Is there such a thing as a VF45 turbo?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Is there such a thing as a VF45 turbo?

Postby B4 Dave » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:35 am

Hi Guys,
Recently purchased an MY07 JDM GT-B wagon, advetised through this site.
I found an older thread on here started by Tangla about what turbo which led me to think I should have a VF38.
I took the engine cover off the other night and had a look, now I couldn't quite see it properly because of the location/angle I was looking at but I swear it read VF45.
That same thread i referd to earlier does not list a VF45 only a VF46.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers dave
MY 02 BE Liberty B4, current mods 3"TBE and exceedy heavy duty clutch, STI pink springs rear, King springs front,Whiteline sway bars front and rear, whiteline antilift kit. Future mods, tune.
MY07 JDM GT-B wagon sti edition with 6 speed manual. 3" TBE with stock mufflers.
B4 Dave

Car: MY02 B4 & MY07JDM GT-B Wagon

Re: Is there such a thing as a VF45 turbo?

Postby dr20t » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Congrats on a very unique purchase.

I thought the jdm legacy 07 Gt 2.0 litre used a twin scroll turbo like the version 8/9 wrx Sti??

If this is correct then the turbo would be a vf37

If I'm wrong (which I most likely am as I'm relying on memory here), then it may well be a vf46 single scroll just like the 2.5 ADM Gt.

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby champ » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:05 am

a "6" can look like a "5" if the left hand side of the character is smudge/worn/hidden/in shadow/etc.... :?:
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 am

VF36 would be a win! Didn't LegacyDan from Ireland make something bordering on unbelievable from a JDM GT with a VF36, something to the tune of 320 hp at the wheels? Come to think of it, he had to upgrade to the 36.
The VF36 is STI spec C RA turbo isn't it? Surely this thing is just going to be running a vf38 as per the ADM auto 2.0.

Ps. Sorry to use the terms ADM and JDM, it is too early in the morning for me to structure a post correctly.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby B4 Dave » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am

Guys,

I did actually read the numbers on the turbo, its either VF45 or VF 46.

From what I have read on here I am probably lucky that it isn't a VF38, something about them blowing up often!

Cheers
MY 02 BE Liberty B4, current mods 3"TBE and exceedy heavy duty clutch, STI pink springs rear, King springs front,Whiteline sway bars front and rear, whiteline antilift kit. Future mods, tune.
MY07 JDM GT-B wagon sti edition with 6 speed manual. 3" TBE with stock mufflers.
B4 Dave

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 am

Stolen from rexnet which was stolen from somewhere else. A list of all the VF that fits subi's.

After searching for ages in all sorts of places i thought i would put together a collaboration of everything i have found so far about the vf series turbos

VF22
This turbo has the highest output potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and is the best choice for those who are looking for loads of top end power. The top end power however, does not come without a cost. The VF22 spools significantly slower than the rest of the IHI models due to the larger P20 exhaust housing and is much less suited for daily driving than some of the other models. Although the largest VF series turbo, the VF22 is not quite optimal for stroked engines or those who wish to run more than 20PSI of boost.

VF23
This turbo is considered a great all-around turbo. Like the VF22 it utilizes the largest P20 exhaust housing. This housing is mated with a smaller compressor housing of the of the VF24. This turbo is considered optimal in applications with range from mild to slightly wild. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up significantly quicker.

VF24
This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23 however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group N rally cars.

VF28
This turbo came standard on the STi Version 5. In terms of overall size, it is smaller than the VF22, VF30 and VF34, and about same size as the VF23.

VF29
This Turbo is nearly identical to the VF24, with the same compressor and exhaust housings. However the compressor wheel in the VF29 is has been changed slightly. The changes made to the compressor wheel in this model are generally viewed as improvements, and as such this unit is typically chosen over the VF24.

VF30
The VF30 is commonly considered the best bang for the buck turbo in the IHI VF series line. A relatively new model the VF30 features the same exhaust housing as the VF24 but a larger compressor side similar to the VF22. The combination of these two parts results in increased output potential without the lag associated with the VF22. Although it doesn't offer the top end supremacy of the VF22, the VF30 is a great compromise between these unit and the quicker spooling models.

VF34
The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

VF35
The VF35 has identical internals as the VF30 and it uses divided thrust bearings. However, the exhaust housing is a P15 which means this turbo will have fantastic spool characteristics. This turbo is standard on the new WRX Type RA. LIMITED SUPPLY.

VF36
Roller bearing version of the twin scroll VF37, also has a titanium turbine and shaft for even quicker spool. Same compressor housing as VF30/34, however twin scroll P25 exhaust housing provides slightly better top end output due to reduced exhaust pulse interference. This turbo is good for 400HP and used on JDM STI Spec C from 2003 onwards.

VF37 (thrust bearing)
Enter the age of twin scroll IHI turbos. Same compressor housing as VF30/34, however has a new twin scroll P25 exhaust housing that provides slightly better top end output due to reduced exhaust pulse interference. Twin scroll also provides better spool up for improved low down response over the VF30/34. This turbo is good for 400HP and used on JDM STI from 2003 onwards.

VF38
Twin scroll turbo with titanium turbine and shaft. Smaller compressor housing than VF36/VF37 provides tremendous spool up capabilities but less top end than VF36/37. The spool capabilities of this turbo are demonstrated on the JDM Legacy GT, which reaches peak torque at 2400RPM.

VF39
Single scroll turbo used on USDM STI and latest 2.5L STIs released internationally. Smaller than VF30/VF34.

VF42
Exclusive turbo to the S203/S204 models, this features a twin scroll design with a slightly larger compressor than the VF36/37 turbos and different turbine design (more blades). The VF42 is a roller-bearing turbo and is likely of similar size to the VF22 turbo, but with twin scroll exhaust housing for faster spool and superior top end performance due to reduced exhaust pulse interference.

PE 1818 The 1818 supposedly comes on boost extremely fast...which make it great for road racing or aggressive driving (remember to be responsible :^). The 1818 maxes out somewhere between 350-375 hp.

PE 1820 The 1820 is larger than the 1818 and is capable of running more boost, but at the expense of more turbo lag. Expect it not attain full boost until you have passed 4000 rpm. However, it can be tuned to 400+ hp.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby B4 Dave » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm

This is the thread I refered to earlier in this thread, actually started by matt "swinging" not "tangla", sorry for the mix up.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2187&start=15

No need to reinvent the wheel 8)
B4 Dave

Postby B4 Dave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am

I am adding to this thread I started soley for completeness.

I have now managed to answere my own question after a lot of investigation and a bit of luck. So just in case anyone wants to know the VF45 turbo does exist!! It is actually the ball bearing version of the VF38 twin scroll. Fitted stock to all MY07 JDM GTB's running the EJ20, not sure about other models.

Probably the reason why the exhaust I bought from GT Tony fitted so perfectly, lucky huh!

Apparently spools up a bit quicker than a VF38 due to the different bearings.

Cheers and hope it helps someone.
B4 Dave

Postby dr20t » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

So I was sort of right ! :)

And quicker spool than a vf38??

Wow that must be super spool!!

My vf38 used to hit 14psi by 2500rpm

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby JSP » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:53 pm

B4 Dave wrote:I am adding to this thread I started soley for completeness.

I have now managed to answere my own question after a lot of investigation and a bit of luck. So just in case anyone wants to know the VF45 turbo does exist!! It is actually the ball bearing version of the VF38 twin scroll. Fitted stock to all MY07 JDM GTB's running the EJ20, not sure about other models.

Probably the reason why the exhaust I bought from GT Tony fitted so perfectly, lucky huh!

Dave,
Do you know if its a straight fit if you're replacing a VF38?
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
JSP

Postby B4 Dave » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 am

JSP wrote:
B4 Dave wrote:I am adding to this thread I started soley for completeness.

Dave,
Do you know if its a straight fit if you're replacing a VF38?

Hi Mate,
From the info I have gathered the VF45 is a VF38 with ball bearings instead of thrust bearings, so will bolt straight up. When I spoke to GCG turbos they had never stocked one so you may find it difficult to get a hold of.

Cheers Dave
B4 Dave

Postby tangcla » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:17 am

B4 Dave wrote:This is the thread I refered to earlier in this thread, actually started by matt "swinging" not "tangla", sorry for the mix up.

*shrug* I'll take the credit for it :P
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Return to 2.0T engine specific