2004 Liberty GT - Upgrade Options

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

2004 Liberty GT - Upgrade Options

Postby menace » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 2004 Liberty GT Premium and I am looking at doing some performance upgrades on a modest budget of about 3K - 4K. I'm a novice when it comes to turbo vehicles and would like to accumulate as much information as possible before i start making any mods.

Basically I'm looking to increase power, throttle response and I'd like to hear the Turbo spool up, all without spending cash unnecessarily or doing damage to the car.

From the research i been doing it looks like the way for me to go is:

1. Turbo back exhaust
2. Cold Air Intake (seen a covert pod kit available for the Liberty GT)
3. A Bigger Aftermarket Top Mount Intercooler (this option is a maybe, seems there are many kits available to choose from)
4. Flash Tune after I have fitted the above mods

Just wondering what you guys think would be the best way to go to get "Bang for your Buck".

I'm not quite sure about the bigger cooler - wondering what kind of gains i can expect with it? Would i get more significant gains from a bigger cooler or a sports exhaust?

What would you guys recommend? Are there any specific brands or products out there to consider? Any particular performance workshops/mechanics i should look into (Located in the Sydney area)?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks.
menace

Car: MY04 GT PREMIUM

Re: 2004 Liberty GT - Upgrade Options

Postby zch91 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Welcome to the forum mate.

TBE and tune would be first on your list to get things really happening, in regards to bang for buck. IIRC you'll need to spend minimum approx $1-1.5k+ for the TBE, depending on if you can find one s/h and what brand you go with. The dump is the most expensive part.

If you want to hear your turbo spooling up, try removing your resonator and installing a high flow filter. I have done this and find the results to be quite good (and cheap).

From what I've read, not from experience, new TMIC and CAI will not yield you as good of result, bang for buck wise. Some would argue that it's unnecessary all together until you're chasing bigger numbers, ie bigger turbo, etc etc.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby menace » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Cheers for the quick response..

With the TBE i've found there isn't any pre manufactured full exhaust systems available. All I'm finding is CAT back systems... thinking i need to get a cat back system and have the rest made to fit.
I've got a couple quotes.. some have been ridiculous @ 2.5K for a full stainless system.
I reckon i can get it fitted for under $1500 with stainless, that includes the Xforce cat back & custom piping from the turbo back. Still chasing value for money with the big differences i been getting in pricing from place to place.
menace

Postby zch91 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Yup as I said, the dump is the hardest bit.

Basically you've got the Dump pipe (turbo to midpipe) then you've got the mid pipe (which normally includes the Y pipe) then you've just got the mufflers. Some exhausts are 2 piece for the mid pipe (so a straight pipe then the Y bolts on)

I know Michael @ Garage88 has made Pre-fl (twinscroll) dumps in the past, cost around $900-$1k from memory. Then the catback is easy as there's a number of places that sell them pre-fab. Just be aware that the Auto and Man dumps are different (auto requires more clearance due to the physically bigger gearbox)
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby jslayz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 am

If you have an Auto GT, do a dump pipe, remove the resonator, replace with K&N or sumsuch and do a tune.
Factory intercooler is not a huge restriction at VF38 power levels.

Save money for 2nd round of upgrades, cat back, PW TMIC(or FMIC) and single scroll up pipe and turbo upgrade then retune.

Well that's my suggestion anyway.

Good luck

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby menace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

I read somewhere that Lukey filters are better than the K &N for the liberty as they don't use any oils, apparently the oils can mess up the air flow meter over time and effect performance.

So you think fitting a pod kit won't be of much benefit? What benefits will removing the resonator give me?
menace

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:39 pm

On the handling front, if you are still running the stock set up, then consider getting some get some stiffer front and rear sway bars. This will improve your handling a lot. Also don't forget to check your front lower control arm bushes since the factory ones, if still there, will be shot by now.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby menace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 pm

The bushes were replaced just before i purchased the car, so on that side of things they are ok i guess.
menace

Postby JMlegacy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Having owned an auto GT this is my recommendation to you

Decat your downpipe and get a tune.
JDM LGT 2.0 Gutted
JMlegacy

Car: Legacy GT 2004

Return to 2.0T engine specific