the VF38 and TD04HLA have the same spider-like bolt pattern on the rear housing, so you shouldn't need a new DP.

You are about 95% correct there, I am actually in the process now of converting my GT from equal to unequal length to get the burble... I need to find out if the headers will fit onto the twin scroll up pipe. I will keep you guys posted if I succeed! :lol:

Headers won't bolt up to your stock liberty twin scroll up pipe

Nothing will. No aftermarket or factory headers.

Trust me on this ;)
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby jslayz » Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 am

dr20t wrote:
d-chang wrote:

Headers won't bolt up to your stock liberty twin scroll up pipe

Nothing will. No aftermarket or factory headers.

Trust me on this ;)

Mick is right on.

Custom uppipe needed.
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby d-chang » Fri May 02, 2014 1:39 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! So no rumble for me...

It's a sad day...

Thanks Mick! :) I guess brakes it is for me then...
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby Sean82 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Go all out:

- GT Spec UEL headers (why pay more for Tomei that are made in the same factory???)
- GT Spec single scroll up pipe
- XXXXXX Turbo (e.g. VF52, VF43 VF48...I personally don't like the hype surrounding the VF34... or something of decent size like an AVO 450L)
- New bell mouth to suit (any decent zorst shop should be able to mod your current DP....

There you have it...burble/rumble.
Sean82

Postby Archie01 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Anyone had any experience with this turbo on a 2.0ltr GT?

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinug ... croll.aspx
Archie01

Postby dr20t » Sun May 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Archie01 wrote:Anyone had any experience with this turbo on a 2.0ltr GT?

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinug ... croll.aspx

Judging by the picture of the turbine twin scroll gasket in the above link, I think you may have just found the first and only aftermarket turbo upgrade for the prefacelift 04-06 GT

Would you mind emailing them and asking for diameter of the twin scroll turbine housing (Hotside) inlet holes? Also worth finding out the spacing between the two inlet ports.

That will decipher if it will fit. If so, this is a great find as that housing can be adapted to various other turbos, saving alot o headaches for those looking to upgrade.

Please post your findings on here if you do send the email.

*edit* - did some more searching on the site and found this:

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinug ... oll-1.aspx

Listed under legacy / liberty twin scroll. This listing had 8 pics compared to only 1 in the original link above.

Looking at those pics, I'm almost 100% certain this is a bolt up upgrade for the ej20y / ej20x twin scroll dual avcs prefacelift GT motors. I compared these to the "normal" Subaru twin scroll turbos listed by kinugawa (jdm wrx Sti replacements), and they look different. The turbine twin inlet diameter also looks smaller which accords with the vf38 38mm holes compared to 48mm of the jdm wrx Sti twin scroll entry diameter. The dump pipe flange is also looking very much like the unique star sequence GT one (vf38 / td04hla) which is unique. Even the names they've given these models look suspiciously similar to the oem GT liberty designation of td04hlXXX

So I'm going on a limb here and saying these "should" fit - but best to confirm with kinugawa.

Great find!

Mick

dr20t

Postby jslayz » Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 am

They state bolt on replacement to VF38 among others.
Wow, keen to see someone confirm this fits and get one on!

I'm sure plenty of peeps will get onto this if it fits properly and delivers better performance.
Kinugawa could have a winner!

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Sean82 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:11 am

I've just emailed Car Mods Aus (the owner, Dan, is my ex-brother in law) to see if he can get one in for me to test fit (I've asked about the 20T figuring why not spend the extra $100 for what should be a "better" turbo)
If he can and it fits, I'll fab up a bell mouth for the stock DP and take the car to PiTS to have some tuning done on the stock VF38 and then the Kinu turbo to compare results. Obviously there'd be some delays and minor differences in the conditions the dyno runs would be done in so results wouldn't be perfectly comparable, but they'd be bloody close...
If there's anyone out there with a TD04HLA in good condition lying around willing to send it to me for yet more scientific testing (read "tuning fun"), please let me know.
I'm hoping that because a dealer would be ordering from Kinugawa that if we find it doesn't fit the stock up and down pipes that CMA will be able to return it to Kinu stating just that...

I'll post up what I can find out.

Sean..
Sean82

Postby dr20t » Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 am

Great offer Sean

Lets see what happens with this.

J where did you see that its a replacement for vf38? I couldn't find any text describing it under "details" tab

Mick

dr20t

Postby Archie01 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Awesome stuff Sean! :)

dr20t
I've sent off those questions and will post back what the reply is.
It definitely does say bolt on replacement for vf38 which is what caught my attention in the first place however this is for the 19T wheel which I can't see it being different for the 20T wheel.
see this link http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinug ... oll-1.aspx
Second line next to 'Applications'

Assuming it is correct that it's definitely a bolt on replacement for my vf38, would that mean that my existing AVO dump pipe will bolt straight on?
Archie01

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific