Is this normal? Oil around base of intercooler inlet elbow

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Is this normal? Oil around base of intercooler inlet elbow

Postby DMGT » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Just had a look over my car this morning after not driving it for a while. I noticed a build up of oil around the base of the intercooler inlet pipe (90 degree elbow joining the outlet of the turbo to the intercooler) and on top of the flange which joins to the turbo - see pic. There appears to be a small metal plate fixed to the rear side of the flange that looks like it might be there to prevent any oil in this area from getting onto the turbo heat shield so it might be a known issue which subaru has designed around? Has anybody had this before? Is the hose stuffed or is it normal?

Cheers,

Doug.
Attachments
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG (145.68 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
DMGT

Car: MY05 GT WAGON

Re: Is this normal? Oil around base of intercooler inlet elb

Postby zch91 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm

It's called blow-by and is completely normal for turbo subies. Only way to prevent/reduce it is to install an air-oil separator/catch can
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby senator » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 am

The intake system on all soobi engines have no preventative design features to stop or limit blow by (oil returning into the take), hence why they recommend top end cleaning with every service.

If you can see oil seeping out from the hose then I’m guess your intercooler, turbo inlet pipe and intake manifold could all do with a clean out.

Best to have catch can/oil air separator fitted to prevent this from happening further.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby Robbks » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:32 am

As above,
fit a catch can between your crankcase breather and the intake pipe.
super simple job and eliminates 99% of those issues
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby DMGT » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 am

Cool, I get it that's its normal (but less than ideal) to have oil inside the hose, but oil on the outside must mean its leaking from somewhere right? No big deal as I've got some AVO hoses to go on in a few weeks time - was just hoping it wouldn't fail catastrophically before then if there was an issue with it.

On the matter of the catch can/AOS that seems like a pretty sensible idea - particularly the AOS ( not super keen on having to regularly empty a catch can plus the possible roadworthiness issues with storing oil/vapor under the bonnet etc), I've got a dump pipe and aftermarket TMIC to go on at the same time as the hoses so will probably look to install an AOS at the same time. Has has anyone got a reasonably priced option? All I've seen is Grimmspeed for $250+, SG motorsport for about the same, and Prova for a ridiculous $400.... it's not rocket surgery...no electronics, no moving parts, very little R&D as far as I can tell, just a small milled bit of aluminium that sits on top of the oil filler tube.

Wish I owned a Hyundai Veloster (not) as there's AOS' for them on ebay for a far more reasonable $80, looks like a Grimmspeed copy.
DMGT

Car: MY05 GT WAGON

Postby Quick Jab » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 pm

I am also looking at grabbing an AOS and they do seem very expensive, as least to a novice like me, for what they are. Any tips on finding the most effective and/or best bang-for-buck product would be very much appreciated.
Quick Jab
formerly "The Horizontal Boxer"

Car: '04 GT Sedan manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23791

Return to 2.0T engine specific