surging through the rev range particularly cold

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Postby 05gtwagonman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Oh, and i'm delighted to see that you have a sport grill on the front, this is the most eye pleasing mod I've done yet...
Sorry for spelling mistakes before, I'm crook, and tired, and I can't be bothered fixing them...
Whiteline rear sway, King lows, Custom quad tip muffs, Subi sport grill, HID's, Boost guage, JL slot port 12" off the standard mac, RB3l 18's ezeflash tune 150.9kw@4w 15psi 36degC...
05gtwagonman

Postby smythie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:43 pm

what was the outcome in the end? I couldn't make it out from your last couple of posts. Did you get it all done under warranty?
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby 05gtwagonman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 am

There was no outcome in the last two posts Smythie!

Here's the outcome...

After Subaru saying for serveral weeks that there was no unusual data and therefore no problem, I had a very stern word with the service manager, and stated as clearly as I could that the reason why they could find no problem is that they were attacking it from the wrong direction. They have a reactionary approach to diagnosis... IE: look at what it is doing and see what isn't normal. Chiptorque employed a proactive method. Ask the vvt to set exhaust valves to XXXX and most of the time it couldn't do it...

They still coundn't do this at Subaru, but they did at least decide to get another 2.0t gt and run diagnostics on it to compare. Then they found that there was a difference between the two cars, but couldn't tell us why.

Zupps were instructed to pull apart the vvt system and check it mechanically and electrically. They did this and found no fault.

In desparation (as they tell it) they went back to the very basics and in doing so found the timing belt to be one tooth out on the crank pully. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Told firmly that they had fixed it finally I dubiously booked the car back into chiptorque for the final tune, sure that they would report that there was no difference. That day was yesterday.

I can happily report that this has fixed the vvt woes. After the tune, the car runs far smoother and pulls like a freight train in the mid range!!! 8)
The last tune liberated over 100nm more at 3300rpm than the standard tune!!!!!! and now that the valves are working correctly they pulled a further 28nm :D
AND- now hold onto your pants- this was at an increase of 10 deg c amibiant temp in the dyno room. These cats pulled 150.9wkw at 36 deg!!!!!
This thing should be a rocket come winter time...

I can only assume that the car left the factory in this state of tune, and that none of the services have revealed this problem because under most circumstances, the variable valves and the timing can be advanvced or retarded enough to get the car running fairly well. But not at it's peak... :shock:

Bottom line- I get to have one of those really frustrating and protracted issues that send owners crazy, but mine was resolved (after 14 months )under warranty, despite the fact that this ran out on the 5th of march this year...

In the end, much thanks to Subaru and medium thanks to Zupps (did you guys need to drag your heels soooooooo much??? realy???)

The real heros in this tale turn out to be Chiptorque. With great service and good humour at all times, the guys there have been the epitome of service and what we are all looking for from our mechanical contacts...
After 14 months I can put this to bed- I have a really good car at the moment, and no reason to belive this won't stay the case..

Thanks to all for reading and helping with this thread..

Cheers, Rich.
Whiteline rear sway, King lows, Custom quad tip muffs, Subi sport grill, HID's, Boost guage, JL slot port 12" off the standard mac, RB3l 18's ezeflash tune 150.9kw@4w 15psi 36degC...
05gtwagonman

Postby Arith » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:41 am

Congrats on a winning outcome on such a stretched out issue. As long as you're the happy customer at the end that's what counts!

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Spec B Wgn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:20 pm

good result mate..

you stuck at it until it was fixed.

Nice power figure as well.
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby smythie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:52 pm

cheers for the description. One tooth out on the crankshaft? Holy shit! :shock:

great to hear you got it done under warranty. I still can't believe it was out like that *shakes head*
smythie

Postby 05gtwagonman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah seems a fair bit eh???
Would that be around 10 degrees?
It's amazing that it ran as well as it did. My local mechanic still has his doubts so he is planning to set a car up one tooth out to see how it would run... Glad it isn't going to be mine... I still have my doubts too, but the evidence seems to be stacking...
05gtwagonman

Postby smythie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:33 pm

yeah, I'd say 10 degrees would be the ballpark. How many teeth are on the crankshaft pulley? divide 360 by the number of teeth and you have the amount your car was out
smythie

Postby BlackGT » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:01 am

This post was awesome..may very well help others!
No longer Comin' through like a funeral all BLACK on BLACK
Now Comin' through like a polar bear at a funeral all WHITE on BLACK

435i Gran Coupé F36
19's, SuperSprint exhaust, BMR Custom Tune
Greater than 275kW's of fun

Used to have
2.0T Blackbeast with clutch

Cat Back Exhaust, CAI, ECUTek, Whiteline Swaybars Black 18's on Bridgestone RE050A's + DBA4000's & Hawk Performance Pads = >180kW of fun
With Dual Flywheel Exedy Clutch for that extra lift

Goodbye - 2011 Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Black on Black
BlackGT

Car: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Postby Q » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey Rich

Good to hear you finally got some satisfaction at last :D Its the most frustrating thing having your car playing up and Subaru being the same. Took me 3 months to get a new engine after the big end drama's so I sympathise mate.
How much did chiptorque charge for the work? Pm if you don't want to post it.

Rob
Q

Postby 05gtwagonman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Hey Rob, I did get a good deal, as I was the first Lib 2.0 that they did... You can just stump up for the ezeflash box with the same tune I got done for around $995 - at least last time I checked... I had to stand around for a fair while but that's why the first guy get it cheap I guess...
But if you have mods quite different to mine you would want to stump for some extra dyno time. Mine has sports muffs on so a bit less back pressure. Basically standard...
The most would be around $1800 full custom, but I'm sure it could be less with your powers of persuasion :lol:
It's not a pitch, but seriously, these guys are a long way from dickheads, they know what they are doing on a lot of different cars, and it really bodes well to see them work on mine as the first gt 2.0 and fault find as well as nail the tune. This calibre of tuner is about one in every cap city...
05gtwagonman

Re: surging through the rev range particularly cold

Postby Danners » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:57 am

Rehashing an old thread here... but i've got a 2005 MY04 Liberty GT with a similar problem. I don't think its quite as bad as your issue as there's no "pig rooting" as such but there is definitely a surge in acceleration.

I've never driven another GT before so I have no ability to compare power, but the car seems to be quite sluggish.

Thanks for the thread! I'll make sure the timing belt is done at 100K service!
Danners

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Previous

Return to 2.0T engine specific