OBD2 Problems with MY04 BL

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

OBD2 Problems with MY04 BL

Postby Symbiosys » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey guys,

I have searched around, but have not found any real answers. I recently purchased a MY04 Liberty GT Premium Pack (Series BL). I have installed my new Android head deck and it's running great. I had hoped that I could connect that to my OBD2 Bluetooth adapter to show gauges on screen while driving however I can't seem to get any reading from my Bluetooth adapter except for the Voltage which seems to be reading fine. This is the cheap micro-OBD2 adapter, but I have purchased the full version of Toque PRO on the Android store and it says it connects to the adapter fine and that the adapter is connected to the ECU. I have tried on my Android phone, head deack and my Nexus tablet with all the same results.

My question: Is this a problem with my adapter? Ie. Do I need to spend money on buying a better quality one and if so, can you recommend a better one?

Adapter I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190868683257

Thanks in advance for any replies.

First Subaru I've owned and I don't think I'll ever drive something else!

I've attached some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/ABzFaIU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hRX2K55.jpg
- Symbiosys
Symbiosys

Car: Liberty GT Premium Pack - MY04

Re: OBD2 Problems with MY04 BL

Postby Surge » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Maybe the seller on ebay will exchange it, it's probably faulty.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby Symbiosys » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Surge wrote:Maybe the seller on ebay will exchange it, it's probably faulty.

I don't really mind the price. Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these "Mini BT OBD2" adapters and if its just a case of "you need to buy a higher quality one" sort-of-thing.

Thanks for the quick reply though. I might just order a different one.
- Symbiosys
Symbiosys

Postby Robbks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 am

I have one of them,
it used to have issues on my samsung devices until the Android 4.2 update.
Always worked on my HTC and Nexus though.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby jaydece » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Some owners with pre face lift who ran ecu datascanners never had any issues connecting .....but when they converted to torque / torque pro they could not properly connect any longer....using bluetooth ....I'm not sure if the wireless or mini-mirco USB one would have the same outcome? maybe try that...

dont know the details but I think its something along the lines with the protocol type? or something like that....especially when running with a elm327....there are many versions out there....some work ....some dont....

some people have had luck buying the more expensive elm327 with a specific version....but not everyone has had the same luck...
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby Symbiosys » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:50 pm

jaydece wrote:Some owners with pre face lift who ran ecu datascanners never had any issues connecting .....but when they converted to torque / torque pro they could not properly connect any longer....using bluetooth ....I'm not sure if the wireless or mini-mirco USB one would have the same outcome? maybe try that...

dont know the details but I think its something along the lines with the protocol type? or something like that....especially when running with a elm327....there are many versions out there....some work ....some dont....

some people have had luck buying the more expensive elm327 with a specific version....but not everyone has had the same luck...

Thanks for that information jaydece :)
- Symbiosys
Symbiosys

Postby maj » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 am

Might look into those Android head units, especially if you can get them to use steering wheel controls since missus Impreza has em.

Without doing too much googling, anyone here with a pre-FL GT use Torque regularly and also has a Tactrix cable?
I have a Tactrix 1.3 and like using it from time to time, but also have a Nexus 7 I'd windscreen/dash mount (I have satnav so no spare cubby), so using Torque as a dash display would be handy.
Just don't want to run into any issues before I spend $30 on Torque and an ELM327. I don't know what I'd do if my tactrix stopped working.
maj

Car: MY05 LGT 5MT

Postby Symbiosys » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 am

maj wrote:Might look into those Android head units, especially if you can get them to use steering wheel controls since missus Impreza has em.

Without doing too much googling, anyone here with a pre-FL GT use Torque regularly and also has a Tactrix cable?
I have a Tactrix 1.3 and like using it from time to time, but also have a Nexus 7 I'd windscreen/dash mount (I have satnav so no spare cubby), so using Torque as a dash display would be handy.
Just don't want to run into any issues before I spend $30 on Torque and an ELM327. I don't know what I'd do if my tactrix stopped working.

You can find extremely good quality Android stereo units now. They have full steering wheel controls, brake controls, climate controls etc..

I bought mine from http://www.ugsage.com/ , they offer a 1 year warranty and the quality of the unit is excellent. I installed mine myself and it has come up an absolute treat. I would highly suggest an Android stereo unit (Double DIN) to anyone looking to upgrade. I've got a 4G dongle connected to my unit so I can stream my iTunes or Google Play music.

You can also search http://www.aliexpress.com/ for Android stereo units.
- Symbiosys
Symbiosys

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Late reply, but u just got an OBD2 reader (wifi) for my Gen 4 Legacy GTB (NZ model) and all I can read is the voltage, too. It might be a different implementation of OBD?

Same hardware and software shows a lot more info on my E91 BMW so I don't think that it's faulty.

E
Espresso_

Car: 2006 Legacy GTB

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:30 pm

I was under the impression that all 2.0GT's wont work with ELM327 OBDII adapters

Thats why there is BTSSM for logging and displaying ECU info

Maybe you could run this app off your headunit

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=27506
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:00 pm

pre-facelift legacy does not have ODBII Instrumentation.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Return to 2.0T engine specific