Blown VF38, little help?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Blown VF38, little help?

Postby keilos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Hey Guys,

New to the forums, I've done a little reading but nothing seems to give me the exact answer that I'm looking for.

I have a MY05 (04') Lib GT auto, the VF38 has just packed it in. I'm having rather large issues finding a cost viable replacement for it so I'm starting to look at updgrade options. I've just noticed an AVO400s for sale with headers & up-pipe, would anybody be able to shine some light on exactly what else is required for the turbo to fit? I'm assuming a new dump pipe & TMIC?

Many thanks!
keilos

Car: 2004 Liberty GT

Re: Blown VF38, little help?

Postby Hotwire » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Get the VF38 rebuilt. Should be able to have it done for $1000.

Adelaide Turbo Services said that the VF38 cartridge has become available in the last 6 months as new items, and no longer do you need to modify to fit VF34 cartridge (Which brings cost up to $2100).

Where are you located?
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby 04GTLIB » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm

keilos wrote:Hey Guys,

New to the forums, I've done a little reading but nothing seems to give me the exact answer that I'm looking for.

I have a MY05 (04') Lib GT auto, the VF38 has just packed it in. I'm having rather large issues finding a cost viable replacement for it so I'm starting to look at updgrade options. I've just noticed an AVO400s for sale with headers & up-pipe, would anybody be able to shine some light on exactly what else is required for the turbo to fit? I'm assuming a new dump pipe & TMIC?

Many thanks!

Try this Justyn...........

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rebuilt-Turb ... 43b9c0e6f3

Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby keilos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Lee - Located in Victoria, thanks for the help.

Rusty - Thanks for the link. Would you know, does it require any further balancing? Or can I just put it straight in and go for gold?

Thanks again!
keilos

Postby 04GTLIB » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 pm

keilos wrote:Lee - Located in Victoria, thanks for the help.

Rusty - Thanks for the link. Would you know, does it require any further balancing? Or can I just put it straight in and go for gold?

Thanks again!

The cartridge comes pre-run and balanced, so I'm sure it would just require assembly.

Best to check with the seller though.

Cheers.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby keilos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Yes, I noticed that on the ad too, pre-run & balanced.

Thanks again for the assistance, really appreciated!
keilos

Postby cruisn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 pm

These turbo's HATE not having regular oil changes. Even the specified log book ones are a tad long.

Mine gets changed and flushed every 6 months = 3000kms.

Here's one I changed for someone that had failed to service their GT for sometime...... and the delivery km's only one I got from Japan for them for $1200.

http://vimeo.com/28290918
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Return to 2.0T engine specific