exhaust leak/trouble starting

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

exhaust leak/trouble starting

Postby beardedbandit » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 am

I have an 04 GT wagon that I was told had an exhaust leak when I bought it (guy that did the roadworthy said he did a patch-up job over the headers and that I should have it fixed soon).
I was replacing a radiator hose the other day, had the covers etc off and noticed that when I had it running in had a bit of smoke coming out of the front-most part of the headers. Also, the exhaust is MUCH more audible and there is an obvious leak somewhere at the front of the car (my money is obviously on the headers).
But yesterday, after driving for maybe 10 mins, I went inside for maybe 30 mins, came back and the car took a lot of cranking before it got going, stall when I went to take off then needed a lot more cranking again. It did this twice more during the day (every time I went for a warm start) but drove fine once it was going.

I am presuming the exhaust leak has caused some confusion to the MAF/02 sensor or something and that is what is giving it difficulty starting, would this be right or am I completely off.

I am intending on replacing the headers regardless, what are my options, I want a power upgrade (already have a dump pipe TBE kido tune etc) but an eas changeover.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
beardedbandit

Car: Liberty GT prem pack wagon

Re: exhaust leak/trouble starting

Postby beardedbandit » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Okay now it's getting worse, most times it won't start or will run for about 5 seconds then bottom out and blue-ish smoke comes out. If I sit there turning it over then give it some revs I can get it going. And when it's going, I'm fine.
Any clues?
beardedbandit

Postby dr20t » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Sounds like your leak has caused af learning to go extremely rich due to 02 sensor thinkif there's less airflow than there actually is, and you have now reached a point of either fouled spark plugs or have rooted your o2 sensor due to running so rich

Check both (o2 first)
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby beardedbandit » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:34 pm

I think you're right. Silly of me to leave it, But I was contemplating changing them anyway...
beardedbandit

Postby norbs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Mate get the headers fixed just for the sake of elimination. Secondly, are u using stock BOV? Aftermarket ones can lose spring tension and leak :wink:
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby jslayz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 pm

norbs wrote:Mate get the headers fixed just for the sake of elimination. Secondly, are u using stock BOV? Aftermarket ones can lose spring tension and leak :wink:

ALL BOV can potentially lose spring tension.

Adjustable ones are able to be retensioned if need be.

I'm going adjustable next BOV.
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby beardedbandit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Yeah, headers was the plan from day 1. Just confirming, I need twinscroll headers (03-05?) and the fact that I have a bigger down pipe doesn't make a difference (as far as my knowledge goes, this comes off the back of the turbo).
beardedbandit

Postby norbs » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Twin scroll yes. Dump should not create any probs.
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby dr20t » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 pm

The only headers that will fit your turbo are the exact same factory ones that you have. And they're not that easy to come by (check for sale section of this forum I believe there was a set for sale recently)

No aftermarket headers or even stock headers from any other vehicle will fit (jdm bl/bp legacy headers are the same as prefacelift Australian liberty GT if that helps)

Check where the leak is. If its in the up-pipe then I have one for sale at the moment that could get you out of trouble

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby beardedbandit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 am

Thanks, I didn't know that. That sounds excellent, but I'm pretty sure the leak is near the front, the piece that protrudes when you're looking down the engine bay from the radiator side. The up pipe is the piece leading into the turbo, is that correct?
beardedbandit

Return to 2.0T engine specific