Timing Belt Snapped!!!

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Re: Timing Belt Snapped!!!

Postby jaydece » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Pyramidrocker wrote:So how is it repaired?
How much?
FUCK

sky is the limit....until you know what damaged has been done?

reco engine would be a option ....unless it is determined that the current one will be saved? but I wouldn't go down that path personally...
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby Pyramidrocker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:47 pm

I don't know much about it but can't ya just put new valves in?
2005 GT Liberty Wagaon, King Springs, 20'' K-Speed Biaggi's.
Pyramidrocker

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby jaydece » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Pyramidrocker wrote:I don't know much about it but can't ya just put new valves in?

If so? its engine, heads apart still....not cheap job...and good luck if its just valves...sorry to bear bad news...If your belt snapped? and tore to bits and wrapped around the oil pump? idler? water pump? AVCS? I dont think it will be just valves..

You''ll need a new timing belt kit with its related accessories....again not simple and cheap...
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Buy a 2L GRB short block. Spend money getting it fitted. Done
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Pyramidrocker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 pm

The NRMA guy pulled part of the cover off and he said the belt is still turning but he thought it was the timing belt still.
I was about to pull into my drive the car was almost idling then it stopped, I thought I had stalled it, it wouldn't start and the power steering went heavy. Still getting power but wouldn't kick over.
Pyramidrocker

Postby BUDDAH » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 am

Pyramidrocker wrote:I don't know much about it but can't ya just put new valves in?

PMSL :lol:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Pyramidrocker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 am

^^^ thanks for the advice buddy! I'm a glazier not a mechanic.

Anyway, had time today to pull the cover off, belt is still on and tight but the teeth on the belt in some parts are non existent and the green marks on the pulleys (which I assume are to line it up) don't match.
Anyone got any constructive advice?
Pyramidrocker

Postby dr20t » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 am

Pyramidrocker wrote:^^^ thanks for the advice buddy! I'm a glazier not a mechanic.

Anyway, had time today to pull the cover off, belt is still on and tight but the teeth on the belt in some parts are non existent and the green marks on the pulleys (which I assume are to line it up) don't match.
Anyone got any constructive advice?

Ignore him mate he will never have anything constructive to say...

Seems like the belt has skipped a couple of teeth and then munched the teeth

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will probably face the same fate, as skipped timing belt usually will damage valves and then pistons (especially with the smaller combustion chamber of the prefacelift ej20y motor)

I would budget for a replacement second hand motor. Your best option would be what Matt suggested, a JDM GRB wrx Sti long block (contact Kris from rising sun Subaru for a price).

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Pyramidrocker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for the info lads, much appreciated.
I guess I'll get the diagnosis tomorrow.
Cheers
Pyramidrocker

Postby Pyramidrocker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Back on the road!

Put a new belt-kit in and everything is fine.
Few.....
Fark me! what a worry!
Pyramidrocker

Postby Shaheenis » Thu May 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Just digging up an old thread because I stumbled upon it as I am about to have the timing belt replaced as part of service.

A couple of questions here for future reference I hopefully won't need but may help others.

1) How many of you have had the motor stripped and confirmed damage just out of interest?

Depending on how the belt snaps, valves may not be damaged. If the belt does not get caught in the cam gears the cams should actually spin off the valve springs (assuming valves are open) which removes them from danger of piston contact and the springs are too strong to let them push the valves back out without assistance from the crank which at this point is disconnected now the belt has snapped. Obviously if the belt is jammed holding one of the cams with valves open you could have an issue. I haven't seen the inside of the 2.5 with valves open but don't expect it is that much different from an EJ20. On my old EJ20s the valves don't open that much so you would have to be really unlucky to damage them. Sounds like Pyramid Rocker escaped ok..

2) Matt (Kido) these 2ltr motors you speak of (the 2009 Spec C ones), do you just retune the ECU for the 2ltr motor, wiring looms etc stay the same?
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Fri May 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Just digging up an old thread because I stumbled upon it as I am about to have the timing belt replaced as part of service.

A couple of questions here for future reference I hopefully won't need but may help others.

1) How many of you have had the motor stripped and confirmed damage just out of interest?

Depending on how the belt snaps, valves may not be damaged. If the belt does not get caught in the cam gears the cams should actually spin off the valve springs (assuming valves are open) which removes them from danger of piston contact and the springs are too strong to let them push the valves back out without assistance from the crank which at this point is disconnected now the belt has snapped. Obviously if the belt is jammed holding one of the cams with valves open you could have an issue. I haven't seen the inside of the 2.5 with valves open but don't expect it is that much different from an EJ20. On my old EJ20s the valves don't open that much so you would have to be really unlucky to damage them. Sounds like Pyramid Rocker escaped ok..

2) Matt (Kido) these 2ltr motors you speak of (the 2009 Spec C ones), do you just retune the ECU for the 2ltr motor, wiring looms etc stay the same?

1) Snapped belt means the pistons and valves are no longer rotating at the same speed, so it the valves are open at any point and the piston comes up to TDC, bye bye valves. Thats the problem with interference engines :(

2) Yes for the 03-06 LGT 2L motors. Dual AVCS engine for both, so easy swap/parts etc

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Shaheenis » Fri May 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Hey I like the new avatar ;). I understand how a timing belt works but the point I was trying to make was that valves don't just sit open when they aren't held in position by the tension of the timing belt against the crank. When the belt snaps the valves can't open if they are not already open at that very point in time and as soon as the tension of the belt is removed they would spin straight off the cam lobes assisted by the pressure of the springs to a closed position out of harms way. I have changed a few timing belts on EJ20s and played with the heads off the engine and it is very hard to balance the camshaft in a valve open position (assume no belt) and when you past the peak of the cam lobe the springs have that much force they will spin that cam straight out of your grip no matter how strong you are and back to a closed position. I was just putting it out there that people should not assume their engines are stuffed if this happens (although best to prepare for the worst). A compression and leak down test would be adequate to determine any material damage.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby WIDELOAD » Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 am

Inertia has a lot to do with it too Tim. I understand what you're saying about the valve springs forcing the cams back to a neutral point, but that's by hand.
Cams turn at twice crank speed (or something like that). Even if you remove 'drive' from them (i.e. Timing belt snaps) inertia makes them want to keep spinning until they've spent their stored energy.

If the belt snapped at idle you MIGHT be OK, and get away with no, or little damage. But if you're driving, or have any sort of RPM on board. Pistons will kiss valves 99.999% of the time.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat May 09, 2015 9:07 am

As above. 3000rpm is 50 crank revolutions per second

Cams turn at half crank speed though(cam sprocket has twice the teeth of crank) so 25 revolutions per second Vs 50 and even a mild change in speed relationship quickly bends valves

KiDo_Tuning

PreviousNext

Return to 2.0T engine specific