2.0GT spec.B dyno results - including 'ECO' mode

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

2.0GT spec.B dyno results - including 'ECO' mode

Postby Graphite » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:09 am

I thought this might be interesting for some of you guys with the JDM 2.0GTs...

My car (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15398) has a MillTek full exhaust system including sports cat and quad tailpipes, a high flow panel filter and an ECUTek map.

I have been to a dyno day in January and got peak power at 244 bhp (flywheel) compared with 280 manufacturers quoted. Assuming something was amiss - I read reports of the wastegate actuator springs on these turbos commonly being weak and so have just replaced the actuator with another 0.8 bar new part. The new one took 10 psi (measured just with foot pump for quick comparison ;) ) to start moving, the old one took just 6 psi! :shock:

Some interesting stuff from the dyno day yesterday - The first run was done on ECO mode - you can see it is significantly different It seems to limit boost to 0.65 bar - although the final max power at 294.2 bhp (flywheel) isn't too bad for 'ECO' mode :lol:

After a couple of runs to establish baseline performance Andrew Carr, a local expert Subaru mapper ( http://www.teamcarr.net ), had a look at the maps and thoughtfully made a few tweaks that just pushed me over the 300 bhp (flywheel) threshold :mrgreen: He has not altered any boost settings yet...

John Clarkson Autos also record a lot of other data which they are happy to give a printout from as well...

Wheel Power and Injector Duty Cycle...

AFR and Boost (bar)...

So... some interesting stuff for us twin scrollers to get our heads around... and maybe a little opportunity for squeezing a little more out with the current setup. Andrew said the neutral indicator was playing up a bit which would affect the map and also that my wastegate actuator could probably do with a touch more pre-load to see if it will hold the boost at 1 bar since it tails away at 6000 rpm. He also now has a bit more in the way of technical observations which he has promised to pop on our home forum and share with us.
Last edited by Graphite on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
2.0 GT spec.B BP5 with a few mods...
... And now I will show you the most excellent way... 1 Corinthians 12 v 31.......
Graphite

Car: Legacy (Liberty) 2.0GT spec.B JDM 04

Re: 2.0GT spec.B dyno results - including 'ECO' mode

Postby Graphite » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 am

Here's a link to a bit of video on the dyno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwctypti ... ure=colike

and some pics...

... And now I will show you the most excellent way... 1 Corinthians 12 v 31.......
Graphite

Postby JMlegacy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Your power is awesome and everything but i LOVEEEE your license plate :D

What fuel was this running on?
JDM LGT 2.0 Gutted
JMlegacy

Car: Legacy GT 2004

Postby Graphite » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 am

JMlegacy wrote:Your power is awesome and everything but i LOVEEEE your license plate :D

What fuel was this running on?

:lol: Thanks bud 8)

Most turbo Subaru owners in the UK use Shell V-Power 99RON this is oviously inferior to the stuff the Japs run their Nissan Micras on - but it's the best we get LOL :D Tesco also do a 99RON petrol - I have never used that though...

My car has been mapped to optimise for using Shell V Power.

Just a reminder though - we quote mostly bhp at the flywheel in the UK - you can see from the wheel hp graph my peak whp is about 230 at 6000 rpm

The mappers observations from my dyno session...

The plan for Friday was really to give the car a power run with the new actuator fitted as Mick had missed his slot on the LADS RR day the Saturday before, whilst there we were also going to try a couple of little tweaks to see how the car responded, it was never intended to be a full on mapping session as I was actually having a day off

A couple of observations:

1. Fuelling was predictably rich, around 10:1, leaning this out to roughly 11:1 gained us 8-10bhp, could go leaner but I suspect we would see diminishing returns.

2. Ignition timing on these cars is strange to say the least, having noted that airflow was increasing but power was levelling off quite early I decided to see what a smoother and more 'traditional' timing map would have, sure enough another 10bhp. At the same time I took a bit of timing out in the midrange/spoolup area as the engine was a little noisy in that zone.

2. I noticed the Neutral Position Switch was acting up which can have some strange side effects on other models, not seen enough Legacys to confirm the effect here but I recommended changing it anyway.

3. I think the recently changed WG actuator needs a little more preload, from experience with 19T turbos on other cars I think it should be able to supply a little more air.

Duty cycle is Injector Duty not WG duty (we put a probe into 1 of the injector plugs to get RPM and IDC).

Now I have a lot more information I think we can certainly smooth things out and there is a fair bit more torque available, I'll reserve judgement on more power until I see if we can get a bit more airflow.

Andrew...

And in response to a question from a club member...
@AndrewC; The adjustable actuator seems nice, but isn't 1bar more then enough? Is there a chance that you can Tune my Legacy? I'm from Belgium and no-one has ever heard of a Legacy, let alone Subaru Where are you at?

I only brought it up about Mick's car as the boost tails away more than it did previously, this could of course be because I have added some timing but I know that a 19T is capable of producing more airflow.

Do you have a Tactrix cable? I'm more than happy to help you remotely.

As a matter of interest does anyone have any information about the cams used in the GT Spec B?

Andrew...

Original thread here if you are interested... http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph ... 994&st=100
Graphite

Postby kiahatsiu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:10 am

Wow, not bad. 227 kw at the wheels with an exhaust and a tune! I wouldn't look too far into the dyno numbers, but the AFR's are good so it is appears to be tuned well.
Have fun!

Edit: ah, flywheel.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Return to 2.0T engine specific