Timing Belt Snapped!!!

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Re: Timing Belt Snapped!!!

Postby BUDDAH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 am

NDARYD wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

I will be getting the car towed back to my mechanic today but he doesn't return from holiday until next week I believe.

I rang Subaru and they told me it will cost $2000 to simply remove/inspect the motor to see what internal damage has been caused by the faulty timing belt and then they can quote me on the repairs required :x

That's fair enough answer from the Subaru Service I would have told you to piss off back to where you got it done. So you get a backyard mechanic to do a cheap job then expect Subaru to fix up someone else s stuff up :roll:

BTW belts do JUST break
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Adrian2627 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 am

flySTi wrote:yeah true that, if your tech is confident enough to pursue the claim there is a good chance he will get the job of rebuilding the motor. All expenses paid. My fiends R33 snapped a belt and destroyed itself 3 months after being replaced at Nissan. They allowed the shop that it was towed to to rebuild the motor and then accepted the bill.

That's probably because they don't have experience/tooling for imported Rs. As the R33 and R34 weren't sold in Aus they probably thought it better to take the hit and let someone who deals with Rs sort it out.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Adrian2627 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am

kiahatsiu wrote:If it makes anyone feel better, I am the guy who had the tensioner bolt over tightened. I got no help from anyone and had to pay it all my self. Had some of our engineers look at the bolt, could tell what had happened to it and everything, the mechanic still had no case to answer. Cost me just under 6 k for two heads and 16v as I was overseas at the time, otherwise would have had it towed to A&M.

That sucks. It's times like that that you do need to jump up and down. It's getting really bad these days, bad service begets bad customers and vise-versa. People seem to have forgotten how to talk to each other and settle disputes like normal people and many business won't take responsibility for what they do.

If you'd towed it to A&M then it would probable have come back with a Spitfire engine in it or something.
Adrian2627

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 am

NDARYD wrote:I rang Subaru and they told me it will cost $2000 to simply remove/inspect the motor to see what internal damage has been caused by the faulty timing belt and then they can quote me on the repairs required :x

Do they include a free bottle of Vaseline for that price so it doesnt hurt as much?
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
NDARYD wrote:I rang Subaru and they told me it will cost $2000 to simply remove/inspect the motor to see what internal damage has been caused by the faulty timing belt and then they can quote me on the repairs required :x

Do they include a free bottle of Vaseline for that price so it doesnt hurt as much?

Only with STi. A standard vehicle it's a $50 option
Adrian2627

Postby dr20t » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm

BUDDAH wrote:
NDARYD wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

I will be getting the car towed back to my mechanic today but he doesn't return from holiday until next week I believe.

I rang Subaru and they told me it will cost $2000 to simply remove/inspect the motor to see what internal damage has been caused by the faulty timing belt and then they can quote me on the repairs required :x

That's fair enough answer from the Subaru Service I would have told you to piss off back to where you got it done. So you get a backyard mechanic to do a cheap job then expect Subaru to fix up someone else s stuff up :roll:

BTW belts do JUST break

Were you born a flogger or is it a learned trait, may I ask?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby 04GTLIB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:40 pm

dr20t wrote:Were you born a flogger or is it a learned trait, may I ask?

He was dropped on his head as a child Mick and he's never really recovered. :D
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby BUDDAH » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Im a realist not a BOY dreamer :wink:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby dle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 pm

if you've got receipts that prove that it was done 20-30,000kms ago, another avenue is lodging a claim with your insurance (provided that you have comprehensive cover) and it will fall under 'faulty workmanship'. suppose if they have reason to believe that you've got a claim, your insurer will fork out the bill to at least get it inspected.

wouldn't bother with this route if there's no paper trail though.
dle

Car: MY05 Lib GT

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 am

dle wrote:if you've got receipts that prove that it was done 20-30,000kms ago, another avenue is lodging a claim with your insurance (provided that you have comprehensive cover) and it will fall under 'faulty workmanship'. suppose if they have reason to believe that you've got a claim, your insurer will fork out the bill to at least get it inspected.

Nope. Tried this.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby dle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 am

kiahatsiu wrote:
dle wrote:if you've got receipts that prove that it was done 20-30,000kms ago, another avenue is lodging a claim with your insurance (provided that you have comprehensive cover) and it will fall under 'faulty workmanship'. suppose if they have reason to believe that you've got a claim, your insurer will fork out the bill to at least get it inspected.

Nope. Tried this.

Suppose if you obtain your own mechanical report that suggests poor workmanship or faulty part, you could have a claim against the responsible party through small claims. Not sure how much it'll cost you to go through with it though lol

anyway good luck to OP with problem, hope it gets fixed asap
dle

Car: MY05 Lib GT

Postby NDARYD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks guys.

I do have receipts for the work as it was done at a local licensed mechanical workshop.

I am having the car inspected this week by my friend (a licensed mobile mechanic) and will also be taking it to another mechanical workshop just to have it checked to see whether or not they can fault it and confirm if it was workmanship or the product itself. After that, I will take it back to the original mechanic to see what they say and atleast if there's any disputed, I will have two other statements from licensed mechanics incase I do need to take it further such as Fair Trading.

Will keep you guys posted with the outcome.
NDARYD

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty GT Premium

Postby Pyramidrocker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Mate!
What was the outcome of this???
My belt went today and I'm shitting that my engine is ruined from reading these posts!
Please reply ASAP!
2005 GT Liberty Wagaon, King Springs, 20'' K-Speed Biaggi's.
Pyramidrocker

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby dr20t » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Pyramidrocker wrote:Mate!
What was the outcome of this???
My belt went today and I'm shitting that my engine is ruined from reading these posts!
Please reply ASAP!

You can pretty much guarantee that if your timing belt snapped your motor is toast, unfortunately
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Pyramidrocker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:48 pm

So how is it repaired?
How much?
FUCK
2005 GT Liberty Wagaon, King Springs, 20'' K-Speed Biaggi's.
Pyramidrocker

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to 2.0T engine specific