Identifying turbo

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Identifying turbo

Postby beardedbandit » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:51 am

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster.
Yesterday I went and (finally) picked up an 04 GT premium wagon. Fairly clean and 162000Ks on the clock. The car drives well and mechanical inspection showed that it was in good condition. I absolutely love it. Owner stated that it had a downpipe, TBE, bigger turbo and injectors (I know this last one in unnecessary) oh, and a tune which he claims put out 120KW on a hub dyno. a few of these things don't add up (namely the output) but I have had a look and the exhaust is definitely aftermarket as with the downpipe. He seems to think it was a VF34 turbo but I'm really having trouble identifying it at all, any help with how I could do this (looked at the housing but there were just a couple of serial numbers on it).
Also, when compared to my dad's lib (identical model but stock) it lags massively, it pulls very strong but only upwards of 3500RPM, I'm guessing the tune was not all that good, so I'm contemplating a Kido tune.

Any help/light shed on the topic would be greatly appreciated. I'm relatively new to the whole turbo thing.
beardedbandit

Car: Liberty GT prem pack wagon

Re: Identifying turbo

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:23 pm

VF34 will make it sound like a WRX? Does it sound like a WRX or does it still sound like a turbo 4?
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby Legacylad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 pm

kiahatsiu wrote:VF34 will make it sound like a WRX? Does it sound like a WRX or does it still sound like a turbo 4?

What he means is the 04 GT had a twin scroll turbo with equal length headers, which means the car wouldn't have the Subaru boxer rumble but would sound like any other car. If your car has a VF34 in it, it would have had a conversion done with new unequal length headers put in which would give it the boxer rumble and thus sound like a wrx.
Most turbos will have either a plate on the front of the turbo compressor housing with the type of turbo inscribed on it, or the type of turbo will be directly inscribed onto the compressor housing itself. So grab a torch and have a look at the front (silver part) of the turbo and see what you can find. It can be a bit hard to see in there with all of the other crap in the way!
The lag sounds like a tune issue, go for a KiDo, you wont be dissappinted. :D
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Postby kiahatsiu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:50 am

VF34's don't have a plate. They have dot matrix-esk writing of VF34 on the compressor housing. Quite small.
Oh, and from memory, they have RHF5H8 then the serial number written under that. On late model vf34s that will be all written under the wastegate actuator.
kiahatsiu

Postby beardedbandit » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks guys, the first thing I looked at was the compressor wheel but alas no name plate, it does have some jargon stamped on it but there is H5B7F written on it but that's all I can see. I definitely doesn't have the boxer rumble, still sounds like a liberty, I too think it's a lot to do with the tune (perhaps they were just going for numbers) but I've also noticed the fuel consumption is up a fair bit (might have something to do with the right foot). I am almost certainly going to get a Kido tune when funds permit. Thanks for your help.
beardedbandit

Postby kiahatsiu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:17 am

Where you at bearded one?
Also, VF34 internals in the td04hla turbo (the one used on manuals) is quite common this day and age. This could be what you have.
kiahatsiu

Postby beardedbandit » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 am

I'm in Melbourne so I guess I'll get a remote tune from Kido, I may go outside and whip the engine cover off for a really good look...
beardedbandit

Return to 2.0T engine specific