2004 gt wagon single scroll conversion

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

2004 gt wagon single scroll conversion

Postby Tomei » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi guys,
I know this has probably been asked a heap but has any one actually done the conversion from vf38 to vf34 single scroll turbo? I looked up a few but I can't seem to find a comprehensive answer on what I would need to do it. Heard that I just need turbo up pipe and dump pipe where others say tmic and a few other bits. I'm really looking for some one that can 100% tell me what I need so I can decide what to do. Eastern turbo told me $2200 to rebuild the turbo but I'd rather spend that on getting a turbo that's more reliable as this one was only rebuilt 8 or so months ago.

Thanks for any help guys
Tomei

Car: 04 gt wagon

Re: 2004 gt wagon single scroll conversion

Postby PSISUBI » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Tomei wrote:Hi guys,
I know this has probably been asked a heap but has any one actually done the conversion from vf38 to vf34 single scroll turbo? I looked up a few but I can't seem to find a comprehensive answer on what I would need to do it. Heard that I just need turbo up pipe and dump pipe where others say tmic and a few other bits. I'm really looking for some one that can 100% tell me what I need so I can decide what to do. Eastern turbo told me $2200 to rebuild the turbo but I'd rather spend that on getting a turbo that's more reliable as this one was only rebuilt 8 or so months ago.

Thanks for any help guys

Yes you will need uppipe & headers from a post FL GT, and I would go a VF52 or a Kinugawa rather than the VF34.... would also make sure you have a 3" TBE and then get a tune as well.
PSISUBI

Car: 06 Liberty TBSTI

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:19 pm

The VF34 can be converted to fit into the twin scroll exhaust housing. I know a few guys who have done it.

I can put you in contact with a guy in Brisbane who can organise it for you if your interested
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby dr20t » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:04 pm

psi subi is on the money, however I wouldn't go vf52 as it will be laggier than the vf34 and not make as much power

The vf34 is a great turbo

I helped Khalood92 on here decide on this setup although he also did front mount and silicon intake pipe at the same time

You will definitely need a retune

My thinking is the 2200 it will cost you to fix the stock turbo will pretty much cover you for a second hand vf34, single scroll headers, second hand injectors (pm kiahatsu he has a set to suit preface GT which are somewhat unique to these specific models and don't come up very often), fuel pump and retune

Khalood made 224kw atw I believe on 98 Ron fuel once retuned

You could also ring rising sun Subaru and grab a twin scroll turbo from a jdm v8-10 wrx Sti, with twin scroll headers and Sti TMIC. I would imagine these would be around 1500-2000. Keep in mind that the Sti twin scroll headers are different to the liberty twin scroll headers.

Infact pretty much everything on the preface GT is unique to the liberty / jdm legacy. Injectors, TMIC, headers, turbo etc

So if you change one, you need to change the other.

To sum up, either

1. vf34 / vf52 / vf46 with single scroll headers, Sti TMIC with custom silicon joiner to the liberty manifold / fmic / facelift liberty TMIC . If you do this, I would suggest injector and fuel pump upgrade and retune too.

2. Twin scroll turbo / headers from version 8 onwards jdm Sti (vf37/36/42/49/55/56), with corresponding TMIC and custom silicon hose to your stock inlet manifold or fmic kit

3. Rebuild your turbo with vf34 internals

Good luck

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Tomei » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 am

Wow thanks guys,
That's exactly what I was after:)
I'm not too concerned by power as I have had fast cars and lost my licence (I'm told I have a heavy right foot)
So when I got this car it was to try a curve my driving by getting something auto and not too fast. That being said I would like the option of performance later on so(and I could be wrong)would putting the vf34 internals in the existing turbo be a good option given my situation? Is there any draw backs to going that way? It just sounds like it will be fairly easy remove turbo get it done and bolt it back on no stuffing around. Would I need a tune after doing it?

Also i saw a post on here where some one recommended going to a Kinugawa turbo. I see this brand on fleebay as a direct replacement for the existing turbo for only $900ish dollars?
Sounds too good to be true so it probably is...

Thanks again guys you have made this a lot less stressful!
Tomei

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:31 am

Tomei wrote:Wow thanks guys,
That's exactly what I was after:)
I'm not too concerned by power as I have had fast cars and lost my licence (I'm told I have a heavy right foot)
So when I got this car it was to try a curve my driving by getting something auto and not too fast. That being said I would like the option of performance later on so(and I could be wrong)would putting the vf34 internals in the existing turbo be a good option given my situation? Is there any draw backs to going that way? It just sounds like it will be fairly easy remove turbo get it done and bolt it back on no stuffing around. Would I need a tune after doing it?

Also i saw a post on here where some one recommended going to a Kinugawa turbo. I see this brand on fleebay as a direct replacement for the existing turbo for only $900ish dollars?
Sounds too good to be true so it probably is...

Thanks again guys you have made this a lot less stressful!

VF34 twin scroll has some massive low rpm torque and comes on boost super fast while producing a smooth power delivery

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Tomei » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

That sound like a good upgrade to me then! I started to pull apart the car to get the turbo but I'm fearing that I don't have the patience needed for the job any more so I'm thinking it might just be better to pay up. Can you guys recommend some one in eastern melbourne to do the job. I'm thinking the 34 internals into my turbo. Drop it off, pay the bill and pick it up.
Tomei

Postby dr20t » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Turbo change is a 3 hour job at worst. Biggest bitch is refitting the return oil hose to sump back on when installing turbo.

I would go with this route too for least headache

dr20t

Postby ferret89 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Out of curiousity what would be the approximate kw atw difference between stock vf38 and a rebuilt vf38 with vf34 internals? I think I've decided the same thing, when mine goes to get it rebuilt with vf34 internals
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Tomei wrote:That sound like a good upgrade to me then! I started to pull apart the car to get the turbo but I'm fearing that I don't have the patience needed for the job any more so I'm thinking it might just be better to pay up. Can you guys recommend some one in eastern melbourne to do the job. I'm thinking the 34 internals into my turbo. Drop it off, pay the bill and pick it up.

Road Track Rally in Dandenong could do turbo swap

KiDo_Tuning

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:45 pm

ferret89 wrote:Out of curiousity what would be the approximate kw atw difference between stock vf38 and a rebuilt vf38 with vf34 internals? I think I've decided the same thing, when mine goes to get it rebuilt with vf34 internals

191kw on 16psi easily but best we had was 220 on 17psi with 10.88 AFR's

KiDo_Tuning

Postby PSISUBI » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm

dr20t wrote:psi subi is on the money, however I wouldn't go vf52 as it will be laggier than the vf34 and not make as much power

The vf34 is a great turbo

I helped Khalood92 on here decide on this setup although he also did front mount and silicon intake pipe at the same time

You will definitely need a retune

My thinking is the 2200 it will cost you to fix the stock turbo will pretty much cover you for a second hand vf34, single scroll headers, second hand injectors (pm kiahatsu he has a set to suit preface GT which are somewhat unique to these specific models and don't come up very often), fuel pump and retune

Khalood made 224kw atw I believe on 98 Ron fuel once retuned

You could also ring rising sun Subaru and grab a twin scroll turbo from a jdm v8-10 wrx Sti, with twin scroll headers and Sti TMIC. I would imagine these would be around 1500-2000. Keep in mind that the Sti twin scroll headers are different to the liberty twin scroll headers.

Infact pretty much everything on the preface GT is unique to the liberty / jdm legacy. Injectors, TMIC, headers, turbo etc

So if you change one, you need to change the other.

To sum up, either

1. vf34 / vf52 / vf46 with single scroll headers, Sti TMIC with custom silicon joiner to the liberty manifold / fmic / facelift liberty TMIC . If you do this, I would suggest injector and fuel pump upgrade and retune too.

2. Twin scroll turbo / headers from version 8 onwards jdm Sti (vf37/36/42/49/55/56), with corresponding TMIC and custom silicon hose to your stock inlet manifold or fmic kit

3. Rebuild your turbo with vf34 internals

Good luck

Mick

Could also look at another aftermarket TMIC, eg Hyperflow, AVO, Process West etc.... if you want the power to come on early then the VF34 is the way to go, but if you dont mind a bit of lag and want more top end then the VF52 would be the way to go, that's the way I am probably going to go once I have the $$.
PSISUBI

Postby dr20t » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Vf34 is a much better turbo than vf52.

The evidence for this is the fact that Subaru put the vf34 on their top of the range Subaru - the jdm Sti spec c v7.

dr20t

Postby PSISUBI » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:19 pm

dr20t wrote:Vf34 is a much better turbo than vf52.

The evidence for this is the fact that Subaru put the vf34 on their top of the range Subaru - the jdm Sti spec c v7.

I stand corrected.... and now completely confused as I was gonna go the VF52 for the better power output, or still considering the Garrett option too.
PSISUBI

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 pm

VF53 or VF56 which are proper JDM Twin scrolls outflow the VF34 with superior bottom end as well

KiDo_Tuning

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific