Turbo shat something

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Turbo shat something

Postby Tomei » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 am

Hi guys,
As the title says my turbo shat something, was driving along and gave it half throttle a little hesitation and a little pop then sounded like the bearings had dropped or spun. Will still spool up but it sounds like there is a little man in there rattling a coke can. Basically just wanting an idea of who is good in Melbourne to take the car to. Or I just some one to fix the turbo if I remove it. I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne

Thanks guys
Tomei

Car: 04 gt wagon

Re: Turbo shat something

Postby dr20t » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Hate to break it to you but this is not going to be a cheap fix

Turbo is gone. You basically have three options.

1. Find a second hand vf38 / td04hla twin scroll turbo, which are as rare as gold lined hens teeth. I think jslayz on this forum has one for sale for absolute dirt cheap - I wouldn't hesitate if he does still have it as its a bargain. For reference, Subaru Australia want $5500 for this turbo with a three week wait, and g88 can source one for alot cheaper brand new but still expensive.

2. Rebuild the turbo with vf 34 internals - budget 2.5-3k including labour and new gaskets etc to do this.

3. Change to a single scroll turbo such as td04, vf46, vf34 etc, with a single scroll exhaust manifold unequal length from a wrx, forester, facelift (07-09) liberty GT. About 400-800 depending what you want here, and another 500 or so for labour.

Good luck mate

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:58 pm

VF38s are even hard to get secondhand over here in Japan and TDO4HLAs are getting scarce as all the VF guys are changing over when theirs shit themselves.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Tomei » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for the reply guys,
I did think that it might be the case, the turbo was rebuilt by eastern turbos about 9 months ago so I'm shattered that
It's happened. I rang them and they said about 2.5k to repair. I think ill be looking at a second hand item or going to the
Single scroll item if I only have to change the down pipe to suit. Cars only worth 10k so how far do you go. Ill look up the member mentioned to see if he still has it

Thanks again guys I appreciate your help
Tomei

Turbo shat something

Postby ndlibgt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Hit up Kip at ATP turbo he does change over vf38's for $1700 or he can build one with vf34 internals for a few hundred more. Add labour cost of course.
ndlibgt

Car: 04 GT

Postby Tomei » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:02 pm

OK guys so the turbo is off only to find no issues with the oil feed pipe, screen or banjo bolt and its bearing bush has crapped!
Naturally I rang Eastern turbos to see what they had to say about their 8 month 9000km old turbo and all Ken would tell me is that there is no point in bringing it in to him to look at because over the phone he knew (so he tells me) an oil feed problem.

I'm guessing the Subaru specialty mechanic has seen a few and he said normally they have been over heated but mine had only shat out the bush bearing thing.

Needless to say I will not be returning to Eastern turbochargers or ETS ever again in my life time!
Prices for rebuild
eastern turbocharges $3890
quotes from else where
$1650
$1250
All three quotes with for a complete new core, apples for apples

Could at least humor me and take a 5 minute look and then tell me that it was an oil problem, and with prices like his I'm really at a loss to understand how the bloke is still in business. One time customers perhaps???
Tomei

Postby pranayshrestha » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 am

I've had problems along similar lines.

May 2012: Purchased a pearl white 2004 Lib GT auto with 3 year extended warranty from Garry and Warren Smith, Chadstone.
June 2012: Turbo blew (loud pop sound and mechanical cluttering afterwards, engine dead, tried to start it alot of times, didn't know what I was doing) while going uphill mount dandenong on a windy, rainy day. Got it towed to dealership, faced accusation of "off-roading" and hence they refused to fix it under statutory warranty. A lot of phone calls and complains later, they agreed to fix it. Engine reconditioning, replaced timing belt, 1*rod, linished crankshaft, coated pistons, replaced oil pump and bearings. Turbo rebuilt. Entire process took a little over 3 months!
July 2013: Fitted a dump pipe with catcon from CES racing, mid section from Ultrex and left mufflers stock.
September 2013: Fitted GFB BOV, Pierburg 3 port, Matt's tune.

18 October 2013 Coming back from Dandenong lateish, Auto box downshifted at 3/4 throttle on an uphill, metal on spinning metal sound followed by a loud pop. Boost loss immediately, engine died a few seconds later, and I was able to pull up at a bus stop. Didn't even try starting it.

Car has been towed home. Won't bother calling G&W because of previous experience. Fearing the worst and hoping Steve "Sharpie"@Altona would have a look.
pranayshrestha

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty GT

Postby dr20t » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:37 am

Did they change the banjo bolt filter when they did the reco?

dr20t

Postby rooby » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:46 am

pranayshrestha wrote:May 2012: Purchased a pearl white 2004 Lib GT auto with 3 year extended warranty from Garry and Warren Smith, Chadstone.
Car has been towed home. Won't bother calling G&W because of previous experience. Fearing the worst and hoping Steve "Sharpie"@Altona would have a look.

Technically with the mods you have done you warranty with G&W is likely void anyway.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby pranayshrestha » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:32 am

rooby wrote:
Technically with the mods you have done you warranty with G&W is likely void anyway.

True. I just wanted to know where they rebuilt the turbo from. A year ago, I was naive or completely clueless about Subarus, therefore, just wanted the car fixed ASAP. Having said that, I still have lots to learn. That is why I am unable to even closely pinpoint the issue. But this time, I want to get it done right. Its too early to speculate, but a rebuilt turbo shouldn't blow this soon considering all supporting mods were done competently.

dr20t wrote:Did they change the banjo bolt filter when they did the reco?

They didn't mention it, leading me to believe they didn't. I was told they caused more problems than helped, so I had them removed by the mechanic while the dump pipe was fitted.
pranayshrestha

Postby dr20t » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Make sure he did both sides intake and exhaust. These are dual avcs. It's not one of those things you want to have an "oh shit I forgot" moment with

dr20t

Postby pranayshrestha » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:12 pm

dr20t wrote:Make sure he did both sides intake and exhaust. These are dual avcs. It's not one of those things you want to have an "oh shit I forgot" moment with

I'll find out if he did both. Regardless, I will make sure they are taken care of wherever I take it for repair.
pranayshrestha

Return to 2.0T engine specific