Car doesn't want to go @ 3000rpm

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Car doesn't want to go @ 3000rpm

Postby subarugt05 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi Guys

any ideas on this?

The other day my battery died, and i replaced it, aswell as the terminal for it, as the factory one was a bit rusty,after that when i drove and push the peddle down (not hard), and the revs hit 3000rpm, seems the car hesitates and doesn't want to go....then suddenly if u keep going, the boost will suddenly kick in, never happened before! and i'm worried!!!
if u slam the peddle down it will lag like crazy...then after 4000rpm boost will kick in...and not as strong as before...don't know whats gone wrong all of a sudden!!

any advice would be great.
subarugt05

Postby coyote » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Your ecu had learned how much advance it could run on whatever fuel you use. When the battery went flat, it lost this data and has reverted back to the base map. Drive it like you stole it for a while and it will relearn back to where it was before.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby Resonate » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Yeah, exactly as coyote said. The ecu has been reset due to the flat battery. :good:
Resonate

Car: MY07 GT-B (Diamond Grey)

Postby subarugt05 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:37 pm

you think so?? coz its been the same battery ever since i changed intercooler, boost controller, hks hybrid filter...and has felt awsome...but yeh since the battery died...that hesistation around those revs was a bit scary...it made me think some boost leak or something? but obviously not?

how sure are you guys that its ecu reset issue?
subarugt05

Postby subarugt05 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:39 pm

and also, some time ago..i had an issue where the engine check light and cruise light came on for no reason, so subaru replaced air/fuel ration sensor and upgraded the car's ecu software...but it still felt as awsome as usual...do u think due to the battery the new software subaru installed on the ecu has gone? or still remains? just back to factory settings thats all?

i feel better now that you've said that..i thought it felt like some mechanical fault...
subarugt05

Postby Arith » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Only one way to find out for yourself. Like coyote said, drive the car like you're being chased by drug dealers who you've just stolen 10kg of crystal ice from until the car returns to it's glorious self

Then disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before re-connecting it to allow the ECU to lose all it's charge and memory state. If the performance resets itself, then for sure it's the ECU losing it's current mappings and having to start over. :good:

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby subarugt05 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi!

Thanks for that.

I've driven it for about 30kms so far and it is still the same
so u reckon i should drive it hard a bit longer? how long? then d/c the battery for atleast 30 mins...then start again? then try it?
subarugt05

Postby Arith » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:31 pm

I'd probably give it at least 3 - 4 days before you start to worry.

Arith
-stickered-

Postby coyote » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 pm

Don't worry, you haven't lost whatever map Subaru flashed to your ecu (if they actually did that), you've only lost the data that the ecu learned since the flash. It's called the Ignition Advance Multiplier (IAM).

When I said drive it like you stole it, I said it for a reason. The worst thing you can do when the ecu is working out a new IAM is drive sedately. The reason is you won't access all areas of your maps and then it will be adjusting using another set of rules which only makes minor adjustments. You won't get aggressive enough advance that way.

I actually go out on the freeway and drive at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and left foot brake to maintain boost whilst keeping to the speed limit. That's more than likely what the service centre did when they swapped your AFM ... whether or not they actually flashed the ecu.

Do another reset, then do that and then post us a cheque for $500.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby subarugt05 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi!

thanks for that,
i've brought the car to subaru, they've done the diagnostics on it...couldn't find an error, checked all boost lines etc etc...and couldn't find anything wrong...

however they do know the car is boosting like normal at 3000rpm, however the car doesn't move....definetly a leak somewhere...looks like subaru cannot find it.

ai yo

:oops:
subarugt05

Postby coyote » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 pm

Did you do what we suggested?

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby subarugt05 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 pm

hi!

Yes to no success, but actually the place that upgrades the parts on my car...found a seal was loose on the intercooler...haha fixed..all good now..even subaru couldn't find it
subarugt05

Postby Arith » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 pm

Excellent! Congrats on getting the problem fixed without any further headache! :yahoo:

But what a coincidence the seal came loose at the same time as your flat battery, because it was leading everyone in the wrong direction in searching for the problem! :pardon:

Arith
-stickered-

Postby Mano™ » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:41 pm

subaru wont know anything becasue they are just serivice machanics.. if the puter aint tell em they wont know..

it's quite common for intercooler pipieng to come undone.. happend a few times with mates cars..

good to hear u got it fixed tho :)
Mano™
-stickered-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT

Postby coyote » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:07 pm

subarugt05 wrote:hi!

Yes to no success, but actually the place that upgrades the parts on my car...found a seal was loose on the intercooler...haha fixed..all good now..even subaru couldn't find it

Who was that?

** Team Tony **
coyote

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific